Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:53:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Project Border Ruffians  (Read 8760 times)

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
Project Border Ruffians
« on: September 08, 2014, 10:49:14 PM »
Or, how watching a game of Dead Man's Hand at the club hosted by co - author, Mark Wheatley, has led to another project ...

So, my other projects are in reasonable shape and it's time to see what this DMH malarkey is about.

I was at Partisan at the weekend and rather than buy another Black Powder supplement I thought I'd get the DMH rulebook and Legend campaign books. I'd had a game with Big Mark's mate, also called Mark to keep things simple, and I'd seen enough to know it's right up my board walk. Fun, atmospheric and most of all I won't need a shed full of figures.

Browsing through the back issues at Wargame Illustrated, I came across an article about the Kansas/Missouri Border Wars and also  an article about gaming Bushwhackers and Jayhawkers.

Well that was it, I ordered the Redoubt Bushwhackers set and now I need to think about some blue bellies ...
"Ho, ho, ho! Well, if it isn't fat stinking billy goat Billy Boy in poison! How art thou, thou globby bottle of cheap, stinking chip oil? Come and get one in the yarbles, if ya have any yarbles, you eunuch jelly thou!"

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Project Border Ruffians
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 06:38:35 AM »
If anyone has any mounted/dismounted Union Cavalry, Jayhawkers or Redlegs that will fit with Redoubt do shout up.  :)

(well) Painted or unpainted. Cash/PayPal,  exchange etc.

Best, James

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 08:11:56 AM »
James, It might be worth posting this in the bazaar?  :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 12:39:02 PM »
I have chap  :)

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 01:12:00 PM »
Good luck, I hope you find some. Its a nice take on the usual Old West options and Redoubt would be my first choice for the ACW. Great figures, lots of character and lots of options with all the separate heads etc.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 01:18:44 PM »
I havent seen the Redoubt figures. Played DMH a few times and agree a great fun game. I have a few posses already.

I also wondered about taking it south of the border into Mexico or perhaps Major Dundee style  :D

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2014, 06:35:00 PM »
Thanks fellas.

I need to brush up on the Border Wars.

So many projects, so little time ... :D

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2014, 09:09:41 PM »
Foundry have  a nice range, bit pricey but mounted and dismounted like the redoubt ones. Also a new company but cant remember their name, think their figures were in the WI article

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2014, 09:15:25 PM »
Company D  ;)

Offline BaronVonJ

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • Quality gaming, every Thursday night...
    • the Baron's Blog
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2014, 05:30:06 PM »
Being a diiii-rect descendant of one of Quantrill's Raiders, this thread is right up my alley. Nobody, IMHO has done miniatures right for this. The Foundry ones are waaaay off. Most of the guerillas on both sides tended to carry a brace of pistols. At least 4 guns and sometimes up to eight (great grandaddy wore 6). They were easier to use from the saddle and didn't need to be reloaded like the carbine Foundry has everyone sculpted with. The movie "Ride with the Devil" does a great job of not only covering the conflict, but showing how they dressed (big fancy shirts, for example) and how they fought. However, Quantrill especially, would have his men dress as Union Regular Cavalry, only turning their U.S. buckles upside down (don't have to worry about that at 28mm). I'm working on a scenario for the 1st Battle of Independence. Need any info or books  just PM me.
-J

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2014, 08:57:19 AM »
This sounds like an interesting take on things.
Looking forward to seeing your progress.
 8)

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2014, 09:59:07 PM »
Right fellas, I've been busy ... I have coming:

Bushwhackers

6 x dismounted Redoubt Guerrillas (plus a couple of suitable Foundry and Artizan figures)
4 x mounted Redoubt incl Bloody Bill Anderson
5 x mounted Company D

Union Guerrilla Hunters*

6 x dismounted troopers with pistols
6 x dismounted troopers with carbines (I did think about muskets but wanted the Spencer Carbines)
3 x mounted troopers with pistols
3 x mounted Command

* all Redoubt

BVJ -so if I read you correctly, I could actually use the Union troops as Quantrill's raiders and the Guerrillas as Jayhawkers? Awesome  :D
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 10:07:57 PM by H.M.Stanley »

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2014, 10:06:13 PM »
Being a diiii-rect descendant of one of Quantrill's Raiders, this thread is right up my alley. Nobody, IMHO has done miniatures right for this. The Foundry ones are waaaay off. Most of the guerillas on both sides tended to carry a brace of pistols. At least 4 guns and sometimes up to eight (great grandaddy wore 6). They were easier to use from the saddle and didn't need to be reloaded like the carbine Foundry has everyone sculpted with. The movie "Ride with the Devil" does a great job of not only covering the conflict, but showing how they dressed (big fancy shirts, for example) and how they fought. However, Quantrill especially, would have his men dress as Union Regular Cavalry, only turning their U.S. buckles upside down (don't have to worry about that at 28mm). I'm working on a scenario for the 1st Battle of Independence. Need any info or books  just PM me.
-J

PM sent Sir

Offline BaronVonJ

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • Quality gaming, every Thursday night...
    • the Baron's Blog
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2014, 02:54:09 PM »
Yes, you could. In the 1st battle of Independence, MO Quantrill tricked the Union Commander into thinking his men were Union cavalry. He was gunned down in the street.
PMed you a book list. Tons of literature, unfortunately, most is dated, or tainted by local sympathies.
-J

Offline Go player1

• Bookworm
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2014, 06:14:16 AM »
I have reviewed the Redoubt site and see three guerrilla figures only.  Is there a "bushwhacker set" as mentioned in the original post?