Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:03:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Re: AWI Skirmish Project (Command Team Complete July 17)  (Read 11589 times)

Offline TheWeasel

• Bookworm
    • Weasel Miniatures
Re: AWI Skirmish Project (Command Team Complete July 17)
« on: August 22, 2014, 04:36:20 AM »
For several years I've wanted to paint up my own set of AWI Redcoats. From a gaming standpoint, the Corps of Marines is a flexible force that can be used in proper AWI battles, as well as being useful in naval games and [ahem] Pirate [ahem] games. Also I happen to reenact this unit, so it's kind of close to my heart...

The model used is from the Perry plastic AWI British Infantry set, which was nothing short of a joy to paint, and represents the beginnings of my 28mm Crown Forces. I appreciate their detailing, especially the attention to all the small fixtures on the muskets.

The second figure out of my recruitment depot [painting desk] is the first NCO of the force.

A little more detail is on the blog. I'll be adding there and here as progress is made.

Thanks for reading!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 04:34:19 AM by TheWeasel »

Offline TheWeasel

• Bookworm
    • Weasel Miniatures
Re: AWI British Marines
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 04:57:57 PM »
Update! A detachment of 8 is now ready to go ashore:

Overall they've been a fun paint so far, but I've learned a few lessons on the way. More waxing philosophic at the blog, of course (picture is link).

Thanks for reading!

Constructive criticism is quite welcome, btw.

Offline ACW Gamer

• Scientist
    • Raven Banner Games
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 06:02:53 PM »
What makes them marines? The white facings?

Offline TheWeasel

• Bookworm
    • Weasel Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 06:15:39 PM »
Yes, indeed, it's the facings. At this point in history, the Marines are not yet Royal, and their facing color is white. They were used rather extensively early in the war as a combined land battalion, hence the inland basing.

Of course, there are other white faced regiments as well, but these have little fouled anchor buttons, if you look closely  lol

In the end, they're Marines mostly because of intent.

Offline General Lee

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 10:21:13 PM »
well done sir. good looking lobster backs  :D
\"It is well that war is so terrible, or we should grow too fond of it.\"

Offline DoctorPete

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 01:44:05 AM »
Those are very nice and fit with one of my ideas:  operations of marines along the Carolina and Georgia coasts intercepting rebels smuggling goods and powder/shot.   :)
I am not a quack!  I'm a mad scientist.  There IS a difference!

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 10:22:58 AM »
Very nice indeed. :-*
May i ask that you also put 1 or 2 pics of your reenactment uniform as painting guides to us all as well as a possible link to your reenactment group web page?
Its helpfull for us gamers to have real uniforms as guides to paint our minis.

Offline StuRat

• Assistant
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2014, 06:15:25 PM »
You need to redo the eyes so the Rebels will know when to shoot when you play Bunker Hill...
Wait, I can't let you give me your last eight dollars. Here's five back.

Offline janner

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Laughing Cavalier
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2014, 12:56:20 PM »
Nicely done.

One thing you might want to consider with figures featuring so much white is differing the base/shade colour from grey. For example, a very light, almost sandy brown can work very well on breeches

Offline TheWeasel

• Bookworm
    • Weasel Miniatures
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2014, 06:02:27 PM »
Thanks so much for the feedback!

Below is a picture of me in my Marine impression. My guys are in the yellow facings, as we are changing from the 29th Regiment over to marines. So far I'm the only one who's completed the new uniform. The other regiments in the picture are from some our other local groups (bonus references for painting!). Most of them are the 33rd Foot (red facings with double bastion looped lace), as wella s the 7th Company Coldstream Guards Grenadier Company with their characteristic caps. The 33rd is a paragon of authenticity, and their webpage is here.. My group of Marines have not launched our website as of now.

The lack of white of eyes is part of my meta-game cheating. If they can't see them, they cant fire  :D. More seriously, I paint eyes on my heroically scaled figures, but when I do up more reasonably proportioned historical models, I think eyes give the figure more of a cartoony look than I aim for.

The base color for small clothes  and facings are both coming from the Vallejo game color equivilant of the old Citadel bleached bone, but I'm afraid I still have some color correction to learn with photographing miniatures :/

In any case I'm working on the second tray of these, as well as some Connecticut Line to face them; WIP photos to follow soon.

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2014, 08:24:08 PM »
Very usefull information.
A "marriage" of reenactment and wargame is perfect for we all can play both 1 to 1 scale and also in other ones. :D

Offline ACW Gamer

• Scientist
    • Raven Banner Games
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2014, 04:02:58 PM »
A "marriage" of reenactment and wargame is perfect for we all can play both 1 to 1 scale and also in other ones.

When I win the lotto, that is how I am going to war-game:  Re-enactors for figures and two tethered hot air balloons for the players.  First game will be the Alamo at the Alamo Ranch in Texas.

Offline TheWeasel

• Bookworm
    • Weasel Miniatures
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2014, 08:25:55 PM »
ACW Gamer, when you do win the lottery, please PM me...

I do find that the two hobbies of wargaming and reenacting work well together. They often inform each other, and not only in uniform minutia. They offer each other a wealth of interesting battle scenarios, and performing drill from the Manual Exercise yourself certainly helps with the posing of plastic figures.

I admit I've had the same thoughts about scales, rumacara.

UPDATES:
The second group of Marines, as well as some Continentals have their smallclothes and regimentals painted, and are awaiting finishing touches such as skin and darklining around the cross belts. Progress photos will be up soon.

In the mean time, I've run a battle to test out the cards for the AWI expansion for Sharp Practice ; With Fire and Sword:

The game itself is somewhat WIP, as scenery, figures, and rules are still being finalized. More in-depth report & assessment on the blog.

Offline archiduque

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2014, 11:53:00 AM »
Nice work!!

Offline TheWeasel

• Bookworm
    • Weasel Miniatures
Re: AWI British Marines (2nd Detachment Finished)
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2014, 01:08:41 AM »
Hello again, and thanks for the kind words!

After my latest painting frenzy, allow me to present the second group of completed British Marines.

After struggling with the first group, these were constructed as one unit together on their movement tray to ensure that they ranked up a bit neater. I am, however, still not entirely confident in my paring of the musket arm to the left arm from the sprue. Is it paired to the arm adjacent or across from it?

I always seem to have some difficulty mating the arms with the torso and each other without leaving a gap somewhere.

As of now I'll be taking a short hiatus from the redcoats to work on some of the Continental Line infantry, which will be posted here next.

Comments & constructive criticism welcome, as always, especially if it pertains to how to line up the arms better!