Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 11:57:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: A few questions about armypainter quickshade dip  (Read 1255 times)

Offline MM

• Bookworm
A few questions about armypainter quickshade dip
« on: January 25, 2016, 07:46:56 PM »
Hello everybody,

I a massive breakaway from long established practice I want tot try the dipping method with armypainter quickshade (I bought the strong tone variant). Reason is I don't paint a lot anymore and my usual method takes quite long per miniature. Though nothing special I have a "clean" painting style with extensive blacklining, see for example:

The problem is I spend a lot of time correcting small mistakes and fixing up my blacklining. So I'd like to try a faster method, specifically for a large army of late 16th / early 17th century Dutch Revolt troops (with TAG TYW miniatures, very nice!).

I hope the process will be a lot quicker and hopefully the result somewhat more "gritty" and realistic. I browsed the forum and watched some videos on youtube so devised the following method...your comments and advice are welcome!

- paint basic flat colours on the miniature
> what is the effect of applying some crude highlighting at this stage? Will the dip make the transitions smooth while still visible?
> is a little bit of blacklining on the most important borders betweens colours (say between trousers and shirts) advisable?

- use a bit of turpentine on the miniature to aid flow, hold it upside down and let loose with an old big brush with the quickshade dip (quite thickly)
- turn the miniature right side up and after a very short while remove excess pools of the dip with kitchen paper

- wait at least a day and use a matte varnish

Another question: is the dark tone better for cuirassiers and the blackened armour of the day?

And last but not least: can I remove the dip with acetone or nailpolish remover?

Offline Digitarii

• Scientist
  • I don't suffer from insanity. I ENJOY it!
Re: A few questions about armypainter quickshade dip
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 08:57:11 PM »
Armypainter Strong tone is a very dark black/brown and works very well for what you are describing. I've used it on a huge batch of skeleton warriors that were spray coated with AP bone color. While it did darken everything, especially the metals, the effect was perfect for my project. I dip it straight, no thinning needed. I have not attempted to strip any miniature I have dipped in the AP stuff, so I can't say whether or not it can be removed.
"My claim is based on rational thought and the fact that I've got more than enough charges in my Tesla Cannon to leave nothing but your twitching, smoldering digits!" - Nelson, Full Frontal Nerdity

Gold foil, diamond-etched, creme filled, limited-edition, collector's item number one anger issues