Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:39:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686604
  • Total Topics: 118111
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Sharp Practise  (Read 2197 times)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
Sharp Practise
« on: August 19, 2008, 09:07:03 AM »
Anyone played it? Any good?
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Re: Sharp Practise
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 09:11:14 AM »
I picked up a copy several weeks ago. I have not yet played them, but have read through it several times and they look great. Although I have found them slightly confusing as the mechanics are new and not like many other rules sets.
I would be interested too to hear from anyone who has played them.
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 11:28:12 AM »
Well, I'm planning to do FRW with the new range from Eureka and the 'mob rules' for Gloire1/.45A (at some point in a - hopefully - not too far future), but rules especially for the period could be interesting, too  o_o

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 11:29:10 AM »
I've only read them, but the local group play and love them. They have a well supported Yahoo group (Too Fat lardies) with some mighty inspiring game pictures!

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 11:54:59 AM »
I've only read them, but the local group play and love them. They have a well supported Yahoo group (Too Fat lardies) with some mighty inspiring game pictures!

Yes that forum is very active and those games look superb. :)

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 12:02:30 PM »

Yes that forum is very active and those games look superb. :)

I know what you mean about confusing, I think it is the wealth of print and one of those games where you have to spend an evening almost play testing to leanr the nuanceof the rules. I plan on doing this soon with my Napoleonics

Offline the commissar

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 08:39:26 PM »
I have played these and they have rekindled my interest in Napoleonic Skirmish type games so much that I am building forces for some games in India in the 1790s.

The basic card driven system is the same as most Too Fat Lardies rules so, rather than IGOUGO, actions take place on the turn of the characters card (no unit cards are included) and it is possible that your character will not get a go in every turn. However all units can fire at the end of the move if they have not already.

It is certainly fair to say that the first play through will take time and you will want to keep the game smallish but once you understand the basics play will speed up (this is true of most TFL rule sets).

The games that I have played in have ranged from the fairly serious scenario to rip roaring swashbuckling types and I have always enjoyed them. In some of the light hearted games I have nearly choked laughing.

Let me also say here that the games I have played have been at Lard Island and I know the TFL lads quite well however I have no "financial" interest in the rules.

It is well worth joining the TFL yahoo group a read through the posts there will give yiou a good idea of what people think and the problems/queries that they have had.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2008, 11:21:16 AM »
OK, thanks, I think I'll be going to the yahoo-group, then. Might be worth it  ;)