Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 08:41:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: wet pallette!  (Read 1693 times)

Offline The Black Rider

• Librarian
wet pallette!
« on: August 13, 2008, 08:52:12 PM »
is there any tutorials around the web on how to use these effectively? I need some advice! The idea sounds good but I just ended up painting like I normally do but with slightly more wet paint!

Also do you guys make yours or do you buy them from the art store? I made mine from instructions i found from coolmini.

Offline mwowm

• Schoolboy
Re: wet pallette!
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 04:32:53 AM »
if we're talking about the same thing-
 I use a rectangular tub -w- a lid that pesto came in.
   - put a not sopping wet folded paper towel in the bottom.
   - cut a slightly larger than the bottom of the container piece of parchment paper in the bottom.
   - add paint and then ~paint the minis
The main benefit is that the paint remains viable for a long time, a few weeks. This is especially good if you are mixing up a custom color and are painting a unit as I usually am. Or when painting up a unit and you need to go touch up something you don't need to blob out more paint.
Of course I paint strictly to get figures on the table and not for any showcase or award so I'm sure that any subtleties of the technique are lost on me.

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 09:10:36 AM »
What he said.

I make my own too.  The idea is to keep the paint wet.  This helps me no end as I don't paint particularly fast and often mix my own colours on the palette.

It won't affect the actual way you paint as it's not a painting style or technique.  It is, in essence, a method of keeping quick drying acrylic paint usable for longer without the use of additives.   :)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 09:16:47 AM »
There are several elaborate articles on CMoN. I don't know, I am not THAT cheap with my paints and I don't often I need custom mixed nuances to be EXACTLY the same. A wide range of paints and a painting log does the trick for me.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 08:20:04 PM by hammershield »

Offline The Black Rider

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 06:46:11 PM »
thanks for the help.

I think my layering just needs to be brought up to scratch i guess! I thought I was building the thing wrong too :)

Offline Sendak

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 04:35:48 PM »
I'm not a quick painter.

I really benefit from my homemade wet pallet. The contain I chose has low sides and a cover.

The low sides are convenient for me. I am able to get to the paint easily.

The cover allows me to 'seal' the container easily.

I havent notice that I waste any more paint than when I used a glass saucer for a pallet.

Luck!
"Primative life is very common and intelligent life is fairly rare, some would say it has yet to occur on earth." Stephen Hawking