Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:47:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686596
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Eilif's Toybashing and More (12/17 Alpha Strike in 10mm)  (Read 70914 times)

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
Re: Urban Terrain Week. (Sept 2. Elevated Train Station)
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2014, 11:54:25 PM »
That's unpossible!

Shades of JimBibbly awesome, but almost ready made. Mind you, I'd never get the paint right, but that IS a find!

Doug

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2014, 12:47:54 AM »
I'm telling you Doug, the painting is actually REALLY simple. I have to paint fast-and-dirty or my ADD takes over and I loose interest. Hence it's just...

-Prime Black
-Drybrush on the main colors. It's ok if it's a bit messy.
-2 dark brown washes. Put them on heavy and let it sit for a few hours to pool and make rusty dirty patches.
-Drybrush the entire thing with tan to make it look dusty and smooth over any places that were too uneven.
-Sometimes I go back again and drybrush additional bits of orange and metalic on metal surfaces, but I don't think I did any of that for the train station.
-Varnish
-Done!

Offline supervike

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • supervike's stuff
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2014, 01:58:01 AM »
Really fantastic stuff.  I love repurposed items like this!

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2014, 12:27:08 PM »
And I'm telling you...

I
Don't
Paint.  

I know; I should be drummed off LAF and TMP, and hung in effigy on the front pages...  :'(

Doug

Edit: By the way, I think I got the Hot Wheels build reversed in my comments; I'll try to get a piccie and straighten it out.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 12:29:05 PM by The_Beast »

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2014, 05:40:33 PM »
And I'm telling you...

I
Don't
Paint.  

Sorry to hear that.    :'(

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2014, 06:28:48 PM »
Sorry to hear that.    :'(

lol

Rather a nasty handicap, but, as I admitted freely, I've a few generous friends who find my delirious ramblings and thrift store finds worth pottering with if only for the amusement factor.

If you look at the Battletech Alpha Strike thread, you'll find one of those stalwart lads in Sean.

Doug

Offline Jan

• Bookworm
  • English isn't my first language. Forgive me. ;)
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2014, 10:15:12 AM »
Hi Eilif,

i like your stuff very much!  :)

And: I WANT THIS CAR LAUNCHER / BOOSTER THINGY !!! ;)
I can't find it with help of a well known search machine. Can you help me? Does anyone know the name of it exactly?

Greetings,
Jan
X-Wing | Oak & Iron | Old West & Sci-Fi Skirmish (WiP)

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2014, 06:02:36 PM »
Hi Eilif,

I can't find it with help of a well known search machine. Can you help me? Does anyone know the name of it exactly?

Greetings,
Jan

Thanks!

It appears to be out of production and I can't find pictures of it anywhere. If you want to search for it, I think the official name is "Hot Wheels booster" A few alternatives I've found:

Here's the current vesion, which isn't very expensive and definitely has some potential. Lots of good detail on it.
http://www.toysrus.com/buy/race-tracks-play-sets/hot-wheels-kidpicks-booster-p2840-3372590

There's also this 4-way version that could be cool. Very similar stye, but more walkways. I think it's still available some places.
http://www.toysrus.com/buy/race-tracks-play-sets/hot-wheels-kidpicks-booster-p2840-3372590

Lastly, There's an earlier version which is much the same shape and features, but with much less greebling.
http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/2/0/7/2/2/8/webimg/700196424_tp.jpg
I recently picked up one of these in blue.  It is still appearing in some sets today.
http://www.toysrus.com/buy/race-tracks-play-sets/hot-wheels-kidpicks-super-6-in-1-track-set-p8428-3532866

For my sourcing of toys-for-terrain, it mostly comes down to regular visits to resasale shops and just using what I find there. I rarely buy this kind of stuff at stores or ebay, though there are exceptions such as the "Power City" construction sets I recently found.
http://chicagoskirmish.blogspot.com/2014/08/terrain-triptych-part-2-power-station.html

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2014, 08:09:43 PM »
Hi Eilif,

Greetings,
Jan

My son has the set!😃 I showed  him the pic. He said Dad u can't  have it. I'll  bide my time. Lol.
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2014, 03:20:12 AM »
Actually, there've been several found in different boxed sets, some similar, some nothing like.

I thought I put another one up, not the cut in half I mentioned.

Doug

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2014, 10:56:18 AM »
Actually, there've been several found in different boxed sets, some similar, some nothing like.

I thought I put another one up, not the cut in half I mentioned.

Doug

Cool!  I like the color scheme and the overhead walkway.  Looks like it's just begging to be part of a necromunda layout.

Offline 3 fingers

• Mastermind
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2014, 08:33:27 PM »
I've been keeping my eye out for a cheap multi level garage for necromunda terrain,my concern is the buildings match scale wise ,but the car ramps never do,as their for hot wheels sized cars,I suppose they would work as walkways though?

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2014, 09:17:33 PM »
I've been keeping my eye out for a cheap multi level garage for necromunda terrain,my concern is the buildings match scale wise ,but the car ramps never do,as their for hot wheels sized cars,I suppose they would work as walkways though?

If you want to use it for 28mm cars, then I recommend keeping your eyes out for the Disney "Cars" Parking garage. I think it's OOP now, but I see them from time to time at my local resale shops.  The distance between floors is pretty big (bigger than I like) but the ramps were made for cars that were roughly 1/48 scale.  Mine was just 2 bucks resale and didn't come with anything but the base garage piece, but that didn't matter since my whole goal was to disguise the "car park" origins of the piece.  I cut away all the tabs that ramps would fit too and even ground away the various guides edges that were meant to direct the cars.

Also, the classic Fisher price Little People Parking Garage (which went through many iterations from the 70's thorugh 90's) scales really well for 28mm cars and minis. I almost bought one the other day. (I should have bought it) but I just couldn't think of where I was going to put it. It's huge.

Offline 3 fingers

• Mastermind
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2014, 08:30:39 AM »
Thanks ,I did consider removing the ramps,I did buy a imaginext fire station for £3 at bootsale to use as a terrain piece once it's had a respray.

Offline Jan

• Bookworm
  • English isn't my first language. Forgive me. ;)
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2014, 07:35:00 PM »
Hello again,

thanks! I know there are some variants of the Hot Wheels Boosters, BUT ANYTHING looks as cool as the thing you got there. So my Mission on Sunday was to find the name of this thingy an find someone who sells it. I searched for hours in the internet second hand adverts and images but everytime i found some of the newer and older variants. Unbelievable!  >:(
Now i am half Hot Wheels expert.

But in the end i found what i searched for.  :D
Hot Wheels Power Charger from 1994

There was a Power Charger Pack (without tracks = perfect), a Starter Set and a Power Loop Set, both with tracks and one charger.

This thing seems to be an "US only toy", but it is just a guess. No one sells this thing here in germany. Bad news. But luckily TODAY this Set of 4 power charger packs sold on ebay. Boxed. Never used!  WTF?! :o
http://www.ebay.de/itm/291233433517?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Thank you, my Dice-God!  :-*
Got it for laughable 13 US $. Seems not to be a valuable thing for hot wheel fans?! Bad news are 35 US $ for shipping, but... ok.

I hope they now will find the way to me. Have to build up my generic scifi table like eilif, my idol.  ;)
Is it a sin to open and paint new chargers in   original packaging?

Oh my gosh, now i started a new project and i am buying tons of other Hot Wheels stuff. Second Hand is nice!

Greets,
Jan
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 08:42:38 PM by Jan »