Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 05:45:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Eilif's Toybashing and More (12/17 Alpha Strike in 10mm)  (Read 71687 times)

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
Re: Eilif's Urban Terrain and More (3/21/22 Paw Patrol Spacecraft Underway)
« Reply #240 on: March 22, 2022, 09:32:45 AM »
There has been Paw Patrol stuff in ASDA recently. I've looked at it, but couldn't see a way to turn it into anything useful :(

Guess I shall have to look again, as that shuttle is looking great

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #241 on: March 22, 2022, 11:50:05 AM »
Thanks for the kind words folks.
As for acquiring this sort of thing, for me it's literally the luck of the draw, whatever I find at my local resale shops.  New, this ship retails for 60 bucks. More than I'd pay, but still many times less than one would pay for a ship this size. There are examples for 30 on Mercari however that are much more tempting...

Put up a blog post with more information about construction including lists of the bits used.
https://www.chicagoskirmishwargames.com/blog/2022/03/paw-patrol-jet-becomes-sci-fi-spacecraft-part-1-construction-begins/

Continuing the paint work.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2022, 12:04:25 PM by eilif »

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #242 on: March 22, 2022, 11:53:24 AM »
Interior paint continues.

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #243 on: March 30, 2022, 06:47:10 PM »
Bought a large lot of terrain from my friend to add to my terrain supply, and especially for this year's Adepticon.  Feels weird to buy completed terrain items, but it's really useful stuff. Blogged them here:
https://www.chicagoskirmishwargames.com/blog/2022/03/mech-attack-layout-improvements-for-adepticon-2022/
Includes a few shots of slightly more progress on the Spaceship and a HUGE menards office building.
I'm most excited about the Massive Black Site Studios container Ship, Seen here at the edge of my Mech Attack city table.  It's all finished assembly and comes painted in a basic scheme, but I'm going to have some fun doing additional paint and weathering.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2022, 06:49:37 PM by eilif »

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Eilif's Urban Terrain and More (3/30/22 bought some terrain...)
« Reply #244 on: April 07, 2022, 05:59:45 PM »
Still haven't quite finished up the spaceraft, but I finally got the post up about our Mech Attack convention game at Adepticon.  After 3 years off, it felt fantastic to be putting on event games again. 8 players, a full signup list and there was about as many folks on a waiting list!

https://www.chicagoskirmishwargames.com/blog/2022/04/aar-mech-attack-battle-at-adepticon-2022/

The real joy is that my son was old enough to help for the first time and he seems to have been bitten by the wargames bug.  He just finished putting together a crew of figures from Stargrave sprues and once they're painted, a game of planet 28 might be in order. Will post more about that in the future.

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Eilif's Toybashing and More (4/7/22 Mech Attack Battle Report)
« Reply #245 on: April 09, 2022, 04:01:53 AM »
My son is assembling his first sci fi warband (pics later) so I've jumped in too with my first figures in a couple years.
An as yet unnamed anthropomorphic Sci-Fi crew. A nice chance to paint up an eclectic mix of figures that I've collected over quite a few years.
Row 1
Rambo Rabbit, 1980s Metal Magic
-Turtle Guy from North Star. Originally for Rogue Stars
-Lion Guy, same as above. With Chaos SM power sword
-Rhinocerix, Super Villain -Reaper 50262 Chronoscope
Row 2
-Skraw, the last Armadillion Reaper 50292,
-Maelstrom's Edge Contractor with Stargrave Crew raccoon head.
-Monterey Jack Cowboy Mouseing. Reaper (discontinued?) With Heasslefree Grymn machine pistols.
-Unknown sci-fi dog. 

If anyone can tell me the origin/name of the dog and the names of the North Star figs I'd appreciate it. It's nice to be working with minis again though  I'd forgotten what a pain it is to remove cast-on bases.  Removing a mouseling tail from it's base is no cakewalk

I'm going to base these up on a set of Micro Art bases that I got in an Adepticon Swag bag some years back. At least two of these guys were similar freebies and at least half of the others were bargain bin finds.  Gotta love free and cheap!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2022, 04:37:24 AM by eilif »

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Eilif's Toybashing and More (4/10/22 building/lighting starship bridge)
« Reply #246 on: April 10, 2022, 12:13:56 PM »
Some progress made building the Spaceship bridge.
Mostly Mantic ” Starship Terrain” pieces. Seat is from a 1/43 die cast toy car with GW and Denizen bits

Also installed two half size, non flickering, LED tea lights. One in the bridge and one in the hold. I included a pic of the one I put in the roof of the hold.

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #247 on: April 20, 2022, 07:22:05 PM »
Not that I need another project but I was recently clued into the existence of the ”Disney Pixar Lightyear Hyperspeed Series Armadillo” and I had to buy one ASAP. 

Picked up my Armadillo at Target this morning and I'm blown away. This is one of the best and most practical toys for 28mm Wargaming I've seen in quite a while. Only 25 bucks and really needs no conversion at all.  The retractable landing gear is a nice touch. Big enough to be convincing but small enough to take up minimal table space. It actually fits in the Paw Patrol Command aircraft hold!

The figures have slightly outsized legs but are spot on 28/29mm sole to eye. Slimmer and more realistically proportioned (except for the female's legs) than Stargrave (rt), but very much in line with Lead Bones(lt).

Next I've got to figure how to disassemble this for painting and minor interior modifications.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2022, 07:27:00 PM by eilif »

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #248 on: April 20, 2022, 07:23:44 PM »
Inside the mother ship....

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
Re: Eilif's Toybashing and More (4/20/22 Armadillo light lander)
« Reply #249 on: April 20, 2022, 07:47:51 PM »
Gosh another great find - now we have a little one inside a big one - coming together nicely I see.

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #250 on: April 22, 2022, 11:28:46 AM »
Ooh; that is a very nice find! 8)

I find that I'm always drawn to more and more small space craft, even though I don't really need any extra by now... ::)
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #251 on: April 22, 2022, 03:57:53 PM »
Thanks folks.

Golgotha,
     Finally started back painting the cockpit for the big one.  Going to try to excercise self control and not start painting the small one till the big one is done.

Daeothar,
I am drawn to almost any affordable spacecraft.  I can't help it.  If I get too many, I can always do what I did before and sell them off.  This one does seem particularly notable though.  The size, style and type is just so useful in so many games/settings.

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
« Reply #252 on: April 22, 2022, 05:01:17 PM »
Ooh I hope that the Armadillo goes on sale in the UK. Looking at some of the Lightyear Hyperspeed vehicles and pods I think there will be aq fair few adapted for the wargames table.
Waiter, my soup is giggling.

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #253 on: April 22, 2022, 05:49:06 PM »
Yeah; this is now on my hitlist.

And the big robot droppods look pretty useful too, especially in 15mm...

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #254 on: April 25, 2022, 03:09:12 AM »
Finally got a chance to work on the Bridge, Control area and Pilots. A little more paint to go, but it's shaping up nicely I think.