Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:27:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686647
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 788
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Small ship/boat  (Read 5756 times)

Offline General

• Scientist
Re: Small ship/boat
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2014, 01:55:34 AM »
I'd love to hear how you made the guns!

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2014, 03:08:44 PM »
Not at all ,There very easy!
The barrel is an old paint brush handle( we've all got them,that one haired monster you didn't throw away ,or the one you forgot to wash out,or the afro brush thats had a hard life dry brushing).
and card from a cereal packet,
You can make smaller guns by using cocktail sticks,cotton buds,or the plastic sticks from candy lollies.
I didn't actually save any of the pictures and emails,I sent to Bryan.I didn't think anyone else would ask how to make them,a little short sighted I know lol.
Bryan might post them if you ask him.If his Club's arms race has ended.
If not I'll make a couple more and post a step by step guide(its bound to. ruffle feather though)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 03:24:07 PM by tin shed gamer »

Offline Bryanbowdell

• Scientist
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2014, 10:54:35 PM »
This part of the build uses all the same methods,but is more of a guide than instruction's as its down to use and taste.(also how large a paint brush you're willing to cut up).
The raised platform.
cut two circles of thick card,
5.8cm,dia,and 4.5cm.
cover the larger circle with planking (same method as the boat).cut two strips of card each with an upper edge ridge(same as the hull) hight is upto you I made it 15mm under the ridge.
these are to go round the edge of the decked circle,leave a gap of about 20mm or closed your choice.glue them back to back ridges at the top.
when dry bend to cruve round the deck disk.(it will be easier to glue to disk if you pre curve the card)note don't seal the edge of the card until you've glued it to the deck disk.Then make and precurve a length of card to edge the disk at the opening.You should end up with some thing like the picture.
The 4.5cm disk requires a "+"shape making on the top 15mm high(or to taste).then add on the vertical ends of the '+' a 5mm wide strip to the full 15mm hight forming a'T' gurder. pre curve an edging strip 5mm and glue it around the base and level with ground leaving a lip which will attatch to each point of the '+'.once dry add bracing strips as in picture.these help keep the eye off the centre of the disk See picture (I use foam card as card didn't show up that well when constructed in the photo).
l would paint the two disk sections before joining them together.
This gun deck is quite a use full shape to know how to make and can be adapted to form part of a superstructre or look out post/watch tower.
Right the gun,its so simple once you've made one you'll kick youreslf for wasting money.
This is the first time I'm going to say use super glue( it can be done with pva ,its just faster)
The barrel ,if your paint brush handle has a rounded end great use it.if not it will still work.cut a 2.5cm length(rounded at one end)
Then cut another length 6cm.
lightly sand the cut ends.
on the 2.5cm make two 2-3mm wide pre curved strips and wrap them around the body 2mm in from the cut end and to taste from the rounded end.
on The 6cm (if its a tapered handle at the thicker end) wrap a 5mm strip around the body 1-2mm in from the cut edge.you'll need two 5mm strips glued together and place it to run along the 6cm length butting up to the 5mm strip wraped round the end(will be the breach see picture)then glue the 2'5cm length ontop cut end to the breach.On the cut/breach end glue a 2-3mm strip from the centre an to one side ,a thinner strip is then glued onto the 2.5cm cut end down to the barrel below.
The mount is very simple.
cut a circle 20mm dia(I would attatch a coin or washer to the underside its to cut down the wear and tear on the base)
then draw two lines 15mm apart ,then a centre line at 90°.on the bottom line mark 1cm either side of the centre line,and 5mm on the top to for a flat topped 'V' the mark 8mm point past the 5mm marks on the top line.draw a straight line down from each.You should have a rectangle with two lines '/\'inside cut out the rectangle the cut along the '/\'lines giving you three tri angles glue these onto the disk in a'+'.
then draw two lines at two thirds the hight of the gun barrel. draw a conecting line at90° then mark a point 3-5mm. on the top line to the right of the vertical, then at an angle you like draw a line from that point down to the bottom line where it meets the bottom line mark a point 3-5mm to the right and draw a straight line back up.
you should have a rectangle with '\'conecting two sides.Cut out the rectangle and then cut along the line giving you two 'tri angles' attatch one to either side of the barrel(see picture)then glue a strip conecting underneath the barrel to form a 'U' shape with the triangles.
This whole structure is glue on top of the '+' on the disk.
Thats a basic gun! handles can be made from disc's of card glued together (if you've a hole punch job done) with small bits of card or match standing off the disks.and glued where ever you feel neededs a handle.

Offline Bryanbowdell

• Scientist
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2014, 10:56:51 PM »
I have all the ship instructions saved on my e-mails if anyone wants them just PM with an e-mail address and I will forward them on. 

Once again, thanks Mark.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2014, 04:23:50 AM »
 :D You don't need to thank me,(I offered),Its been very odd trying to write down what I normally do with out thinking.
I'll be sat in a briefing,and will have it made in my head before you've finished telling me what it is you wan't making.
(Then if I'm honest,blurt out something like "it'll take two week" .To which the standard reply is " Oh -er, thats great"Then it dawns on me I havn't included anyone else in what I've been thinking.)
Rambling's aside ,those methods will work on any project,You can make a slate roof with ridge tiles, Saxon halls, WW1 tanks,and planes.
Mark.