Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 12:03:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690914
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 620
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Looking to find information about Edward Bruce invasion of Ireland  (Read 2144 times)

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
Looking to find information about Edward Bruce invasion of Ireland
« on: September 14, 2014, 08:19:22 PM »
As the topic states, I am looking for in about Edward Bruce's attempted conquest of Ireland.
The lords involved, relative troop strength. Type of troops. Heraldry, Books and web sites about it would help a lot.

The only info I have so far is from the Osprey Gallowglass book, and a wiki sight about Edward.

Also what miniatures lines in 28mm will work for that era. I have some Claymore casting Gallowglass, and I am sure Scottish foot and regular knights will serve for the lords and there retinues. But I am trying to figure out how best to represent the native Irish of the era.

Would dark age Irish like from Griping beast, crusader and Footsore min's range work?

I know skirmish warfare, and cattle raids seemed to be the order of the day. But what figures to use for the kern, the lords and the horse boys. Amy help is appreciated.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 08:21:37 PM by commissarmoody »
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
Re: Looking to find information about Edward Bruce invasion of Ireland
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 10:29:34 PM »
I´m just a curious about that period but you should read also osprey campaign Bannockburn for brief mentions and also for color plate see the book concord Warlord Armies (with a small desription).
Search google for the battle of Faughart in 1318.
That might help a bit.

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 12:23:41 AM »
It's an event I've been interested in for some time too, since reading a souvenir book from Carrickfergus castle, though I can't be much help about it: that and a couple of other local history books only really mention Edward Bruce in passing.

Amazon throws up a couple of titles that might be of use. I'll probably have a look at one or two of them myself. In the meantime, I think kern at the time might've been more like those that Corvus Belli sell for their HYW range (pity they're 15mm) - which seems to have been a look kept through to the 15th and 16th centuries, relatively unchanged. Dark age irish with bare legs rather than bare chests might be fine at a pinch.

But don't quote me. ;)

(Ebob had a nice gallowglass sculpt up on his forum, for his Rebellion range, with promises of a kern soon after, which would've been perfect. But that was years ago and AFAIK neither materialised in his webshop. ::) )

Offline rampantlion

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 12:53:07 AM »
You could also read "The Wars of the Bruces"  by Macnamee.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 09:04:25 AM »
Thanks for all the info. I will look into the books.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 10:46:59 PM »
Ok looking for some figs that will work for Noble Irish horse. So Mail shirts, Jacks, quilted Jerkins, Skull caps, Iron helmets or Basinets.  and Lances used over hand.

I am currently looking at Footsore miniatures and Gripping beast for my Kern. I was wondering if any one has any of the BG dark age Irish or Scot-Irish foot and how well they work with the Claymore castings figs.