Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 07:49:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: What I love about this hobby is ...  (Read 10098 times)

Offline Pijlie

• Mastermind
    • Pijlie's blog
Re: What I love about this hobby is ...
« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2014, 05:08:11 AM »
I love a lot about this hobby. Collecting all those beautiful things! Building little worlds on the tabletop, straight from my mind's eye into the real world, standing before you. My family that asks me -before throwing something away- if I can use that piece of packaging because I was looking for something to use as a space station wasn't I? Inventing challenging game scenarios that baffle you with their sharp dilemmas and keep you hanging on to the last minute to see who wins. Painting figures which clears my head like nothing else and gives me toys to play with as a bonus. Tinkering with rules until you meet that magical moment where it all falls into place and feels like something real and thrilling. Sharing the experience with people at conventions through participation games and see their first-time joy just like mine blossomed years ago. That moment when w mother of a kid that just played my game asks for the rules so she can play it on his birthday party. Talking with gaming friends and sharing ideas, stuff and good times together. Being able to post on a forum like this.

In the last weeks I encountered a lot of negativity and rudeness in the hobby. So coming upon a thread like this one is a heartwarming experience. Thank you all for making this possible.
I wish I were a glowworm
'cause glowworms 're never glum
How can you be grumpy
When the sun shines out yer bum?

http://pijlieblog.blogspot.nl/

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2014, 07:20:49 AM »
The absolute vastness of the hobby, not just the period and the scale, the painting, the terrain, the reading of fiction and non-fiction, visiting museums and battle fields, watching reenactors and movies, spending time with other gamers, shows, shopping lists, checking new shinies and rules, LAF, ................ and so on.......
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2014, 11:48:39 AM »
<snip>

In the last weeks I encountered a lot of negativity and rudeness in the hobby. So coming upon a thread like this one is a heartwarming experience. Thank you all for making this possible.

That cycles in and out at times.  Hold on and let it wash over you without changing you.

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2014, 05:57:55 PM »

I hear that, I hear that.

Offline Archie

• Mad Scientist
    • The Grinning Frog
« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2014, 11:31:14 PM »
Thank you indeed to everyone who replied ... I didn't realise how much I enjoyed about the hobby until I found myself nodding and agreeing with, I think, literally everyones replies  lol

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #50 on: September 10, 2014, 12:07:43 AM »
I like the people, I like the general subject matter, i like working with my hands, I like to try new things and work on getting better at old ones, I like to paint and model and then play and show off, I just like mingling with 'my own' and in this hobby, that's what I've found!

I also look forward to having my own children and showing them off to this world!
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline Archie

• Mad Scientist
    • The Grinning Frog
« Reply #51 on: September 11, 2014, 10:47:41 PM »
I also like the fact I get to do lots and lots of imagineering.

I really like painting outdoors in the sun as well.

But mostly I just like thinking about stuff.

Painting outdoors... never tried that.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #52 on: September 11, 2014, 11:07:08 PM »
And here I thought it was only mad dogs and Englishmen... ;)  lol
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Muddypaw

• Bookworm
« Reply #53 on: September 13, 2014, 12:54:41 AM »
Great thread. Very positive!

My favourite part of the whole shebang is seeing an amorphous idea slowly emerge from the roiling mists of imagination. That conversion that exactly replicates a character, the hand made scenery that matches just-so your minds eye of how it was, the slow coalescence of history or fiction into tiny reality under your own hands until you step back and nod in satisfaction at a job well done and get to planning the next project. Fantastic stuff!  8)

It's as expressive an art form as any so called 'real' art and you get to act like a little kid while doing so.