Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:17:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Gang War -- a Pulp Alley AAR  (Read 5696 times)

Offline Earther

• Mastermind
  • Sat at my Mac, lusting after lead…
Re: Gang War -- a Pulp Alley AAR
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2014, 09:33:32 AM »
The Mandy stories are intended to be presented from the viewpoint and imagination of a little girl.

As a father two wonderful daughters (with over-active imaginations lol), that works for me!

Offline Jan

• Bookworm
  • English isn't my first language. Forgive me. ;)
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2014, 09:44:08 AM »
Hi,

great idea. Awesome Set. Very good presentation. *thumbs up*
Playing this scenario seems not to be that funny. "A" runs up a street. "B" shoots "A" down. Just rolling dice.

Greets,
Jan
X-Wing | Oak & Iron | Old West & Sci-Fi Skirmish (WiP)

former user

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2014, 10:29:22 AM »
interesting....

a few of the posters seem not to dig the scenario  (which is perfectly OK, I am only describing not judging, and it was my first reaction too)
this in turn reminds me of the discussion about wargames for girls.

I haven't read the scenario, but I have already played scenarios that were purely narrative (but badly conceived)
my observations:
- we are endebted to the Phipps family for opening up the range towards very narrative driven wargaming (of a high quality, given the success of Pulp alley)
- a range of scenario types that on the other side of the spectrum could be characterized with "lining up and shooting each other", with strategic and tactical challenges in the middle and shifting towards narrative in a combination.

note to myself: take it easy and give alternatives a try, explore dream scenarios and perspective changes  ;)
it can get anything other than boring (as I experienced years ago when trying out RPG in the realm of stuffed toys in a very special german system, very "Pratchett-style")

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2014, 10:45:09 AM »
Fantastic AAR.  I bought that set from Bob on the strength of seeing the League........
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2014, 10:47:38 AM »
Great stuff, Wolf Girl.
It certainly gave me a good chuckle.
Love it!
 :-* 8) :-*

Offline Wolf Girl

• Mastermind
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2014, 06:01:51 PM »
note to myself: take it easy and give alternatives a try, explore dream scenarios and perspective changes  ;)
it can get anything other than boring (as I experienced years ago when trying out RPG in the realm of stuffed toys in a very special german system, very "Pratchett-style")

Sounds like fun!  ;)

I think, when you play lots of scenarios it is fun to have different things to do. This scenario is very different from our others and is more combat focused. Lining up your toys and beating the heck out of each other can also be really enjoyable once in awhile.  lol lol

Obviously, there's more to this scenario once you read it. It's cool the way it works. It is very much a king-of-the-hill type scenario and very fun.

Mila Phipps, Pulp Girl
mila@pulpalley.com

former user

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2014, 06:14:53 PM »
it was called "Plüsch-Power und Plunder"  and the introductory scenario started with stuffed toys coming to life in a mall. The objective was to break out of the mall.
no english version I'm afraid
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pl%C3%BCsch,_Power_%26_Plunder
but otherwise it is pretty much the style of the Nome trilogy by Terry Pratchett, deriving it's irony from the absurdities of human culture the little people have to deal with - but this time the little people are stuffed teddies and the like. A bit like Toy Story but without the glamour

it is still sold, even as download I believe - it won a lot of prizes
here is actually a review in engish
http://rpggeek.com/thread/969773/how-be-plush-toy

but, in getting back to pulp alley, exploiting this concept would probably work better with some smaller scale miniatures that can be toys in 28mm.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 06:21:54 PM by bedwyr »

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2014, 06:53:53 PM »
The Nome trilogy... oh dear, that takes me back! Still have them on the shelf somwhere.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2014, 07:21:17 PM »
The city's looking good so far. Nice idea to use a park as a temporary move until you get more buildings going.

If you want to quickly increase the size of your town, you might be able to quickly cut some out of some paper lace.  ;) ;) ;)

Are those sidewalks the same tile you were using before? If so, how'd you get the irregular edges? And how'd you score the sheet to give you sidewalk blocks?

We use common grey vinyl tiles for the sidewalks --

I score a grid pattern in them with a sharp utility knife. Just 5 minimum pressure swipes does the trick.

Then I sand it to scuff the surface and get rid of the score ridges. This stuff is pretty soft and easy to work with.

The irregular edges just occur naturally, including when you cut through or break it apart.

Other than that, no paint/ink/stain/sealant has been applied. How it looks is how it looks.

Are the buildings from TVAG? They look great. PA GW may be the way to go for me with Gangsters.

One building is scratch built from powder (just add water), the others are resin cast by Old Glory I believe.

HAVE FUN

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2014, 07:56:50 PM »
Nice one, as usual. And excellent idea of using a girl's imagination as a scenario for Pulp Alley.
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline Katsuhiko JiNNai

• Mastermind
    • My BLOG
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2014, 05:19:16 PM »
Nice one, as usual. And excellent idea of using a girl's imagination as a scenario for Pulp Alley.

I agree  :D

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2014, 04:35:56 PM »

Wait... So, Mila's imaginary Pulp Alley character has imaginary enemies that are also imaginary Pulp Alley characters? I can't find that in the rules. Is that legal?

I don't know where this girl gets her crazy ideas. Must be from her mother's side, because the Phipps's have always been known as stoic salt-of-the-earth realists.  ;D

HAVE FUN

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2014, 10:45:39 AM »
Really great stuff, lovely miniatures and scenery.