Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 05:32:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690726
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Re: AWI Skirmish Project (Command Team Complete July 17)  (Read 11615 times)

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
Re: AWI British Marines (2nd Detachment finished 9/23/14)
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2014, 10:13:38 AM »
Nice ones. :-*
Now you have to add some sailors for a landing party. :D
Galloping Major just released a pre order of sailors for the 18th century.

About the arms why dont you put a small amount of green stuff to disguise it?
It might work and its easy to do.

Offline TheWeasel

• Bookworm
    • Weasel Miniatures
Re: AWI Skirmish Project (Continental Line added 9/25)
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2014, 03:50:00 AM »
Thanks for the tip on green-stuffing the arm gap, and I'm glad you like the progress so far. I think the next group of Marines (and most certainly their command staff) will get that treatment...

I do have some Navy in the works, but they may be a bit too late for this period, as they are Napoleonic era sailors. Those in monmouths and tarred hats should play both parts just fine, but the top hats and fore&aft bicorns would stand out a bit...

Marching in to oppose the redcoats, I've finished the first squad of Continental Line. I did the initial test figure to see how the brown coated uniform would work a little while back (forgive the reposted image).

Working from here, here are the first 8:

And comparison with the Marines...

To keep the models more identifiable on table, because the brown with red facings can be taken as redcoats at the glance, I modulated color on the small clothes to keep them looking a bit earthier and a little less uniform than their British counterparts.

Of course I do ramble on a bit longer about it on the blog, but I'll spare you here. These were finished somewhat hastily for a game, but I'll probably go back for some further detailing on the faces, which look a bit bare for my preferences.

Thanks again for reading!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 04:40:53 PM by TheWeasel »

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2014, 09:26:11 AM »
Nice ones. :-*
Both armies are growing steady.
Looking great.
About the sailors if you mix 1 or 2 like the one painted in your web page that´s ok but they are more early 19th century in my humble opinion.
Trousers where larger and many would use short trousers instead of long ones.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 09:31:14 AM by rumacara »

Offline TheWeasel

• Bookworm
    • Weasel Miniatures
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2014, 06:12:39 AM »
Again, thanks! Agreed on the sailors. I started painting those before I knew I'd be doing Marines for an earlier period; they're meant for my Napoleonic era skirmishes...

Now for some updates. I've written a scenario for a large skirmish action based on the Battle of Harlem Heights, that I ran on the anniversary weekend of the actual battle. My full report is not yet ready, but as a teaser I staged a small scene of the Landing at Kip's Bay, Sept. 1776, that preceded the action.

Stay tuned for the full battle report to come!

Offline sespe

• Librarian
Re: AWI British Marines
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2014, 11:42:50 PM »

The lack of white of eyes is part of my meta-game cheating. If they can't see them, they cant fire  :D.

I would most respectfully submit that we don't need the eyes as aiming points!  Here is me forming up the Weasel's opposition at the same event.  (Small world, I guess)

Offline TheWeasel

• Bookworm
    • Weasel Miniatures
Re: AWI Skirmish Project (Landing at Kip's Bay added 9/30)
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2014, 08:55:34 PM »
I would most respectfully submit that we don't need the eyes as aiming points!

You don't??!! I guess I can stop squinting now, then...

Very small world indeed! Great to run into friends, even online.

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
Re: Re: AWI Skirmish Project (Landing at Kip's Bay added 9/30)
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2014, 10:13:25 PM »
Nice painting, I look forward to following your progress (and giving me the push to start my project).
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline TheWeasel

• Bookworm
    • Weasel Miniatures
Re: AWI Skirmish Project (Landing at Kip's Bay added 9/30)
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2014, 05:23:28 AM »
After much ado, I have finally finished my report on my Battle of Harlem Heights skirmish.

The scenario I put together was intended to distill the overall action of the historical battle into a more manageable game size (read: I only have so many figures...) I believe the game we played captured the spirit of the battle quite well, to the chagrin of my little redcoats. The Sharp Practice bonus deck had cards to improve British firepower, and to both boost and handicap militia morale, as they were a bit of a wildcard in the actual battle. More photos and rambling available for your distraction on the blog.

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: AWI Skirmish Project (Battle of Harlem Heights added 11/13)
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2014, 10:17:58 PM »
Nice battle. :-*
Your collection is groing steady.
Keep it coming.

Offline Gangleri

• Scientist
Re: AWI Skirmish Project (Battle of Harlem Heights added 11/13)
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2014, 08:56:13 PM »
Lovely stuff.  They look quite imposing all ranked up.  I'm glad you forwent the all-too-ubiquitous blue uniforms for the Continentals - the other variants are much more exciting, I find.
Now what is this whole life of mortals but a sort of comedy, in which the various actors, disguised by various costumes and masks, walk on and play each one his part, until the manager waves them off the stage?

http://stokefield.blogspot.com/

http://wellrallyonceagain.blogspot.com/

Offline TheWeasel

• Bookworm
    • Weasel Miniatures
Re: AWI Skirmish Project (Mounted British Officer added 5/4)
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2015, 05:08:49 AM »
I hope I am not breaking any forum rules about threadcromancy, but I am finally able to post an update on my ongoing (and sometimes infrequent) AWI project.

After some weeks of labor, allow me to present my mounted british officer, sculpted by Perry Miniatures. He represents many hours of glazing, but I feel it was worth the extra effort to achieve a smooth transition in the highlighting, especially on a centerpiece figure.

As always, the blog has more photos and a longer stream of consciousness.
I have also been playing around with aperture and shutterspeed settings on my wife's camera, and I think I am getting closer to a good working set up for shooting minis.
Next in the works is a command group on foot to lead the Marines, though I am still not certain they carried colors in the early campaigns of the war, and it is quite difficult to get any source about their musicians' uniforms...

Offline Baron von Nickedoften

• Assistant
Re: AWI Skirmish Project (Mounted British Officer added May 4)
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2015, 07:39:05 AM »
Nicely done - not often one sees a genuine "horse marine".

I was intrigued by your Haarlem Heights re-fight.  Have you tried the HH scenario in the third "British Grenadier" scenario book?  (You don't need to use the rules, the scenario books are "stand alone".)

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
Re: Re: AWI Skirmish Project (Mounted British Officer added May 4)
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2015, 09:16:13 AM »
Lovely addition - from the reds to the basing. Well done.

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2015, 11:30:26 PM »
Well painted. :-*
That base is very nice.

Offline TheWeasel

• Bookworm
    • Weasel Miniatures
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2015, 09:54:21 PM »
not often one sees a genuine "horse marine".
  lol  ...maybe he is in to water polo? (He is inspired by Maj. Pitcairn, who rode to Lexington on horseback.)

Thanks for the kind comments, I appreciate the feedback.

The base is fairly simple, using Vallejo pumice paste, static grass, and some birch seeds leaves.

As to the HH scenario, I had created my own for my game (which left some room for improvement, especially in game-balance), but would love to see how a scenario written by someone who knows what they're doing plays out. I'll have to check out the book, and the ruleset, too.

In terms of updates, the figures for the foot command are nearly finished, and I am finding a little more in way of sources that point toward the use of colors by the Marine land batallions at the outbreak of the war, though they are hardly primary documents. I may use a more generic colors for a white-faced regiment. (Of course, if anyone has any insight or sources on the subject, I am all ears) More photos to come soon!