Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:17:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686458
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Eilif's Toybashing and More (12/17 Alpha Strike in 10mm)  (Read 70896 times)

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
Whichever way it goes... Looking forward to it all... Keep 'em coming...

Do like the interiors.

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
Whichever way it goes... Looking forward to it all... Keep 'em coming...

Do like the interiors.
Will do!

Dual Scale interiors is something that I want to keep doing even if it's not that practical for gaming.  The yellow ship (pictured here for those who might not remember seeing it)

Already has a cockpit area with action figure seats, but if I can make the seats removable, I can probably just make a removable floor for 28mm figures.

Sort of like a removable version of the floor I put in this one...
https://www.chicagoskirmishwargames.com/blog/2018/06/tutorial-spacecraft-2-medium-cargo-lighter/
...one of the ships I most regret selling.

Offline Hawkeye

• Mastermind
Excellent! The dual-scale idea is absolute genius - I agree with you on the notion of how often a piece of terrain/starship gets used, and this is one way to see it getting table and play time. Fantastic stuff. Oh, and I love that the lights survived the spray-painting - they definitely add a lot of atmosphere.
Sono Pazzi Questi Romani

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
Excellent! The dual-scale idea is absolute genius - I agree with you on the notion of how often a piece of terrain/starship gets used, and this is one way to see it getting table and play time. Fantastic stuff. Oh, and I love that the lights survived the spray-painting - they definitely add a lot of atmosphere.
Thanks!
I'm really happy about the lights as well. I'm pretty sure I'll at least add interior lights to any such project in the future.

Offline Grimmnar

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Eilif's Toybashing and More (7/8/22 Finished 28mm Starship Teaser)
« Reply #274 on: August 02, 2022, 08:03:07 PM »
Lol I actually meant what brand etc, but I guess if they are used, it does not matter.

Baltimore literally has NO good used toy/thrift shops :(
SAVERS in Parkville is a good place to hit.
There is a second hand shop in the Rosedale area that could be of some use.

Grimm

Offline KGatch113

• Librarian
« Reply #275 on: August 03, 2022, 03:39:19 AM »
SAVERS in Parkville is a good place to hit.
There is a second hand shop in the Rosedale area that could be of some use.

Grimm
I was just thinking I needed to hit Savers.

The place is Random Treasures. Apparently it is banking on the wrestling figure market to keep it afloat. MOst of its stuff is from the past few years.

It is also in a shopping center that reminds me of a set from a zombie movie....it is all quiet, you start moving through it and then hordes of the undead will come rushing out. Next time I go down I have to remember to go armed.

I grew up 2 minutes away...the library within site of the place is where I read my first book. It makes me sad to see how rundown the place is.

Offline Grimmnar

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #276 on: August 10, 2022, 01:12:53 AM »
The place is Random Treasures. Apparently it is banking on the wrestling figure market to keep it afloat. MOst of its stuff is from the past few years.

It is also in a shopping center that reminds me of a set from a zombie movie....it is all quiet, you start moving through it and then hordes of the undead will come rushing out. Next time I go down I have to remember to go armed.
That's the place. Haven't been to their new place. I only ever went at the old location.
Had plenty of goodies when I went.

Grimm

Offline manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
 Charity shops are a great source for cheap toys for kit bashing.Also car boot fairs have lots of cheap stuff on offer.

Always great to see what others make of what they find.

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
Charity shops are a great source for cheap toys for kit bashing.Also car boot fairs have lots of cheap stuff on offer.

Always great to see what others make of what they find.
Car boot fairs are something we don't have here that I'd love to see someday. We do have something similar in swap meets though.

Found this bit of weirdness today for $1.50 at one of my favorite teams shops. Three one sided Hogwarts walls and instructions on how to use them to make an HP cake. They're around 10mm'ish which I don't use, but I'm thinking maybe a backdrop...
« Last Edit: August 11, 2022, 01:22:21 AM by eilif »

Offline manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
 Should work well for 15mm gaming.Good to fill up the edge of the table and that extra bling to the game.

There are also toy and train collectors fairs over there which can yield some nice finds.Not as cheaply as the car boot sales though ;).

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
Toy and model train can offer allot to wargamers.  Especially on a budget.   Built buildings in less than perfect condition have very little value to railroaders but can be great for wargamers.

I bought a bunch of Plasticville 0/S scale buildings for a couple bucks each.

I also help sell the excess for my local train club.  I sold a box of imperfect HO buildings to a wargamer for 25 bucks for 15mm gaming.  I frequently pickup O scale stuff for wargaming (the club is HO) for myself from that excess as well.

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
My second "Cheap Sprue Review" is WGA Einherjar which gave me a reason to do scale pictures with all my varied Squats and Space dwarfs.
https://www.chicagoskirmishwargames.com/blog/2022/10/cheap-sprue-review-wga-einherjar-space-dwarves-and-a-squat-roundup/
It's Squaterriffic!

« Last Edit: October 04, 2022, 10:06:56 PM by eilif »

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
Re: Eilif's Toybashing and More (10/3 Space Dwarf Review!)
« Reply #282 on: October 05, 2022, 08:59:28 AM »
They all work well together :D

The GW AOS steampunk dwarfs aren't too bad scale wise with the Wargames Atlantic figures. I've done head swaps between them with no problems. I'm not sure about the Necromunda ones or the new GW ones yet. I really hope you're wrong with your size estimates, as 26mm seems too big to be useful. Having said that, I'm building some Necromunda Corpse Grinder figures just now, and the smallest of those are 32mm to the top of the head. Scale creep, again :(

I am planning to buy a box of the new ones, but they're only part of a stupidly expensive initial release just now  :(

The "mystery steampunk" dwarf on your blog post is from Reaper. You should find him in the Chronoscope line, Willy something or other

I have some of the Mantic ones, but I'm not crazy on the fantasy carryover, as you noted. However, the one in your lineup is making me rethink that decision...

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #283 on: October 05, 2022, 08:59:15 PM »
A couple folks have mentioned the AOS dwarves. I wasn't familiar with them, but since of the conversions I've seen since look quite good.

Unfortunately the Necro Squat and Votaan size estimates have since been confirmed by others.  They are freaking giant.

Thanks for the IDing of Willy. Much appreciated.

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #284 on: October 18, 2022, 05:24:20 PM »
Just got in a bunch of figures from a 3d printer I just discovered.
http://wargamerprinting.com/
 I ordered several sets of not-Star-Wars figures and I'm pretty impressed.  Looking around it looks like these are a fairly common and easy to license set of STL's from a reasonably well-known sculptor, but these are the cheapest prices I've seen.

I refuse to scale up and buy into the expensive FFG chit-storm that is Legion, but I want to game Star Wars someday.  So, for the past few years I've been acquiring 28mm'ish SW whenever possible.  Imperial Assault, model kits, WOTC CMG figures (and some metal) etc.   These will be a welcome addition.  Will post a few pics tomorrow.  When they'll ever get painted is an open question, but there is a little voice in my mind saying to buy what you can now just incase they get C&D'd out of existence.

Also, in Memoriam...
  One of my biggest pieces of terrain ever built, the Fisher Price Parking Garage, has left the club. 
https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=70480.90
It was built for a friend in my gaming club but came back to me when I bought his whole wargaming collection as he left the hobby this year.  It hadn't been used in years and was more tied to a modern setting (which I don't game in) than any of my other sci-fi-suitable structures.   Sold at a local game store auction for the starting price of $25.  Feel weirdly melancholy about it, but hopefully it's getting good use in someone else's games.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2022, 06:19:19 PM by eilif »