Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:08:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689661
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: TO DEFY A KING New ECW rules (Comercial)  (Read 6997 times)

Offline alcal

• Scientist
TO DEFY A KING New ECW rules (Comercial)
« on: September 30, 2014, 06:23:53 PM »
Hi guys some info for you:

Keith Johnson author of To Defy a King will be running a participation game at  the WARFARE show Reading 15th & 16th Nov. Please look us up for a chat or a game.

Hi All
Just to let you know that I'll be at Derby for all of Saturday and the rules will have their first show outing!!
Anyone wanting to buy the rules will be able to do so from the following stands:

Redoubt Enterprises
Dave Lanchester Books
Wargames Illustrated

If anyone wants to meet up and have a chat please let me know at one of the above stands.
cheers
Keith

Some info about the new rules from Wargames Despatch:
http://www.wargamesdispatch.co.uk/to_defy_a_king.html

To Defy a King are tabletop War games rules for the English Civil War. The Rules are designed to give a flavour of the period whilst giving a quick and easy game. Games can be played with anything from a few units up to a full scale battle lasting all day. The rules have been designed with games lasting 3 to 4 hours using around 10 units per side.

There is a unique game set up using unit cards and army lists that use cards for each year of the war. The main unit within these rules is the regiment and each regiment is made up of a number of stands. Units can be as small as 2 stands going up to as large as 10 stands. All dice required in these rules are D6.

Included in the rulebook are the rules, army lists along with a battle report. You are also provided with a fast sheet and 10 A4 cards that provide the unit cards that make up all of the army lists.

Few more pics:

« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 10:22:58 PM by alcal »

Offline WitchfinderGeneral

• Mad Scientist
Re: TO DEFY A KING New ECW rules (Comercial)
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 07:36:15 PM »
That thing with the cards sounds interesting. I like to be 'guided' by the army list because I don't know much about ECW. The layout also looks nice.
The pictures look 28mm to me. Are the rules also suitable for 15mm?
"I'd like to send this letter to the Prussian consulate in Siam by aeromail. Am I too late for the 4:30 autogyro?"
"Uh, I better look in the manual... This book must be out of date. I don't see "Prussia", "Siam" or "autogyro"...

Offline alcal

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 09:06:57 PM »
Hi yeh you could use them for 15mm but you would have to figure out a different movement rate and alter the ranges.

AL

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 02:03:42 PM »
Arrived quickly, safely (and dry - lucky with the weather this week).

Shall settle down with a cuppa and comfy reading slippers asap
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Juan

• Mad Scientist
    • Manche´s Walpurgisnacht
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014, 08:37:40 PM »
Very interesting and really nice layout.

Offline alcal

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2014, 10:26:37 PM »
Keith Johnson author of To Defy a King will be running a participation game at  the WARFARE show Reading 15th & 16th Nov. Please look us up for a chat or a game.

Offline Rob_bresnen

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2014, 06:14:43 PM »
Well done on winning the award for best participation game guys.
Theres more 28mm Superhero Madness at my blog, http://fourcoloursupers.blogspot.com/
And for Ultra-modern Wargaming check out Hotel Zugando at http://ultramoderngaming.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Leapsnbounds

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2014, 03:28:55 AM »
They look interesting.  I would like to give them a try

Offline mdomino

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2015, 03:51:06 AM »
Hi. Has anyone played this set? I normally play Regiment of Foote from Peter Pig. Wondering how these might differ. I've heard they might be influenced by Forlorn Hope. Thanks.
Mike D

Offline Rob_bresnen

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2015, 01:32:28 PM »
I haven't played any other ECW systems so I couldn't compare them, but We play these rules all the time and they are great. they are fast paced enough to get right through a big multiplayer game in an evening, but still give plenty of feel and character for the period.

Offline mdomino

• Librarian
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2015, 03:02:15 PM »
Generally how many bases compose your foot units in those multiplayer games? Looking at the turn sequence, initiative is determined and movement is alternate depending on initiative. Does that mean entire side A moves, then entire side B moves? Thanks.
Mike D

Offline Rob_bresnen

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2015, 05:17:57 PM »
Bases- A medium sided pike and shot would be four pike and four shot- we use 28mm figures- four on a base- 40mm square. Cavalry are usually about 5 bases- two horses per base.
Dragoons are on the same bases as infantry but are represented by 3 figures per base.

The movement/initiative is as you have described- one side moves, then the other. Depending upon the orders units have the unit may have the choice to counter-charge or evade if charged, so then they get to move during the enemies movement phase, but that is an exception.

Offline alcal

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2015, 07:29:41 PM »
Generally how many bases compose your foot units in those multiplayer games? Looking at the turn sequence, initiative is determined and movement is alternate depending on initiative. Does that mean entire side A moves, then entire side B moves? Thanks.
Mike D

If you win initiative you can decide wether to go first or second it is done by brigade but in attack defence games sometimes we just do the whole of one side then the other.

Cheers AL