Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 07:47:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689775
  • Total Topics: 118294
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: French regulars for FIW?  (Read 4003 times)

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
French regulars for FIW?
« on: August 18, 2008, 03:09:49 PM »
OK my B day pressie is the french marines form Conquest with the frontiersmen and the delawares but I cant see anyone who would make compatible Frnech regulars for this period other than the chunkier Front Rank and dodgy (in my eyes only) Old glory figures.

Infact when I did my Ferench army for AWI only these two produced french for the period.

Any ideas ladies and gents.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Re: French regulars for FIW?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 03:20:02 PM »
Is Conquest not going to do the regulars?
The only other one you haven't mentioned is Redoubt, but they are alot larger than Conquest.
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 03:26:59 PM »
Is Conquest not going to do the regulars?
The only other one you haven't mentioned is Redoubt, but they are alot larger than Conquest.

Yeah they are too big. I did have the redoubt Indians where were very nice but a bit too biG and their packs seemed to go down hill after a while, not sure if they changed sculptor.

You see my mate has Brits and the Redoubt pallisade fort which he hasnt touched for an age because there is no opposition and these figures are beauties so I bit the bullet :D

Regulars?from conquest? any greens or previews? they sound great if they did them

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 03:34:55 PM »
My understanding is Eric - Conquest is going to do the whole FIW including regulars for both the Brits and the French.I have not seen any photos though.

I could of course be completely wrong as is often the case :D

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 03:38:54 PM »
My understanding is Eric - Conquest is going to do the whole FIW including regulars for both the Brits and the French.I have not seen any photos though.

Ah ha, I knew I read it somewhere: from Eric himself, he posts here under the alias Conquest:

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=6778.0

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 03:44:30 PM »

Ah ha, I knew I read it somewhere: from Eric himself, he posts here under the alias Conquest:

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=6778.0

Many thanks Malamute hadnt seen that post..I think.

They are lovely figures also looking forward to his mounted Comanche being re-released to add to my horde of unpainted foundry plains indians ;D

I was thinking I could use some of my Highwaymen civilians to mix in so they can have a dual purpose and even an indian raid on the town etc..

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 03:50:14 PM »
I know what you mean, its a great period with so much potential. :)
 I bought all the Redoubt figures when they were first released and as you say the sculptor changed halfway through and the later figures are not as nice.
Good plan to use the highwaymen figures for civilians, they cross over very well.

What rules are you going to use?

I hear "This very ground" is good set for large skirmishes.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 03:54:12 PM »
I know what you mean, its a great period with so much potential. :)
 I bought all the Redoubt figures when they were first released and as you say the sculptor changed halfway through and the later figures are not as nice.
Good plan to use the highwaymen figures for civilians, they cross over very well.

What rules are you going to use?

I hear "This very ground" is good set for large skirmishes.

Just been looking at the rules and humming and Harring. I already have Berother against brother which is OK. I also have Sharpe Practice which I was thinking of also or perhaps Legends of the old west as I am familiar with them.

I also have the Chris peers rules good day to die, not sure about these or the supplements as they are a bit of a headache to work through and I usually lose interst in the games having to flick through the pages.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2008, 04:42:47 PM »
Great idea about using Sharp Practise. I think with a bit of tinkering it would be perfect for skirmishes invloving the likes of Hawkeye/Magua etc.

Have a look at This Very Ground. its been praised elewhere. I was going to [ickup a set, but am liking your Sharp Practise idea very much. I must confess I have not played it yet, but reading the rules has confused me somewhat :?

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2008, 04:46:58 PM »
I have Sharp practice and TVG and both are excellent choices. As nmentioned, Conquest will do French regulars soonish. Crusader are also working on French infantry, but they will be larger and dressed for Europe. I'm not sure how many field modifications the French made to their uniforms in North America, but I am sure the Conquest figures will take them into account!

Offline Darkoath

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2008, 04:07:15 PM »
Lowtardog if you love the Conquest miniatures...  may I suggest trying Eureka's
Provincial's and Highlanders from the 300 series.  They are great sculp's and fit
very well with Eric's figure range.  Though they would be for your friend's forces
since he is doing the English.

I wonder if we have enough interest here at LAF to have a seperate forum for King Philip's War,
FIW, and AWI?  That would be cool.  Right now everything is scattered in other forums.

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2008, 04:20:53 PM »
Lowtardog if you love the Conquest miniatures...  may I suggest trying Eureka's
Provincial's and Highlanders from the 300 series.  They are great sculp's and fit
very well with Eric's figure range.  Though they would be for your friend's forces
since he is doing the English.

I second that emotion. I have 24 highlanders and 48 provincials and they match up perfectly. The provincials also work for the regular indepentdent companies that were around in the first months of the war (some were with Washington at Fort Necessity) If you are not a stickler for fashion some of Eureka's ragged rebs and Marbleheaders could probably work their way into frontier militia and ranger units also.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2008, 03:56:41 AM »
If you can wait Eureka have some French regulars for both WAS and SYW coming up. The Dutch are now complete, I've just seen them. Alan Marsh gets better and better. As the French will match the previous FIW provincials, they will also match the Conquest Indians. The other options would be RSM 25 or the Minden Miniatures range whicg I see has reopoened for new orders.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo