Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:10:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Front Rank War of Spanish Succession  (Read 4774 times)

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
Front Rank War of Spanish Succession
« on: August 23, 2008, 01:51:53 AM »
Does anyone know how these figures compare to Foundry's pirates?

http://www.frontrank.com/3_5_lev3_Spanish_Succession.asp

They are really nice figures - don't know how I missed them - they would make great Royal Navy marines.

Thanks
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 02:58:02 AM by fsultana »
“A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
Re: Front Rank War of Spanish Succession
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 02:54:29 AM »
BS11 through BS19 (the ones with the low cloth caps) would make good British marines around the turn of the century.

However, these Front Rank WSS figures are tall and bulky relative to Foundry pirate figures.  They look like very big stocky men next to most other 28mm.  I have quite a few FR WSS cavalry, and I used to have four 12 figure battalions of the infantry, including one of the grenadier/fusilier/marines in the low cloth cap.

I would suggest buying a couple of the civilian men and an officer or two.  These would be OK as big character figures regardless of whether you decide to buy the marines.  If you like the size comparison you could then buy some of the marines.
Sailors have more fun!

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 08:39:58 AM »
I use Front Rank uniformed types as redcoats alongside my Foundry pirates. They are a little chunkier but scale in pretty well IMHO.

Offline theoldschool

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2008, 10:10:49 AM »
I have used Front Rank as marines along with the Foundry pirates and they work fine together. Here are some photographs of them together from a previous post http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=5028.0

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2008, 10:46:12 AM »
Wow  :-* - thats is the very look I am hoping to achieve in my pirate game - figure and terrain wise - thanks for the link. It is absolutely beautiful - don't know how I missed your post (or those figures earlier)!

I am sold on these figs now.

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2008, 11:43:08 AM »
I'll chime in with the recommendations that you go ahead and get the Front Rank miniatures. Sure, they're a little bigger, but just that. I'd say the size difference is within the margins of what most people would allow for in their own collections.
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2008, 02:00:50 PM »
...Sure, they're a little bigger, but just that. I'd say the size difference is within the margins of what most people would allow for in their own collections.

I think they fit well together especially against “characters”  from the Foundry range since those are already a tad bigger then the "rank and file" pirates within the range.

Here are two pictures I take for you. Note that the WSS Figures are not based...

Cheers!  :)
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2008, 10:00:39 PM »
Thanks Calimero - very nice!  :)

What nationality are they representing?

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2008, 11:35:02 PM »
France… the cavalrymen is from a Royal Regiment, the infantryman are from Normandie (left) and Enghien Regiments (right)… But I don’t use them with my pirates… If I were to buy WSS figures for a pirate game, I would probably buy British in cloth cap to represent Marines.

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2008, 11:58:19 PM »
They are very cool!
I intend on getting "marines" for different nationalities and yours pictured would probably do well enough for both French and Spanish (we're not too fussed about historical accuracy). I'll get the British grenadiers for British Marines,  the British Musketeers for British soldiers and some Dutch tricornes as well.

What ruleset do you use for pirate games Calimero?

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2008, 02:00:36 AM »
I don’t really play Wargames.  :? I’m more of a figures painter (not a professional one, just for fun). In fact I will probably sell some, if not all, of my pirates to make place for other things (such as WSS). I don’t really have the opportunity to play wargames because of the lack of opponent… I can’t really help you with the rules for Pirates Games but you should take a look at this site;

http://www.freewargamesrules.co.uk/

Just look for the 18th Century file in the periods section on the left of the page.

I hope it help you.

Cheers!  :)