Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 11:36:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The War of Duke Cosimo's Perucke (Picture heavy)  (Read 4278 times)

Offline Captaingeneral

• Scientist
  • BLOCKBUSTER
    • http://captaingeneral.co.uk
The War of Duke Cosimo's Perucke (Picture heavy)
« on: June 25, 2014, 11:33:43 PM »
After many false dawns Wardlaw and I have now built the main part of our armies and launched into hostilities!

The War of Duke Cosimo's Perucke is a late 17th century conciet of our Imagi-nations

the full story will unfold on my blog
http://captaingeneral.blogspot.co.uk/2014/06/the-war-of-duke-cosimos-perucke-ii.html

here is a brief extract...
In 1663 the Spanish ambassador to the court of Louis XIV noted that increasingly large numbers of wigs were being ordered and exported to England by members of Charles II's court, as its members aped the fashion of the Sun King, the leading light of European fashions and culture. Whilst wigs were available in England, the finest makers remained those of France, and particularly of Paris.

The Spanish court devised a plan whereby agents in France would send coded messages detailing the dispatch of these perukes to privateers at anchor in Santander, who would then intercept and sink the ships. Such was the demand for wigs amongst the English nobility and gentry, especially as the aging court (and not least the king) was growing increasingly grey, the Crown and country would bankrupt itself in buying wigs.

here are some pictures of the first action in the War the Battle of Granja Gancho
First some Spaniards..

Then the British

Horse in action

Battling

The Guards

Firepower!

Fighting at the Farm

In all a great days battling was had and the Spanish were forced to quit the field of honour, although there time of revenge would soon be at hand.

CG ;)
As the vulture flutters down,
The snake sheds it\'s dove,
Willem\'s cutting off his fingers,
So they\'ll fit into the glove.... http://captaingeneral.co.uk

Offline Phil Robinson

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://newsfromthefront-phil.blogspot.com/
Re: The War of Duke Cosimo's Perucke (Picture heavy)
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 11:37:52 PM »
Splendid looking game and figures.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 01:12:33 AM »
Splendid little armies. Very colorful.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2014, 09:52:04 AM »
Love the premise - its so daft its almost plausible !!!  lol
Good game, keep us informed.

Offline julesav

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2014, 10:46:07 AM »
Fantastic! I love the cavalry in baby blue and pink! What rules are you using for this project?
"Some scientists say that humans exhibit a behavior called neophilia, which is a preference for new objects. It’s why we like shiny new things."

Offline Big Martin Back

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2014, 12:14:06 PM »
Unless I'm very much mistaken, those are Wardlaw's lancer regiment.

Great to see it's all getting used at last.
Tutenes, Atque Cujus Exercitus?

Offline Captaingeneral

• Scientist
  • BLOCKBUSTER
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2014, 12:27:30 PM »
Thanks for the nice comments

Unless I'm very much mistaken, those are Wardlaw's lancer regiment.

Yes it is Martin and their first outing was rather ignominious!
see here...

Rules are my own concoction THE WARRE GAME initially written for my Thirty Years War Luetzen Project.
I'm intending to write them up and maybe get them printed, they employ lots of influences, and use the Command and Colors special dice mechanism.

CG

Offline Sparrow

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2014, 08:28:31 PM »
Looks great fun!!!
Put your trust in God and keep your powder dry!

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2014, 05:36:28 PM »
Great looking photos.
I have always loved this period for the uniforms.
Went to your blog, enjoyed it.
May I suggest that you switch your background color.
A light gray would make it easier to read the red printing.
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline Captaingeneral

• Scientist
  • BLOCKBUSTER
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2014, 09:32:19 PM »
Thanks Marine for the kind words and yes I'll amend the blog just as soon as I get back from my holiday (can't seem to do it via my iPhone)

I agree it's hard to see properly o_o

Regards

CG
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 09:36:58 PM by Captaingeneral »

Offline Captaingeneral

• Scientist
  • BLOCKBUSTER
Re: The War of Duke Cosimo's Perucke (now Part III) (Picture heavy)
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2014, 12:07:04 PM »
DUKE COSIMO'S PERUCKE
THE WAR CONTINUES...
Forcing the RIO RAZON

Following the repulse of our stalwart Expeditionary force at Cresta Larga the Duke of Oxford decided on brisk remedial action and led the army on a flank march to try and threaten the supply lines of the Cardinale-Infante's force.

The less than speedy nature of the advance allowed the Spanish force to adopt a defensive posture on the Rio Razon...

It should be said here that the good Doctor Jones and myself were trying out our new promotion rules to the Warre Game, which are described in a little more detail on the blog.
This allows for special attributes to be adopted by Regiments that perform well and there are choices to be made...which school or doctrine (ATTACK -DEFENCE - MANOUVRE) and then at each level of promotion there is an 'either or choice'.
We knocked up some cards to remind us what we had chosen for each Battalion.

Here is a shot of Rob's rather nice casualty marker (base by warbases) (figure by Front Rank) alongside the promotion cards adoptd by his aggressive Irish exiles!

The British force advanced in a rather stately fashion and the Spaniards were tempted into precipitous action, cutting a long story short the Oxford Blues resting on a low hill on the right flank (true to previous form) met the Spanish Lanceros charge at the halt with pistols blazing...

Checked them and then counter-charged down the slope of the Collina Ingles to send them back in confusion which dissolved into a second ignominious rout as the Blues followed up with back-swords!
In the centre despite the advantage of cover in a wood the Spaniah Regt. Bomberos were eventually ousted by the combined fire of the Queen's and Dumbartons second Battalions.

The key moment of the battle came when the 1st. Battalion Dumbarton's Foot advanced into the desultory fire of the Marquis de Tumbonas Regt. defending th riverbank...
Pausing briefly to salvo - they launched a furious charge across the river and fell on the Spaniards pell mell.

The resulting melee was short and sharp and saw the enemy choosing discretion as the better part, withdrawing (hastily) from the field towards the safety their fortified base at Rio Arroyo.

There were other twists on the day and not even the Wild Geese were able to resist.

you can read the full account here http://captaingeneral.blogspot.co.uk/

Both Generals have promised reinforcements as the Expeditionary Force close in on the key Spanish town for what promises to be the climax of this Summer's campaign and if Rio Arroyo falls it will spell the end of the blockade.

Offline nelsons-signal

• Bookworm
  • "engage the enemy more closely"
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2014, 09:48:27 PM »
Hello Captaingeneral,

a very nice game - I love the colorful uniforms.

Regards
Achim
"Dortmund Amateur Wargamers"