Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:58:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Rugged Adventures  (Read 2958 times)

Offline mwowm

• Schoolboy
Rugged Adventures
« on: August 07, 2008, 04:08:20 AM »
Our group played our first Rugged Adventures game tonight. I GM'd being the only one that had play the game before. That being at Historicon, and a hoot.

We had been using .45 adventures, but they were turning into real or perceived min/maxing of the skills battle. Rugged adventures appears to be vague enough that that will not happen, of is at least easily rectifiable.
 The version I played at Historicon seemed to be an updated version of what I downloaded from Murch's site. My question; is there a yahoo group or discussion board for Rugged Adventures as I have been unable to find any.

THANKS

Offline Tom Reed

• Mad Scientist
Re: Rugged Adventures
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 04:43:41 PM »
I really like the Rugged Adventures rules. There is not a yahoogroup as far as I know, but it would be cool if there were one. I would like to know if I can get ahold of an updated set of rules.
Jane! Stop this crazy thing!

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 07:10:29 PM »
Aren't they on Pulp Miniatures website?

http://www.pulpfigures.com/downloads/rugged.pdf
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline Grimm

• Two-time LPL Champion (Season 2 and 3) Supporting Adventurer
  • The Colonial Tales Winner
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Grimms-Hangar on Facebook
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 07:29:59 PM »
I wish I have the possibility  to play them one day .
You guys know I am a 45 A. fan but I am not so stupid that I diden´t wish to palytest a other game .
Please let us know how the gameing was .

have fun Grimm
ttps://www.facebook.com/pages/Grimms-Hangar/196455560521708

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008, 01:59:40 AM »
Aren't they on Pulp Miniatures website?

http://www.pulpfigures.com/downloads/rugged.pdf

Yes, the link still works, and it's still a free download.  The link to Rugged Adventures is at the bottom of the intro page to Pulp Figures.  The next page you see after clicking the link starts with an intro to Bob Murch and then has some stuff about Rugged Adventures.  If that's up to date then the rules are still in development.  I just downloaded another copy.  Thanks for the link!
Sailors have more fun!

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2008, 02:03:57 AM »

We had been using .45 adventures, but they were turning into real or perceived min/maxing of the skills battle. Rugged adventures appears to be vague enough that that will not happen, of is at least easily rectifiable.

Could you explain what you mean by that?  I don't have .45 Adventures, but I've been reading Gloire and comparing it to Savage Worlds and I'm curious how these things play out.  Nobody else in my extensive gaming network has tried these games out yet, and I've played in only one game of Savage Worlds so far.

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2008, 02:43:56 AM »
Skill min/maxing works when players decide that it is easier to kill one another off instead of trying to complete the scenario. They then bulk up on combat skill combinations that allow them to cause the most carnage.

You'll find it in almost any game system that people have played for a while. They find certain combinations that work very well.

To get around this in the games I run, I set up the scenario so the winner is not the "last man standing". For example: you could set one scenario up on a snow-topped mountain. Gunfire risks bringing an avalanche down. Or set a turn limit that precludes players being able to just sit and shoot. One person told me about a player that would simply bypass the Encounter Markers and make for the obvious goal. I get around players like that by requiring them to have a key, map, sacred stone, etc. before they can enter the final area.

In the end, though, a wise gamer once told me that if you put two wargamers at a board and tell them their models have no weapons and are separated by an impassable river, they would still find a way to fight each other. So you just have to let players be players. If they have no interest in doing anything but fighting, let them. If they want challenging games but often find themselves just fighting because one player starts it, then design scenarios that penalize those who spend their time in combat.

As long as everyone has fun, that's all that matters.
Richard A. Johnson
On Facebook: Rattrap on Facebook

Offline Tom Reed

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2008, 03:32:21 AM »
heh heh heh What Operator5 says is right. I once played in a game where two of the players kept trying to get at each other, no matter what the scenario was. Thir characters finally ended up being imprisoned by the bad guys, hanging from their cells ceiling by their wrists. Then they started swinging and kicking each other!

Offline Joe Fish

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2008, 10:36:17 AM »
Concerning Rugged Adventures:

I have used this set of rules to fight "Rick O'Conor vs the mummy," a multiple platoon attack on a defended village, and most recently an attack by a giant squid on a fishing boat.  All three games were a 'hoot' and showed the game can be used for anything I can dream up in the Pulp world.

The adjustment of the combat ability and the addition of a few skills in the rules can be cleverly applied to make a very interesting character.  A good set of rules, especially if your players want to run small groups of figures versus a single figure or two in a game.