Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 07:17:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691087
  • Total Topics: 118371
  • Online Today: 859
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Wasteland 2 anyone?  (Read 4045 times)

Offline Dentatus

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Stalker7.com
Wasteland 2 anyone?
« on: September 27, 2014, 02:18:10 PM »
Who's playing? Not a frenetic game. Pace, graphics, storyline remind me of the old 3rd person Fallouts. My gaming buddies have fallen off the map, so this is my latest hobby -related time soak.

https://wasteland.inxile-entertainment.com/

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Wasteland 2 anyone?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2014, 02:36:16 PM »
I plan to buy it, but only once I'll finish Shadowrun returns and its addon Dragonfall ;)

I really appreciate the fact these games are released on Linux. I'm using linux exclusively since 2006, and thanks to Steam native version and Ubuntu, linux become a real gaming plateform, months after months ! 

« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 02:37:59 PM by sundayhero »

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2014, 07:55:03 PM »
I bought it and it seemed decent enough from what little I played (my computer's having issues at the moment, so I can't play the game any more). The amount of customisation was nice, but I can say I was a little peeved that female characters have a choice of three masks, whilst men have none whatsoever for some reason. That and you can't quite emulate the default portraits entirely (which is a limitation of how many models the devs wanted to make, but it is a nuisance).

I'll admit that I did wind up save scumming a bit after I found out how annoying the random rolls could be. *First time attempting to disarm a trap: trap explodes taking off half the health of the party. *Second time: trap is disarmed. Contents of chest are crap. *Rinse and repeat until you find some loot which you can actually use (ie I kept finding unarmed weapons repeatedly, which given I have no use for them was a bit annoying. After a few tries I found an RPG. ...Great. ...Then I kept at it till I found a rifle I could actually use). I dislike save scumming, but that early in the game I considered that with how little decent loot I was finding I needed a wee bit of an edge. Compared to how much gear you can find in the Fallout games, I feel a bit underwelmed by what Wasteland 2 was throwing out. Not so much that I wasn't finding tons of guns and ammo, nah, I'm meaning that I couldn't open every other filing cabinet and find a stack of damp paper and a stapler. =P

So from what I played it was a good enough game. I've heard you can run through it in 20 hours without playing many sidequests. Again making reference to the Fallout games, I find that I could put in hundreds of hours on a single character. With Wasteland 2 I don't know if there'll be enough content there to match that (similar to Shadowrun Returns, where I think I managed a dozen hours on my initial character, whilst playing all the quests). Sure you have forking paths, but I'm hoping that there's enough variety and customisation in the later game to keep things interesting. Uh, but actually finding any of that out's going to have to wait a bit till I buy a now computer. ...Which given that it took three years for me to pick up the crappy laptop I'm on now, may take a while (so long that Fallout 4'll be out and Wasteland 2 may slip off my radar). =P

Offline TheMightyFlip

• Mastermind
  • Smoggie!!
    • Flips Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2014, 10:32:09 PM »
The game is buggy as hell, many missions and areas are bugged meaning you have to bypass them entirely or get locked into only one solution. Another problem is in the later game you get calls for help and if you dont respond in time, or entire the area then leave, its classed as a mission fail, giving you bad results, the problem is you tend to go to one area, then retreat back to a safe zone for healing and ammo, only to find when you get back everyone is dead.

Another problem is the huge amount of AP the enemy gets, they can charge across the map in one turn, and still have enough points to launch into an attack, while your party will be lucky if it can move and shoot in the same turn.

The skills and % of everything, skillchecks, weapon jamming, are seriously bugged, and the combat gets really old really fast, with little option for tactics, as the enemy just charge and mob into you, preventing you from using the cover and resulting in lots of friendly fire incidents.

Online beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2014, 10:36:11 PM »
I like it so far but as flip said things like the giant flies charging into you in one turn and then attacking kind of sucks. Also sometimes ammo is hard to come by so you're probably best just getting all melee characters rather than splitting between melee and guns. I imagine that tactic won't work later on with gun heavy opponents. At the moment most of my combatants are melee. Sniper rifles are fun though.

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2014, 01:12:29 AM »
Oh yeah, the bugs. Even after two installs I still was missing textures for icons. Voiced dialogue would run on if you skipped it, leading to sections of conversation overlapping with one another. Given that the game went through a lengthy beta testing period those were a bit annoying to discover (though I don't know if they were down to my own computer, or specific to Linux). Still, given time, and a bit of modding, the game probably will shape up nicely.

Hmn, Fallout: Tactics has mods? I remember looking at the Moddb page and thinking it was pretty sparse (not that Moddb's the best indication of what a game's community's like). I've seen a Russian mod which adds in new vehicles, a few balancing mods, and I think one which revolved around the Enclave, but not much beyond that. Even if there was a complete overhaul mod which added in many more RPG aspects (rather than the RTS with token side quests that the base game is) I doubt I could stick with them unless there was also a mod which fixed the combat. The real time combat must have been fine for me the first time I completed the game yonks ago, but having gone back to it a few months ago it was annoying as hell. The turn based system, rushed as it was, didn't seem to work at all, so I'd need to see one of those fixed first. Though the graphical improvements over the original games would make an interesting RPG, but given that the originals don't need much work to expand on, I'd probably stick with them as far as overhauls go (ah, barring all the bugs, and that the newer 3D games are so much easier to jump into). Good isometric post apocalyptic RPGs (or rather isometric or Post Apocalyptic RPGs in general) aren't as common as they were, so I'd be interested in any mods which fleshed out the RPG aspects of Tactics a bit. :)

Offline TheMightyFlip

• Mastermind
  • Smoggie!!
    • Flips Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2014, 01:32:51 AM »
If |I had a physical copy of this game, I would have snapped the disc...finally after 3 days of playing tracked down enough bags of cat litter (dont ask) for the story to actually continue, told to go rescue some farmer, get there, its a trap, 20 cyborgs bum rush me and wipe my party out in 3 turns, but because the game now autosaves at the start of an area rather than the world map like most games, I'm now automatically in this fight.... so a weeks worth of gaming ruined....so..yeah...save all the time...

Online beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2014, 09:10:59 AM »
Well I just finished it and while the updates seem to have fixed a few bugs it's still very buggy. Nice storyline but combat is rather easy especially when your assault gunner can fire a burst of 3 shots with all hitting the enemy's head with 100% chance of it happeningat about 40m.  lol

Offline carlos13th

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2014, 09:46:53 AM »
I am enjoying this a lot so far. A kickstarter that I have no regrets in backing.

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2014, 12:27:55 PM »
KS Backer too, but haven't played it yet. I will wait until more patches are released. The AI AP bug has been corrected AFAIK.

Online beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2014, 06:31:58 AM »
I've not had any more issues with the AI action points which is good. This still feels kind of beta at the moment

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2014, 05:53:20 PM »
What kind of hardware requirements are REALLY needed for this game ?

I ask because I recently bought another game, because my PC was a way better than the minimal requirements, and finally my old machine seems to still be too slow = money wasted in a game I cannot play (until I buy a new pc...  ::)).

thanks

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2014, 06:00:02 PM »
What kind of hardware requirements are REALLY needed for this game ?

I ask because I recently bought another game, because my PC was a way better than the minimal requirements, and finally my old machine seems to still be too slow = money wasted in a game I cannot play (until I buy a new pc...  ::)).

thanks

http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri for (almost) all your minimum requirements checks
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Photobucket: http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd388/zizi666/
BGG: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/zizi666