Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 11:05:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: US Forces, Early War in the Pacific  (Read 6065 times)

Offline Grimjack

• Scientist
  • Z List Wargames Industry Celebrity
US Forces, Early War in the Pacific
« on: September 10, 2014, 11:05:00 AM »
Apart from the lovely Pulp Figures packs, does anyone know of suitable figures for this part of the war or figures which can be adapted?

I am after US Army and Marines, plus supporting Filipino troops, for actions across the islands during the initial Japanese assaults.  ???
Remember: the dice are not your friends!

Offline SBMiniaturesGuy

• Mad Scientist
    • SBMiniguys Blog for all things OstFront
Re: US Forces, Early War in the Pacific
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 05:59:48 PM »
I would suggest Company B for it's SNLF miniatures, Vehicles and support weapons for PacWar: http://035f399.netsolhost.com/companyB_harbordesigns_snlf.html

Brigade Games has a very extensive line of PacWar minis: http://brigadegames.3dcartstores.com/Pacific-War--WW2_c_30.html

TAG also has a great PacWar figure line: http://www.theassaultgroup.com/

Cheers!
Play the game, not the players!
http://sbminisguy.wordpress.com/
Author for THW/NUTS, Rebel Minis, HR Games

Offline lou passejaire

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 11:12:59 PM »
it's me or early war US marines have some kind of "british" helmet ?
Dans les situations critiques, quand on parle avec un calibre bien en pogne, personne ne conteste plus. Y'a des statistiques là-dessus.

Offline Etranger

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014, 03:14:45 AM »

They did at Wake Island.

Shame you're not doing this in 15mm as Eureka have great coverage for the early Pacific war. Can't help with 28mm.
"It's only a flesh wound...."

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2014, 03:31:20 AM »
Yes, US forces wore a "British" style helmet prior to the introduction of their own unique rounded as distinct from the inverted soup plate. Not sure when the new style was introduced and the soup plate clearly shows them as early war forces, most of whom went into the cage. Not sure how many got off Java or Bali, anyone got any good references for the US in that theatre?

Cheers,
Poiter50

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2014, 05:58:03 PM »
I'm really interested in getting a few interwar marines or US Army. I would love to find out if someone made 28mm US Army/Marines in interwar/early war kit. Here's a picture of some interwar pacific station marines in daily wear, though they're not in full combat dress.

This is changed from the previous version (pre-WWI through to 1926) which was similar but had puttees instead of high boots or gaiters and a stand-up collar (and probably a bunch of minor differences I don't know about and which you might not see on a 28mm mini).
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 06:12:25 PM by FramFramson »

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 06:45:52 PM »
Further research seems to indicate that for regular US army, the interwar kit greatly resembled WWI kit (which makes sense given how drastically Army funding was cut post-WWI), other than the collar change (from stand-up collars to rolled down ones) around 1926 (implementation varied across the services, but not later than 1927).

Coats also changed in 1926 from a greatcoat with high collar, to the later jacket so any figure after that should have the familiar WWII-era coat.

Anytime during the interwar period, Officers should all have Sam Browne belts (Introduced in 1922) well into 1942 (discontinued then for reasons of economy). 

Interestingly, the only headgear allowed by either the US army or the marines in the interwar period was either the helmet (as mentioned, the soup plate Brodie helmet), or the broad-brimmed campaign hat. Peaked garrison caps were only for formal occasions. At least, until 1933, when side caps (which had been used in WWI, but discontinued in 1919) were reintroduced, but only for armoured, mechanized, or Air Corp units.

Leggings were canvas gaiters or puttees and ankle boots by dismounted ranks, or brown leather gaiters and boots by armoured and mounted troops. So this mirrors the Marine image I posted above. In general interwar army and Marine daily-use uniforms were very close (again because of costs).

One difficulty in using WWI figures, is that trousers were more flared (not quite full-flared riding breeches, but something in between them and regular straight trousers - my photo above is a perfect example) from the 20's until 1938, when straight trousers began to be issued to regular infantry and other dismounted units. However, since some units (in particular, officers) retained them into the early war days, you probably have the freedom to choose or to just let it slide.

Combat field equipment should be the M1923 cartridge belt and M1928 haversack, which were both used well into mid WWII.

Complicating things is that in hotter areas, light cotton chinos or herringbone twill (rarer than the cotton) were issued, but I think that under gear and webbing you won't see much difference since the cut was the same. The main thing is that the cotton stuff was a khaki while the HBT was often olive drab (which turned out to be a big problem for visibility in early pacific combat).

This is from 1942, but is from stateside training and shows the herringbone twill uniform carried over from earlier, including older helmet:

So you might be able to use WWI figures and you might be able to use WWII, but either way you've got some converting to do.

Offline genew49

• Student
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2014, 10:26:17 AM »
A little late to this party but I just found this photo of my father the other day. He entered the US Army in March of 1942. My guess is that this photo was taken during basic training. This is the only picture of him in this style helmet.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/27058906@N02/15282767421/in/set-72157647764550831

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2014, 08:29:14 PM »
Wow, really cool!

And that is absolutely the older style of uniform. I guess they must have retained those to issue to new recruits while the field guys got new kit. Perfectly sensible.

Offline huevans

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2014, 10:49:47 PM »
Wow, really cool!

And that is absolutely the older style of uniform. I guess they must have retained those to issue to new recruits while the field guys got new kit. Perfectly sensible.

Looks like that recruit got a brand new Garand M1 rifle though. Marines were still using the Springfield on the 'Canal a year later.

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2014, 12:21:26 AM »
Wow, really cool!

Looks like that recruit got a brand new Garand M1 rifle though. Marines were still using the Springfield on the 'Canal a year later.

Look like a 1903 Springfield to me... ;)
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline huevans

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2014, 02:09:55 AM »
Look like a 1903 Springfield to me...

I was actually referring to the colour photo in the forum thread itself.

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2014, 03:12:03 PM »

ah... my bad, sorry! lol

Offline CorvetteK225

• Librarian
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2014, 03:26:05 PM »
A khaki uniform was issued into the 1970s. It was used routinely as a field training and/or garrison uniform through the war's length. It was not seen in use as a regular combat uniform after the Philippines though.

Follow the link for a listing of standard clothing issue to a typical US Soldier from 1945: http://the70thdivision.blogspot.com/p/mandatory-allowances.html