Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:19:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691074
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 804
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Need some opinions  (Read 2798 times)

Offline wdlanghans

• Bookworm
    • Impudent Mortal Facebook
Need some opinions
« on: September 11, 2014, 07:30:22 PM »
Hey Everyone!

I'm working on designing some measuring templates. The idea is to make them generic enough for use with any game, and once I get the design worked out I'll make them out of acrylic.

So here's what I have so far.

The ones on the left are pretty standard, and the circle on the ones on the right can be used for a 45, 90, and 180 firing arc.

However the ones with the firing arc have a bit of an issue. Basically the arc kind of get's in the way and you can't place the template square on the table. It's a little better for the smaller circle one than the bigger one.

So here are the questions

1/ Does anyone want / need / will use the firing arc?

2/ Is it ok that the you can't get the firing arc templates all the way to the table?

3/ Any other thoughts?

Thanks!
Don't Worry I Have a Plan

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
Re: Need some opinions
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 09:32:25 AM »
1/ Does anyone want / need / will use the firing arc?

Not really no - better to paint two lines on the models' bases frankly. Clearer, and also less prone to fudging when it comes to checking.

2/ Is it ok that the you can't get the firing arc templates all the way to the table?

Again, not really, no. I can measure on an "-ish" basis by hovering a tape measure over a model. If I wanted to use the template it would be for both ease and accuracy. Therefore, getting the template to fit flat to the table is a must for accuracy.

3/ Any other thoughts?

If you are dead-set on having fire arcs for figures, you could just do half a base ring. that way, you can fit it to the front of a models' base when you move it, and it's slim enough to not get in the way too much. Worst case, you can still place it in a model's rear arc to keep it out of the way as it still measures a 180 degree facing anyway.

Steve63

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 11:32:58 AM »
I don't need or want any templates.
I think that they are just more unnecessary clutter for the table, they rarely work unless the table is completely flat devoid of any raised features like with competitive DBx, and contrary to their raison d'etre they cause more disagreements than they resolve.
Sorry but you did ask

Offline wdlanghans

• Bookworm
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 01:42:28 PM »

If you are dead-set on having fire arcs for figures, you could just do half a base ring. that way, you can fit it to the front of a models' base when you move it, and it's slim enough to not get in the way too much. Worst case, you can still place it in a model's rear arc to keep it out of the way as it still measures a 180 degree facing anyway.

I'm not dead set on anything that's why I asked for the opinions :D The point is to make something that people want and will use, however that's a good idea on how to pull off the firing arc, thanks!

I don't need or want any templates.
I think that they are just more unnecessary clutter for the table, they rarely work unless the table is completely flat devoid of any raised features like with competitive DBx, and contrary to their raison d'etre they cause more disagreements than they resolve.
Sorry but you did ask

No need to apologize, I actually agree with you and I personally don't use them which is also why I'm asking opinions since I don't have any personal experience with them. But people keep asking for them, and like the idea of have one that they can have personalized with their faction, gaming club, LGS, etc. which will be an option that I'll offer.

Thanks for the feedback!

Anyone else have any thoughts / ideas ?

Offline wdlanghans

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2014, 02:48:49 PM »
Based on feedback from a couple of different forums we've decided to not use the ones with the circles, so we've made some changes to incorporate the firing arc into the other designs, or we can leave them out.

To be clear, either firing arc design can be used on either template, and these will be on acrylic which is see through.

So it's more of a choice of which design, the cut through, or the just etched in you like best.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 02:51:34 PM by wdlanghans »

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2014, 02:55:14 PM »
But people keep asking for them, and like the idea of have one that they can have personalized with their faction, gaming club, LGS, etc. which will be an option that I'll offer.

[...]

Anyone else have any thoughts / ideas ?

People often ask for things they think are "cool" that rarely translate into sustainable sales.

That said, I think Steve63 raises a good point about many tables not being "flat"... Which got me thinking... Why not have two points at each edge of the template rather than a flush edge? Like callipers, it is then easier to measure the fixed distance between any two points.

Another thing: the 2" edge will struggle to measure two bases 2" apart as the splayed edge will prevent you from fitting the template between them tightly. This probably applies to some of the other edges too.

Steve63

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2014, 03:47:07 PM »
Some years ago I suffered a rush of blood to the head and opened a game shop, one of the game I sold was a new game called Flames of War, which uses an artillery template, which retailed at the time for £4.50.
Me still working in industry and seeing an opening had some cut and put these up for sale at £2, the only difference between mine and the official FoW templates was the official ones bore the legend "Flames of War"
Guess how many I sold, at the finish I couldn't give them away.
The games that require templates have there own official templates and the people who play these games want the official merchandise.  There are dozens of companies that have made funky templates and counters and other assorted paraphernalia, the only ones that have had any sort of success have jumped on the back of the latest game.
To be honest mate, I can't even tell what them templates are supposed to represent.  In my opinion (well you did ask) stop trying to retro fit templates into games that either have their own or don't need them and start to look for new games, I'm thinking kickstarters (god, I hate kickstarters) and try to work with the games designers before the games are produced. 

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2014, 07:13:17 PM »
Just thinking out loud here.  For firing arc templates I am with everyone else who would not use them.  Why not a firing arc stencil to locate said firing arcs on the base for painting.  You could cut it in MDF, it could have multiple base sizes in it for one game system and you could sell said MDF sheets to match popular game systems bases such as 40k and Warmachine.  Maybe not by name but by base types.  That would be a solution for what can be a fiddly job.  Hope you can build a better widget. 
Snitchy sends.
A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com

Offline wdlanghans

• Bookworm
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2014, 09:49:52 PM »
People often ask for things they think are "cool" that rarely translate into sustainable sales.

Very true. My company http://impudentmortal.com/ primarly focuse on terrain, and the only reason I'm even doing this is becasue I've gotten enough request from LGS, and some of the conventions that we attend. Basically they want these with their logo that they can give out for marketing / and tournament prizes and the such.

That said, I think Steve63 raises a good point about many tables not being "flat"... Which got me thinking... Why not have two points at each edge of the template rather than a flush edge? Like callipers, it is then easier to measure the fixed distance between any two points.

Another thing: the 2" edge will struggle to measure two bases 2" apart as the splayed edge will prevent you from fitting the template between them tightly. This probably applies to some of the other edges too.

Yup, and that's an inherent problem with these things and why I don't use them.

There are dozens of companies that have made funky templates and counters and other assorted paraphernalia, the only ones that have had any sort of success have jumped on the back of the latest game.

I agree 100% which is also why I don't typically do templates.

To be honest mate, I can't even tell what them templates are supposed to represent.  

And that's the other issue with this project. They aren't supposed to be for any specific game, since they will be giveaways. It would be much easier if they were for something specific.

For firing arc templates I am with everyone else who would not use them. 

Hey Snitchy! Always good to get your opinion sir!

Yeah none of the games I play except for Dystopian Wars even use firing arcs, but I don't play any of the GW games either so I'm not sure how many games still use them at all.

Thanks for all the input guys, it's most appreciated :D