Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:21:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690930
  • Total Topics: 118359
  • Online Today: 698
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Plastic Predators and Aliens...  (Read 7259 times)

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Re: Plastic Predators and Aliens...
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2014, 09:06:05 AM »
I should...as I do all of my skeptical initial thoughts: I truly hope to be proved completely wrong, lol.

I would love for these to clip up nice and clean, assemble easily and look fantastic.  I'll just be holding my breath till I see some real life reviews.   ;)
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2014, 09:28:12 AM »
I haven't seen the xenos yet but even if they are very multi part it must be easier than cutting the extra arms off a GW genestealer and making back tubes out of them, which was what I was doing!

These can't be too far off delivery? 

This is the 3D work which will be used to create the tool for injection molding of the hard plastic aka the retail minatures and has nothing to do with the KS miniatures (resin).
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Photobucket: http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd388/zizi666/
BGG: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/zizi666

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2014, 10:06:58 AM »
This is the 3D work which will be used to create the tool for injection molding of the hard plastic aka the retail minatures and has nothing to do with the KS miniatures (resin).

You know I quite forgot that the Kickstarter minis were resin!

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2014, 10:55:39 AM »
You know I quite forgot that the Kickstarter minis were resin!

Yeah, when I saw this thread, I did too. Only when starting to type my reply I recollected that fact...

Offline Legion1963

• Mastermind
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2014, 06:58:14 PM »
Indeed. These look very nice.  8)

Offline Whitwort Stormbringer

• Scientist
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2014, 07:59:50 PM »
Regarding small/fiddly bits, it's really just the 3-part head, 2 of which are hair, that seems unnecessary, to me.  The other very small parts appear to be extra skulls and whatnot.

What bugs me a bit is that, as far as I can tell, the blue legs/torso parts can't intermingle with the yellow or red, and I can't tell how easily the yellow/red parts would mix.  I assume you can fit any of the three bodies with whichever heads and arms you like, although some look like they might be a bit awkward, but if the torsos/legs aren't designed to mix and match, why have them in so many parts in the first place?

Oh well, whine whine whine, they look great anyways and I'll probably buckle and get some!  :D

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2014, 01:11:09 AM »
I agree with Whitwort,
     Multpart parts don't bother me. It's the way things are going, and folks who have started their gaming lives with GW in the past 15 years or so expect it.

What annoys me is that this many parts isn't going to result in nearly as much variability in pose as there could be. 

-Why only one torso separate?  They could all have been rotatable and interchangeable! 

-Why do most of the legs meet in square pegs? They could have been on sockets!

That said, they are predators and aren't generally found in great numbers so differentiation isn't really the issue. I'm sure the final product will look quite good and make many AVP fans happy.

Offline CptJake

• Mastermind
  • Hooah!
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2014, 11:25:20 AM »
As much as I like them, these were supposed to be the One Piece castings for the retail release of the board game. 

Providing those sprues in the retail version is going to kill sales among the very large board game market, and that does not bode well for the game doing well and being expanded.   

I think Prodos is shooting themselves in the foot here.   Miniature gamers/modelers will be okay with this, but I think Fox was expecting to get more out of the license in the board game market.   

We'll see.
Every time a bad person dies, a Paratrooper gets his wings.

Offline Giger

• Mad Scientist
    • Crucium Giger's Blog
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2014, 12:41:20 PM »
Don't know if this is the case but perhaps Prodos were only showing us the sprues that were being produce and they'll be pre-assembled for the boxed game (Mantic has done pre-assemble for Mars Attacks, different I know but still worth noting) as that's what tehy'll need to be to appeal in any way to the board gamers otherwise it'll be a miniatures game for us hobbyists only.

Offline CptJake

• Mastermind
  • Hooah!
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2014, 01:09:15 PM »
Asking for pre-assembly with that many pieces per figure seems a recipe for very poorly assembled figures in the box, and a higher price point.   I don't see it happening, though we don't really know yet.   

I'll likely have enough resin figures if/when they finally deliver on the KS pledges, but can see buying a retail version of the game to have figures (even if they need assembly) that will stand up to play with younger kids better than the resin is likely to do.   They will be fun to help my daughter assemble and then let her paint up so we can play.

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2014, 02:16:44 PM »
Asking for pre-assembly with that many pieces per figure seems a recipe for very poorly assembled figures in the box, and a higher price point.   I don't see it happening, though we don't really know yet. 

+1
If you intend to assemble these for retail, then why cast more pieces then needed? (considering you need more material for both pieces and larger sprues as well as more work on the tool...)

Offline JamesFlowers

• Assistant
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2014, 10:47:37 PM »
I think the copplstone ones look nicer

Offline The Dozing Dragon

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • The Little Soldier Company
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2014, 02:24:11 AM »
I love the Copplestone and Heresy versions...there are also the 'a little pricey' but exquisite Predatorp...one example here.............

http://predastore.ch/lang-en/11-kits-28-mm

I do hope these are released a separate from a boxed game.....I will certainly jump on them to add to the plastic mountain.

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2014, 10:01:14 PM »
I didn't realize there were so many options out there for Predator figures. If I didn't have my converted HorrorClix figures already I can easily imagine looking at all of these with great interest!
obsidian3d
www.o2media.ca

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2014, 09:01:50 AM »
These will be sprued like this. For the boardgame, it was decided mutually by Prodos Games and Fox that it was important to ensure that quality is something that comes through the whole project. So, 1 piece models, or badly pre-assembled models, was not an option.

As for designing a multipart kit, we simply do not have the spare funds to invest in that and do it well. Someone said the bodies could have been interchangable etc, actually, no they couldn't. :P

Once these are available (a date we are not sure on), they will be in the Boxed Set and also available separately in 'squad boxes'.

Currently the only thing delaying the release and KS shipments of everything else is the approval of editorial from Fox. All the written material.