Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 04:37:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Necron bodies sizes?  (Read 1228 times)

Offline Ajsalium

• Mad Scientist
    • Role 'n' Roll
Necron bodies sizes?
« on: September 29, 2014, 10:28:19 PM »
Hi, I need some help from the LAF collective mind.

I want to do some conversions (for my evergoing cylon project). I'll do some older style cylons (more blocky), but then some newer ones.
For the legs and arms, I'll use those from the protolene khanate battlesuits made by Critical Mass Games (link to example).
The newer ones will get a slightly converted necron head. I had thought about using the necron warrior torso too... but it's small. Not by much, but it still kind of ruins the look of the whole piece.
But I think not all necrons are the same size as warriors? There are too many too similar troops in that codex, and I'm lost. Actually 2 or 3 mm bigger that a warrior torso is all that I need. Would the inmortal bodies fit that, or perhaps the destroyer ones (those definitely look bigger)?

If you can shed any light, and perhaps post a comparison pic or two, I'd appreciate it.
Blog updated Jan 21st
ROLE 'N' ROLL

Tell the truth, do what's right, and face the consequences. -Me.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
Re: Necron bodies sizes?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 08:35:41 AM »
The Immortals are significantly larger than the Warriors, but as I do not know the size of the CMG models, I can't comment on whether the torsos and arms would work well together...

And if I recall correctly, the Destroyers are just Immortals with their legs replaced by a skimmer, so there should be little difference there.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 08:37:24 AM by Daeothar »
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Inso

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Often confused or misunderstood...
    • Inso's World
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 01:06:54 PM »
The Immortals are slightly bigger than the standard warriors. The Destroyer torso is significantly bigger.

This pic shows a standard warrior next to a Destroyer torso (on some beefed up legs):

NOTE - The torsos are all green just to cover up the ribs nicely and don't affect the width of the torso).

These guys have torsos that fit in between the Warrior and the Destroyer:

You would probably JUST get away with the CMG arms on the Immortals (above) but I would probably go for Destroyer torsos to be sure... however, if you trimmed the shoulder area on the Immortal torsos, you may find the arms fit OK.

I assume we are talking about these CMG walkers:

Offline Ajsalium

• Mad Scientist
    • Role 'n' Roll
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 09:47:56 PM »
Thanks for the info!

And yes, it's the "dogbots" I'm using. I discovered them thanks to you, Inso, and have been on my top spot for not-cylon minis since then. Predatorpt's suggestion of using robogear helmets as cylon heads was spot on, too.
And now, a mere three years later after buying some, I have finally taken the finger out of my arse and have glued and primed a prototype.

That said... There's a change of plans regarding the use of necron torsos. ::)

I'm going to make two style of cylons. The older models (5-series), and newer ones (6-series).
For the 5-series I'll use the CMG battlesuits, because they look chunky and functional, with no regard to aesthetics (as the original slave robots would have been designed).
It's for the newer 6-series that I'm going to try to achieve a sleeker design (as would be when robots start to design themselves). For the legs, I think the ones from the Tau XV-25 stealth suits will look like a nice evolution: they are completely armoured, but share the same three segments anatomy. Then, necron torsos (likely destroyer ones, with the "rib" gaps filled and back "spines" filed), and converted heads. Not sure yet what I can use for the arms...