Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 09:59:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: I am not Groot: Pulp Alley BatRep 23/10/14  (Read 9882 times)

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
Re: I am not Groot: Dryanids added 13/10/14
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2014, 10:03:58 AM »
Very nice weapons use there sir. Very impressed.
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2014, 12:10:58 PM »
Thanks for the kind words folks.  These took far longer than I had hoped, so its nice to see that it was on some level worth it.  These arboreal androgynes did work out better than the usual output for some reason: I am quite pleased with them :)

the missile launcher or whatever it is works especially well.

Thanks.  Its a Tyranid "Devourer".  I have long thought that it looked a bit like a seed pod or acorn, so I spliced it in here.

Great colours!! Basing is perfect for these minis.  :)

I try to avoid very busy basing, but here it seemed appropriate.  Similarly, I dont necessarily think that painting miniatures in camouflaged colours that blend them into the tabletop terrain is a good idea, but I am deliberately trying to integrate the models in this project with the bugs and foliage on the bases.  So far it works, but I am concerned that it might become too visually messy down the road.  We shall see.

Extra points for referencing Sectaurs.  I still have all the comics!

Sectaurs was a bit ahead of its time I think.  The ad campaign with the ongoing cliffhanger storyline showing the toys being played with in various settings in a kids garden had huge appeal to me back then, even though I was getting too old for toys around then.

Too old for toys, heh ;)

Is it just me, or in the last year or two have you been developing a higher contrast style (I mean more contrast in the highlighting/shading)?

I have been leaning that way for a few years now Hawkeye, but I have become more extreme with highlighting in the last eighteen months or so.  That approach doesnt appeal to everyone, but it does make the detail visible from several feet away when gaming, which is the point I suppose.

I also have somewhat lurid tastes :)

Very nice weapons use there sir. Very impressed.

Thanks.  It turned out to be a very simple kitbash really.  Removing the ball joints on the shoulders of the tyranid parts was pretty much all it took.  Its so straightforward that on some level I am surprised that I havent seen it before in fact.

I plan a similar treatment of the new plastic Citadel Treeman and some larger Tyranid parts next.  That might end up being a little more involved I suppose, but not much.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 12:58:58 PM by cheetor »

Offline 3 fingers

• Mastermind
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2014, 12:34:56 PM »
Brilliant work, but
Are you sure their ladies I. Would be to scared to do the crocodile Dundee way of checking  lol

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2014, 12:35:30 PM »
That is really outstanding, I like the concept behind it and your paintings are superb!

Offline luidinuovo

• Scientist
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2014, 07:56:25 AM »
 :o :o :o like the Dryad Tyranid conversion,its great. Sorry but must use them for my Inq28 Project.
saluti

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2014, 02:06:50 PM »
That is really outstanding, I like the concept behind it and your paintings are superb!

Thanks Michi.  Its a funny sort of project, pretty niche, but its working out well so far.

:o :o :o like the Dryad Tyranid conversion,its great. Sorry but must use them for my Inq28 Project.
saluti

Thanks.  Much of my other 28mm Inquisitor stuff is in this thread.

Brilliant work, but
Are you sure their ladies I. Would be to scared to do the crocodile Dundee way of checking  lol

Erring in the side of caution, I imagine that they are primarily hermaphroditic.  Im not going to prejudice my decisions regarding my toy alien soldiers based on their perceived sex/gender ;) lol

I got a couple of games in with these models last weekend and took some pictures of them being shot/exploded/chased by Ambulls in my jungle terrain.  I put up a batrep here for anyone interested.

Offline warburton

• Mastermind
    • Classic40K painting blog
Re: I am not Groot: Pulp Alley BatRep 23/10/14
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2014, 09:16:20 PM »
Very cool.

Offline Juice

• Lurker
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2014, 04:09:31 AM »
Awesome terrain and miniatures. Pulp Alley is definitely my choice for skirmish level games. It's cool that other players are using it for sci-fi.

Offline 3 fingers

• Mastermind
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2014, 02:13:47 PM »
How you going with this,I was googling exodites and remembered about your project.

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2015, 12:37:14 AM »
Missed this when it was first posted, glad it got revived!

I have that big Reaper Bones treedude on my painting bench to paint up as a Blood Bowl star player treeman, and looking at your paint job has inspired me to A) actually get some paint on the poor thing and B) consider much more colourful paint than I had before this, and a lot more flocking/tufts/static grass/etc.

Very nicely done, the whole set so far looks great together.

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2015, 12:44:00 PM »
I have that big Reaper Bones treedude on my painting bench to paint up as a Blood Bowl star player treeman, and looking at your paint job has inspired me to A) actually get some paint on the poor thing and B) consider much more colourful paint than I had before this, and a lot more flocking/tufts/static grass/etc.

The idea with the treepeople part of the project is to tie them in with my rather lurid jungle terrain a little bit.  I want to evoke a sixties Star Trek, Forbidden Planet sort of feel, so bright technicolour elements are important I think. 

Also as there is a big risk of the whole thing sliding into Wind in the Willows or fantasy territory, I am trying to include as many sci-fi nods as I can, like the ear mics for example. The bright colours are part of that too.