Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:06:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686601
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Protect the Laager 1879  (Read 3612 times)

Offline nevermore

• Mastermind
    • http://www.victorian-steel.com/
Protect the Laager 1879
« on: September 16, 2014, 09:01:23 AM »
  Protect the Laager 1879

Game was 28mm with the British in four companies set as pickets, they also had a 4 companies of Boers, one player took control of the 8 stand brigade while another player took control of the Zulu Impi.

The left horn was the first to enter the battlefield, the British player at first thought everything was to enter from the top of the table and was completely shocked to see the Right horn enter the table from a differant entrance.

Zulus were to attack the Laager and take all the stock and head back to the capital, British objective was to stop the Zulus, river is fordable, rules are Victorian Steel.

Lots more photos on the main website in the gallery, pt 2 next week.

http://www.victorian-steel.com/

Map 1 Postions

screen capture windows 7

The Laager and stock

image ru

Zulu left horn

image hosting 10mb limit

screen grab

British and Boers form and let off a few shots on the left horn

image post

Map 2 postions, the British view the right horn

how to take a screen shot

images hosting

Company of British prepare for the Right horn attack.

image upload without registration

British stand alone

print screen windows xp

Map 3 the head loins enter the field

free uploader

image url

« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 09:03:31 AM by nevermore »
The Victorian Outpost

Its a new gaming place in Grimsby with new terrain and new scenery, lots of respect for all wargamers and is the best place to game in town.

Anybody who wishes to visit the venue to arrange a game then  just pm me and lets roll those dice.

http://www.victorian-steel.co

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Re: Protect the Laager 1879
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 11:19:45 AM »
Great looking game :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 11:22:12 AM »
That does look the part  8)

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 11:31:57 AM »
I love AZW stuff, but it's essential to have imaginative scenarios like this to keep it fresh and stop it devolving into 'Can British form square in time? Yes - they've won. No - the Zulus have won.'

Well done.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 05:12:46 PM »
I love AZW stuff, but it's essential to have imaginative scenarios like this to keep it fresh and stop it devolving into 'Can British form square in time? Yes - they've won. No - the Zulus have won.'

Well done.

To be honest, I think that pretty much all periods benefit from a decent scenario-based approach, as 'line 'em up and slaughter each other' can lose its fun factor pretty quickly.

But I do agree that with Colonials it is especially important. I am painting forces for the 2nd Afghan War/NW Frontier for Victorian Steel as I think it'll be a blast at my war-games club and the biggest challenge for me will be the scenarios...time to raid all my books on the subject and see what I can adapt, methinks...

Offline dhtandco

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 07:27:24 PM »
We do a few supply train from point x to point y games and last night we played an Indian Mutiny game stolen from the wild west! Loyal sepoys in the town defending (fort Laramie??) with Sir Henry Havelock playing the US cavalry trying to relieve them and the Indian forces attacking either to achieve victory by stopping them or overrunning the town before it was relieved. A dried up river bed dissecting the table meant that hidden movement and ambush came to the fore and it was very close, but a British victory. The Mutineer players have demanded a rematch in a few weeks it was that close.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2014, 03:13:45 PM »
I'd like to see a battle with the 'Imperials' as the aggressors and 'Natives' as defenders. Something like a cattle raid or a kraal burning might be fun (if you know what I mean).

Offline Alcide Nikopol

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2014, 06:19:52 PM »
Wonderful looking game.
A.Nik-

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2014, 09:23:34 PM »
We do a few supply train from point x to point y games and last night we played an Indian Mutiny game stolen from the wild west! Loyal sepoys in the town defending (fort Laramie??) with Sir Henry Havelock playing the US cavalry trying to relieve them and the Indian forces attacking either to achieve victory by stopping them or overrunning the town before it was relieved. A dried up river bed dissecting the table meant that hidden movement and ambush came to the fore and it was very close, but a British victory. The Mutineer players have demanded a rematch in a few weeks it was that close.

What sort of table size do you guys use? E.g. if I took a British force of 12 companies in 2 brigades of 8 and 4 against a mixed Pathan and Regular Afghan force along the lines of your recent Indian Mutiny AAR, what size table would I need to give a decent game (my bases are 4 x 3 inches)?

Offline dhtandco

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2014, 05:06:46 PM »
I would say 8ft by 5ft minimum if playing across the table and possibly 6ft by 4ft if playing along the length of it ,it depends on period if magazine rifles the range is 36" if musket 12" its all about the manoeuvre space out of firing range
that counts.

Offline Estorff

• Assistant
  • Eine große Schnurrbart & Pickelhaube sind alle
    • Cornflower Blue & Corduroy: Wargaming the German - Herero & Nama Wars of 1904-1908
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2014, 06:12:09 PM »
Congratulations on an engaging layout and what looks like a fun game!

With regard to alternatives to "Laager up and shoot", there are a number of engagements from the German-Herero War of 1904 where the Hereros were defending well fortified positions and the Germans had to go in (or climb up) with the bayonet.  Although most of the games in the new Jones/Alvarado Herero War Scenario and Rule Book (based on TSATF) that involve ambushes feature Hereros surprising Germans from concealed positions, there are historical examples where the situation was reversed.  One of these was a skirmish near a Boer farm in Southwest Africa called Uitkomst for which I've been developing a scenario designed for use with The Herero War Book.  I'll create a new post in a week or so with a link to the beta version if anyone wants to play test it themselves.

\"crushing the people like this was in equal measure cruel and insane.  One could have saved many of them and their herds, if one had spared them and given them refuge; they had been punished enough.  I suggested this to General von Trotha, but he wanted their complete destruction.\" - L. v.Estorff