Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:48:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: In the Emperor's Name - First Game  (Read 1639 times)

Offline sean_68333

• Scientist
    • Sean's Gaming and Shooting Blog
In the Emperor's Name - First Game
« on: September 12, 2014, 04:08:26 PM »
I played my first game of In the Emperor's Name.

I believe this is a precursor of In Her Majesty's Name, but I'm not 100% sure of that. Either way, it is very similar, but with a 40K theme and fluff. I liked it and it is a good use of all those 40K models that I have.

I posted a write up of the game on my blog.  http://gamingandshooting.blogspot.com/2014/09/in-emperors-name-first-game-aar.html

The battle field.

The winning player isn't always the better player.

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
Re: In the Emperor's Name - First Game
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 05:47:45 PM »
I'd say Craig Cartmell would claim 'related'; certainly because he had so much to do with each. Check out the related links at the bottom of the page.

Did you play with Randy? I see you set up at the front of the store. Heresy!  lol

Will read the AAR with relish soon as the phone stops ringing.

Oh, and as for the incomplete TH, still could be a crashed objective.  :D

Doug
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 05:52:10 PM by The_Beast »

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 06:05:22 PM »
Nice Writeup and excellent pictures. I like the background you set for the battle, which really harkens back to the RT era when Orks were mercs as often as they were on waagh.

Out of curiosity did you use the 2nd edition rules (from Craig's website) or the third edition rules from the ITEN website?  I've played both versions. While 3rd is on the way to making some nice adjustments to the rules, the incomplete nature of the weapons lists, and not having a retinue file, makes me recommend 2nd edition.

Offline sean_68333

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 08:05:36 PM »
@Doug:  I played with Nathan for the first game.  Randy and I played last night.  Still on the front table.  Different scenario with Orks versus a Space Marine Scout Sniper contingent.  I will be doing a post on that game in the near future.

I think the TH will work as is.  Maybe it is just a different model with no tail fin.  It is the future.  I'm sure some new technology has been created so the tail is no longer needed.

@eilif:  We used 3rd edition.  They have published a pdf with weapon stats.  I used the 2nd edition retinues for stats plugged those into the 3rd edition retinue builder for the correct point costs.

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2014, 09:39:13 PM »
Well, never really had much interest in 40K, even back in RT days, though there were some damn fun spots, but I guess I have one question about In the Emperor's Name: Are there Squats?

Doug

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2014, 10:52:00 PM »
Thanks, I was just curious. I'll have to check the weapons PDF and see if it's been updated. Last time it was missing alot of the special rules for many weapons that were in 2nd edition so many of the weapons were very samey.

Offline sean_68333

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2014, 10:58:45 PM »
@Doug:  There are squats.  The rules allow you to build whatever you want.  So you could make Zoats or even see how your squats would fair against some Daleks.

@eilif:  The weapons are pretty similar; not a lot of special rules.  I like that.  Remember, this isn't a game to replicate 40k, it is set in the universe, but is not just a squad level version.

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
qwty
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2014, 12:58:50 AM »
Yeah,
    Sorry, I was mixing up my rules. It's been a while since I looked at ITEN. It's not special rules but rather it's that applying the Grit Penalty stat was never finished.  Look at the second column of weapons and it's like they just decided not to finish filling in the column.  There are alot of weapons that need one and had one previously but now don't.  It's not a finished document and it's almost kind of insulting that they put it up as "official" list when it's clearly not done.  I refuse to believe that the writers intended for the allocation of grit rolls to depend on alphabetical order.  A few examples to highlight this, Power weapons, Plasma Weapons and Melta weapons don't have a Grit Penalty, even though some of their variant weapons (even less powerful ones) that happen to be alphabetically A-K do. 

Also, they've had almost a year and a half to update the retinue lists, and haven't.

Not that this is the end of the world, but it kind of rubs me the wrong way. I really love the game and want to get more folks into it, but when a newbie has got to cross-refference books into a warband builder that isn't great and arm their figs with a weapons list that is unfinished it makes it more difficult. Hence, I always point folks to the second edition of the game. 

I hope that someday the 3.0 will be finished, but it's looking grim as the forum is pretty much dead.  I'm more hopeful that a sci-fi expansion will be released for In Her Magesty's name, as has been rumored.

It's bad enough to release an incomplete product. But if they'd put the effort into the game that they did into the website and warband builder, we'd probably have a complete 3.0.

Rant over.