Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:21:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Urban scenery  (Read 31532 times)

Offline Suber

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Urban scenery
« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2015, 06:35:03 PM »
In the meantime, I just have finished another kit. I've used this Helipad to build an Arbites Station:

I painted the Arbites shield, but used a decal for the fist. 'That will save me time; besides, it will look much better; blah blah blah'. The fact is that the decal totally flaked off so I finally had to paint it again. All for nothing!

The sign was quite easy (maybe too simple? :?)

It happened to be perfect for my Arbites Arvus!

Here you have it on the blog:

http://oldschoolworkshop.blogspot.com.es/2015/02/home-of-arbites.html

Haven't finished yet with these kits! More to come!

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2015, 07:40:14 PM »
Very Nice!  I wouldn't have thought of that use, but it looks great.  I would have capped up or barred the vents/supports at the bottom of the base though.

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2015, 10:28:41 AM »

I love this thread suber, the terrain has such a unique atmosphere and it all seems to be building to something fantastic and unique.

Keep it up!

Offline Suber

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2015, 01:30:24 PM »
Thank you! Still working on more stuff, hopefully I can show some of it anytime soon :)

Offline Suber

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2015, 08:47:17 AM »
After all these buildings I think it was definitely time for some places to live in! All those citizens need a home, after all! I think I have a thing for these real estate issues... :D

The kit is provided with just one floor, but it's modular, so I got another one. You can get as many as you want, but for the moment I'm OK with these:

But at this point I lost control :oops:. I really thought that, if I was to build an apartment building, I was going to need some furniture and stuff! Shamefully I lack the patience to wait for another purchase (though I admit there are some pretty cool items out there that I may use in the future). By now I have enough MDF bits to buils my own Ork fortress :D, so I thought I could use some of them ;).

These are going to be shower heads:

Some beds (maybe too small, but these are only to give the impression of a bed...)

Wardrobes and/or fold-away beds:

Generic stuff:

Just to end losing my mind, I'm sure you'll agree these are mere houses, but not cozy homes. What would make the difference? What do actual people have at their homes? Pics of your beloved ones! ;D

You can find it all here on the blog:

http://oldschoolworkshop.blogspot.com.es/2015/03/my-own-dollhouse-pt-1.html?m=0

Still working on this madness, let's see how this ends ;)

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2015, 09:47:22 AM »
Pretty cool, is each floor an individual apartment or are the rooms all separate tenants rooms? If it's separate apartments in each room. Might make the center room a common area, kitchen and laundry.  Maybe also have a TV that is stuck on the imperil public broadcasting service,  with only two other channels that cover sports and 24th religious services  lol.
For the individual room's,  books,  magazines, flowers,  individual computers, religious icons, posters,  sports equipment,  and items of a more private form's of entertainment.   :D
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2015, 09:52:01 AM »

The photos are brilliant Suber.  I want to see the photos that orks keep on their dresser.  Pictures of three orks side by side, smiling in front of a mushroom cloud or something.

You built shower heads, but no toilets?  ;)

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #52 on: March 05, 2015, 10:02:28 AM »
Very nice work.

Offline Jonas

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • OUT OF PRINT!
    • Deathworld Adventures
« Reply #53 on: March 05, 2015, 05:24:47 PM »
That is awesome. Interior is also one of my concerns about scenery. I always thought it was strange with empty buildings or missing bedrooms, bathrooms, kitchens and such stuff.

Offline Suber

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #54 on: March 06, 2015, 07:15:54 PM »
Thank you all! Right, my idea is using both central rooms as common areas, with a washing machine or whatever. I'm only trying to make this an interesting, but still playable place, so giving the illusion of homes will be enough. I'm facing serious difficulties regarding space and individual bathrooms; I'm implementing a controversial solution ::), but I hope it will fit in my purposes in the end. I'll be improving the household goods as I build more homes and get my own real estate emporium :D

Offline Jonas

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • OUT OF PRINT!
    • Deathworld Adventures
« Reply #55 on: March 06, 2015, 08:13:22 PM »
toilets and kitchens might be obsolete in the future. With food taken in pill form and thus no waste product ;) But I guess people still need showers unless they are nano coated.

Sleep can be replaced by pills too, probably.

So in the end steaks, toilets and sleeping is only for the rich.  lol

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #56 on: March 07, 2015, 03:00:58 AM »
showers are easy, just make them a few inch square in a corner with standing room only. And have the crapper right next to them. 

Offline Suber

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #57 on: March 07, 2015, 11:04:07 AM »
Yup, that's the way I'm going, I'm adding just a shower space; the hole will be used as a latrine (you may want to cover it with a grid when taking a shower... ::)) The kind of gritty solutions we already can see in the movies (I'm thinking of the fifth element apartments ;D), when space is an issue. Let's see how this turns out...

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #58 on: March 07, 2015, 01:40:40 PM »
Multi Pass! I was totally thinking of fifth element also.

Offline Suber

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #59 on: March 12, 2015, 10:57:34 AM »
OK, dollhouse finished! Here you can see what I was talking about regarding the shower/latrines. Besides, by using more MDF bits I made some TVs and shelves:

As Commissarmoody pointed out, central rooms will be common areas. First floor will have a couple of microwave ovens (or whatever they use in 40K):

I've placed a washing machine on the second floor:

OK, enough of the inside! Let's get some dirt on the outside! Some posters and signs on one side...

And some grafitti on the other:

You can spot a classic quis custodiet ipsos custodes?, not much explanation needed. The Lux Mundi was a funny idea that came to mind as I was painting the very letters. They are considered a subversive heretic cult accountable for several recent riots. The word is that they even have attracted attention from a misterious Outworlder who has recently come with a bunch of lookalike thugs... ;)
Bottom left you can see... a Golden Throne ;D and well, several other stuff all over the wall. Some experiments for future grafitti ;)

This is how the building looks:

You can find all the specifics here :):

http://oldschoolworkshop.blogspot.com.es/2015/03/my-own-dollhouse-pt-2.html?m=0

Truly enjoyable, but if I've ever want to see this board finished, I must begin to build regular buildings with no inside performance, I cannot afford a dollhouses city! :?