Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 07:03:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Pigment leaching through varnish  (Read 1611 times)

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
Pigment leaching through varnish
« on: August 19, 2008, 01:48:38 PM »
Can anbody help me with this? It happens occasionally when I varnish over heavily pigmented coulours, especially red, blue or brown. It also is a real problem with inks.

I let the miniature dry for a good 12 - 24 hrs, then give it a coat of GW 'Ardcoat (gloss), which is also left to dry for 12 - 24 hrs.

Then it gets Dullcoted (brush on, can't spray in the loft or I'd die) very thinly, and again left to dry with more Dullcote being applied as necessary.

Does the Dullcote eat through the gloss? Should I give it two coats of gloss, or more? Why is it only certain colours it happens to? Why doesn't the government do something about it? Who was that masked man?

Any advice is appreciated, I must be doing something wrong, but it drives me mad because it doesn't happen all the time, so I can't predict it or figure it out.  >:(

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
Re: Pigment leaching through varnish
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 01:54:21 PM »
Can anbody help me with this? It happens occasionally when I varnish over heavily pigmented coulours, especially red, blue or brown. It also is a real problem with inks.

I let the miniature dry for a good 12 - 24 hrs, then give it a coat of GW 'Ardcoat (gloss), which is also left to dry for 12 - 24 hrs.

Then it gets Dullcoted (brush on, can't spray in the loft or I'd die) very thinly, and again left to dry with more Dullcote being applied as necessary.

Does the Dullcote eat through the gloss? Should I give it two coats of gloss, or more? Why is it only certain colours it happens to? Why doesn't the government do something about it? Who was that masked man?

Any advice is appreciated, I must be doing something wrong, but it drives me mad because it doesn't happen all the time, so I can't predict it or figure it out.  >:(

I have never had this happen however I only use 1 type of varnish...perhaps there is some chemical reaction with the thinners/activating chemicals between the two?

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 02:31:30 PM »
I've noticed inks doing this but never when I've used water based colours under a mineral solvent coat. So that's may be your solution.

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 02:33:42 PM »
This is a "known issue" with Dullcote brush-on.

Happened to me once.  Dullcote over Humbrol gloss.  It was explained that I must have "missed a spot" with the gloss.  Acrylic paint began to "bubble."

Only happened the once because I never used the Dullcote again.  I think there are solutions which I didn't bother to read because zero use of the stuff was my own fail-safe solution.  The stuff stank to high heaven anyway.

I now use Daler-Rowney Soluble Matt Varnish.  Low-odour despite being spirit based.  Flat as matt can be  :)

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 02:36:24 PM »
Hmmmm. Thanks guys. Something to think about there. My bottle of Dullcote is getting close to empty, so I may try another brand when I need some more.