Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 01:50:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689752
  • Total Topics: 118293
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Valhalla AAR - A walk along the strand  (Read 1427 times)

Offline Skrapwelder

• Mastermind
  • Pluviophile
    • What Ho, Cythereans!
Valhalla AAR - A walk along the strand
« on: September 20, 2014, 08:23:41 PM »
Last night Mr Black Cavalier and I played our second game using the Valhalla rules from Eat Street Games. I'm finding the rules and their support structure unique and enjoyable.

We each made our own warbands with the sole intent of delving more into the rules and getting a good grasp of how they work. B.C. made four "Benches", as the units are called, each one led by a Warlord and comprised of Militia and Trained grade troops as well as two Berserks. I made up three benches with two Warlords, one Berserk and with Seasoned quality troops making up the remainder. The balance worked out well to represent Raiders attacking a settlement so that's the scenario we set out.

Photos from the game:

Somewhere on the coast of Sweden a Jutish boat has been pulled up on to the sand. The leader of the raiders picks out a few men to stay and watch the boat and walks up the beach with his hardened crew in search of plunder.

The boat was spotted by some fisherman as it pulled ashore and the alarm quickly reached the Jarl who held the locality for the King. The Jarl was entertaining several of his neighbors, all men of renown themselves and they all took up arms to meet the raiders.

The Jutes moved up and formed a shieldwall, anchored on one end at the base of the escarpment. The Swedes quickly followed suit.

The Swede's Berserkers were quick to leap into the fray, hurling themselves against the Jutish shieldwall

The Swedish Jarls get their men into lines while sending a small group of archers out to flank.

On the right the Jutish Jarl made quick work of one Berserk. On the left three of his Hirdmen were having a tougher time of it. In the end they sent him to Odin, but not without each taking dire wounding.

The shiedwalls came together with a clash of thunder. The Jutes made quick work of the Swedish wall killing most and sending the others running.

The Jutish left had done less well. Two of the Swedish Jarls and their followers killed several of the raiders, including the single berserk.

The Jutish archer, a man well know for his skill at making arrow boutonnieres had felled a few Swedes and then had the sense to get closer to his own, lest he be forced to show off his swordplay.

After sending two of the Swedish Jarls to their graves, and most of their men off looking for shovels, the Jutes reformed their line.

With some confidence the Jutish Chief now called out:"Now that we've dispensed with the introductions we can get along to the bargaining."

I enjoy the way the rules play out. There is a nice mechanic that handles the deterioration of ability as you take damage. I think it works well and is easy to keep track of. I would encourage anyone playing this period to take a look at the rules.

Thanks for looking,

Mike

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
Re: Valhalla AAR - A walk along the strand
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 10:39:18 AM »
Thanks for the AAR, rules overview and showing off your lovely figures.
Little Odo's Grand Days Out
http://littleodo.blogspot.co.uk/