Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 02:49:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Reaper adventurers  (Read 1798 times)

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
Reaper adventurers
« on: August 16, 2014, 10:13:43 PM »
Just a few pieces from a commission job. The flaming sword paladin (that I'm not sure whether is meant to be male or female but looked female as I painted 'her' face) and the dark elf witch are both Bones plastics. I'm not impressed with the material and in the case of these models which are just old metals re-tooled for bendy plastic, a poor choice by Reaper in my opinion. I painted the metal version of the witch not too long ago and there's a huge difference in quality between the two types of material.

The other paladin kind of left me a bit cold when I first saw the model but now it's painted I really like it and think he's got plenty of character. The rogue-ish elf has a really nicely sculpted face too.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
Re: Reaper adventurers
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 11:44:26 PM »
Too good as usual.  ;)

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2014, 05:06:47 AM »
Lovely painting :-*
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 06:45:44 AM »
So those were the two bones!

Even from here i can tell the difference... as i said in the other thread, considering their prices the bones are really nice, but there's no way they keep the same level of details of the metal originals... :)

Offline warburton

• Mastermind
    • Classic40K painting blog
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 11:36:53 AM »
Beautiful paintwork!

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2014, 02:58:00 PM »
As a war gamer (no interest in dioramas, collectible figures, or museum pieces) and someone who finds painting a chore (at best) I find the bones figures do quite well and are far more reasonably priced than the metal figures on the market currently.  I do not expect 1970s prices but when you get past $5 for a figure it becomes quite honestly not affordable (or worth it) to buy, base, and paint an army worth of figures.  Maybe a war band for a skirmish game not an army for battles.  More detail does not make a better line grunt figure for an army.

That said, and despite the fact the figures totally turn me off for some reason, you did an excellent job painting them.  Someone got more than their money's worth.

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline TheCimmerian

• Assistant
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2014, 04:38:32 PM »
Just too good. The colors are fabulous. The metal paladin is boss.

Offline Admiral Benbow

• The Queen's Own Gizmologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • "Creativity is a drug I cannot live without."
    • The Benbow Workshop
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2014, 04:51:11 PM »
Fantastic paintwork as usual! And your thoughts about that Bones stuff could be mine exactly ...
 :-*

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2014, 09:00:46 AM »
Thanks for the comments everyone.  :)

As a war gamer (no interest in dioramas, collectible figures, or museum pieces) and someone who finds painting a chore (at best) I find the bones figures do quite well and are far more reasonably priced than the metal figures on the market currently.  I do not expect 1970s prices but when you get past $5 for a figure it becomes quite honestly not affordable (or worth it) to buy, base, and paint an army worth of figures.  Maybe a war band for a skirmish game not an army for battles.  More detail does not make a better line grunt figure for an army.

I think Bones is very much aimed at gamers who want 'gaming tokens' in bulk but I'm surprised then that Reaper didn't go the whole hog and supply them pre-painted as well. The main problem though is that these models were sculpted with metal moulding and casting in mind so trying to shoe horn a different material into one of those moulds isn't guaranteed to work perfectly. And it doesn't with these. It's not about more detail, it's the huge loss of the detail and definition of the original sculpt that sucks. If a model was sculpted with Bones in mind then I reckon the end result would be more likely to look a lot better. I don't know if Reaper are producing models designed especially for Bones though, I'm not that up to date with what they're doing. Regardless of quality though, cost will always be a big factor for some people so I can see the appeal from that point of view. I'm just glad Reaper didn't do something really stupid like drop their metal versions in favour of Bones. I guess we get the best of both worlds.  :)

Online DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2014, 01:36:09 PM »
While the castings may be of inferior quality, your brushwork is as STUNNING as always. BEAUTIFULLY DONE!
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2014, 07:04:50 PM »
Not a fan of the minis themselves, but great paintwork!
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!