Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:03:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: I could use some identification help, if you please!  (Read 3215 times)

Offline chirine ba kal

• Bookworm
    • chirine's workbench
I could use some identification help, if you please!
« on: September 27, 2014, 03:46:04 PM »
This is little off-beat, maybe, but I thought I'd ask all of you folks for help in identifying this wonderful bit of game scenery:

There are more photos of this pyramid on my blog, at:

http://chirinesworkbench.blogspot.com/2013/12/the-great-pyramid-of-philhotep-mighty.html

It's about 14" inches on a side, and breaks down into four levels. It's cast in urethane foam, and is very nicely shaded with light brown paint. I think it's a very cool piece, but I can't seem to find anything on the Internet about who made it or when; I got it as a gift, and the giver says he found it at the local FLGS as part of a 'job lot' of second-hand game stuff.

Any ideas? Thanks!!!

- chirine

Offline area23

• Mastermind
    • area23
Re: I could use some identification help, if you please!
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2014, 09:25:14 PM »
possibly from Monolith games?
If you don't believe in lead, you're already dead.
+++AREA23 BLOG+++

Offline WillieB

• Mastermind
  • Gotcha!
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2014, 11:27:43 PM »
Almost certainly Monolith Design.
Als no longer available and their old site is infected with malicious cookies.

Here are some of the other buildings ( on a safe site)

http://pousseplomb.blogspot.be/2010/05/monolith-designs.html

or here on Frothers

http://www.frothersunite.com/files/wk/sc/tb/tbscenery/tbscenery.html

Panic, Chaos and Disorder. My job here is done

Offline chirine ba kal

• Bookworm
    • chirine's workbench
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2014, 11:49:52 PM »
Thank you both for your replies!

I had looked at the Monolith Designs website, but the 'Large Pyramid Tomb' seems to be too small to be this particular model, based on the size of the doorway in the photos on the websites. I also had thought, based on the few models of theirs that I've seen, that they also generally work in resin for their casting. I'm really curious about this thing, first because it's so big (14" x 14" square) and it's cast so nicely in urethane foam. I don't know of all that many manufacturers working in this expanding foam - Stonehouse Miniatures is really the only one I can think of! - and this would have had to have been a fairly complex and expensive casting, with five separate molds having to be used.

Are there any photos from the old Monolith line? It would certainly make sense for them to have made this, as it would fit in their product line...

Based on the spray-painted / airbrushed finish, I'm wondering if this a product of a company that I bought some cast foam galleys and a merchant ship from back in 1987; I was at Origins, in Baltimore, and got the galleys because they were both very nice and very light - and, from what I remember, very inexpensive for what one got. They have the same style of finish as this pyramid, and I wonder if it is a later product of the same company.

And, of course, I can't for the life of me remember the name of the company, either. I think I bought the ships at The Armory trade show stand, which may or may not be of any help. I also got several of the plaster castings set from Otherworld at the same time, and I think from the same stand. Maybe Armory was representing the smaller companies at the convention?

Thanks again for your help!!!

Offline rumacara

• Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2014, 03:31:27 PM »
Maybe Zitherdes made it?
They also made a lot of foam scenario and some of it quite big.

Offline chirine ba kal

• Bookworm
    • chirine's workbench
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2014, 01:38:01 PM »
Oooo! Hadn't thought of them - thanks!

I had a look on their website, and they don't seem to have made this pyramid. Sigh.

I did have a thought - maybe Hudson and Allen? I took a look at some of the foam buildings I have from them, and the finish - at least on the Native American long house set - seems to be be the same. An old item, maybe, and no longer in their catalogs?

And thank you, everyone!

- chirine

Offline AndrewBeasley

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2014, 06:11:17 PM »
The look and style of the blocks remind me of http://www.dreamweavedworlds.com/gallery/pyramid_terrains

Nothing size wise that matches but it may be worth an email to see if the other bits would fit in with the big boy...

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2014, 02:14:31 AM »

At first the look, color and style remind me of Hudson and Allen stuff... but I don't see any Egyptian stuff in their catalog

http://www.wargamescenics.com/products.html
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline cdm

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2014, 12:29:17 PM »
Wargame Scenics don't have the castle keep set, it's *possible* there may be other H&A items now lost to history. I don't have any details of their early items anymore :(

While stylistically it's similar, my gut reaction is that it's not a H&A piece.