Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:21:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689614
  • Total Topics: 118287
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Lancer Orcs complete unit done  (Read 5902 times)

Offline Lancer

• Librarian
    • lancerminiatures.com
Lancer Orcs complete unit done
« on: August 21, 2014, 06:00:40 AM »
The masters for the orcs turned up this yesterday, so got straight onto making the moulds, that all went well, so have started to build the stock levels up, ready for all the people who have pledged on kickstarter. The pictures of the unit are what the figures look like straight from the mould, no cleaning, just blue tacked onto the bases and blue tacked the shields on as well. I will start cleaning them up and  painting the unit in a couple of days ready for my own army, well chuffed how they have come out .
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/231062375/28mm-orcs

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
Re: Lancer Orcs complete unit done
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 07:26:32 AM »
Hey lancer. They look cool. I' e pledged for 10. Orcs and a shaman, would it be possible to get the leader by himself as well? Not really interested in musicians and standards. Add a couple of pounds to my pledge maybe?

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 07:48:06 AM »
Nice orkses. I don't have any use for orcs atm, but I hope they'll be around for a long time, hopefully with more companions, 'cause I'll probably want to make a greenskin orc army for God of Battles at some point, if I know myself well....  ::) And these would be great for a unit or two!  :)
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline 3 fingers

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 09:08:57 AM »
Just pledged £35 ,tempted to do shaman again on his own.

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 12:00:48 PM »
The masters for the orcs turned up this yesterday, so got straight onto making the moulds, that all went well, so have started to build the stock levels up, ready for all the people who have pledged on kickstarter. The pictures of the unit are what the figures look like straight from the mould, no cleaning, just blue tacked onto the bases and blue tacked the shields on as well. I will start cleaning them up and  painting the unit in a couple of days ready for my own army, well chuffed how they have come out .
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/231062375/28mm-orcs

Very nice but my sleepy brain envisioned the title to mean Orcs with lances...

While not my scale or style preference I find these very nice additions to those with 'oversized'  ;) figures.  I can see these in large numbers looking exceptionally menacing.  Stalin would love them...

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline Lancer

• Librarian
    • lancerminiatures.com
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2014, 10:32:58 AM »
Thankyou for your comments guys, and your pledges, beefcake add 1.50 that will do it, send me a message that way I wont forget, and I will get yours boxed up. Looking ahead I want to be able to do a complete army in my range,  it will take a while,  but my sculptor is up for it,  now lancer orcs thats a  thought.

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2014, 01:32:36 PM »
Thankyou for your comments guys, and your pledges, beefcake add 1.50 that will do it, send me a message that way I wont forget, and I will get yours boxed up. Looking ahead I want to be able to do a complete army in my range,  it will take a while,  but my sculptor is up for it,  now lancer orcs thats a  thought.

Digression alert.

In Chapzkas? (Chapkas??)  (however itis spelled...)  :o   o_o

I know it is shades of Flintloque but Orcs, Dwarfs. Halflings as Hussars, Lancers, Voltigeurs, Chasseurs, etc., always seemed like it would be visually pleasing.  I can't speak to the rules since I have never had an interest in playing the game I see in the AARs.   :-X

Back on Topic -

Some Lancers, on mounts not too distracting, would be very cool indeed. But remember I don't buy anything larger than 18 mm anymore so my view won't translate into $$$.  Only do it if it pleases you.

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline 3 fingers

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2014, 03:54:08 PM »
I love flintloque miniatures and have loads in the loft,I just adore their chunky rustic look,I was going to use some elves as tame martian soldiers for my sharpe in space style setting,but it's been shelved for now.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2014, 09:13:25 PM »
Thankyou for your comments guys, and your pledges, beefcake add 1.50 that will do it, send me a message that way I wont forget, and I will get yours boxed up. Looking ahead I want to be able to do a complete army in my range,  it will take a while,  but my sculptor is up for it,  now lancer orcs thats a  thought.
Cool. Just upped the pledge and sent a message through kickstarter.

Offline Lancer

• Librarian
    • lancerminiatures.com
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2014, 08:33:54 PM »
Glenn I only ever get figures made that I want myself for my own armies,  very selfish I know.  So now lancers have been mentioned,  I am thinking boar rider or something similar with heavy armour and lance armed, cant think how the lance would look need to work on that. Not sure I want boars but cant think of alternative.  This will drive me mad now till I get it sussed or I decide it was a silly idea and dont want any anyway

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2014, 08:35:44 PM »
Have you thought of lizards like Komodo dragons?

Offline Lancer

• Librarian
    • lancerminiatures.com
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2014, 03:38:14 AM »
Trouble with something like dragon they tend to be stocky so expensive in metal, unless I make him in resin, which works out a lot cheaper but would need to be multipart and would only be able to cast somany a day

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2014, 08:48:17 AM »
Trouble with something like dragon they tend to be stocky so expensive in metal, unless I make him in resin, which works out a lot cheaper but would need to be multipart and would only be able to cast somany a day

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://images.nationalgeographic.com/wpf/media-live/photos/000/005/cache/komodo-dragon_599_600x450.jpg&imgrefurl=http://animals.nationalgeographic.com/animals/reptiles/komodo-dragon/&h=194&w=259&tbnid=5xdLjnHp8iIuUM:&zoom=1&q=komodo+dragon&tbnh=150&tbnw=200&usg=__4jzmeMNvaCjHBx51N286Ju_7uSs=&docid=D4ldArHDvBheUM&itg=1&client=safari&sa=X&ei=rZb5U4SpA5atyASZjoCgDw&ved=0CIABEPwdMAs

Not so stocky, perhaps.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Komodo_dragon

In the wild, an adult Komodo dragon usually weighs around 70 kg (150 lb), although captive specimens often weigh more... According to the Guinness Book of World Records, an average adult male will weigh 79 to 91 kg (174 to 201 lb) and measure 2.59 m (8.5 ft), while an average female will weigh 68 to 73 kg (150 to 161 lb) and measure 2.29 m (7.5 ft)... The largest verified wild specimen was 3.13 m (10.3 ft) long and weighed 166 kg (366 lb), including undigested food...

The question is would these be big enough to bear the weight of an Orc? 

Compare them to horses:

http://animals.nationalgeographic.com/animals/mammals/horse/

Height at the shoulders, 30 to 69 in (76 to 175 cm)...

120 to 2,200 lbs (54 to 998 kg)...

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2014, 09:04:04 AM »
998kgs woah. That's a heavy horse. Just googled it too. Shire stallions, they can get even heavier.

Offline Lancer

• Librarian
    • lancerminiatures.com
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2014, 09:51:54 AM »
I am working on the principal orcs are heavier than man let's say 20st,  so it would have to be a heavy horse,  so shire or suffolk would be able to handle an orc ok, but of course every knows horses hate orcs so csnt use them. I am thinking in my mind how lizards would look in a 2 rank unit, and I do see a bit of a problem,  bloody great tail mainly, and if the orc is siiting astride it, the lizard would have to be tall ie a big one, so I can see a nice character figure sitting on his favourite steed with a big lance, but not a unit. So still thinking