Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:32:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Who's done a kickstarter? If so, was it successful? how did it go?  (Read 7807 times)

Offline jamii

• Bookworm
hello,

my name is Jami. I come by this forum often, but most of the time im just lurking reading other ppls posts.

well today I had a question; who here has done a successful kickstarter?

I would love to hear ppls input on how it went, what to watch out for, how many ppl pledged/took part in, and do you feel it was successful?

Ive noticed some people have cancelled some kickstarters mid way thru, even tho ppl were making pledges.

I was wondering what went wrong.

Any trials and tribulations you went thru, if you would be willing to share, would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
Re: Who's done a kickstarter? If so, was it successful? how did it go?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 04:18:45 AM »
I have backed KS projects from many folks frequenting these froums: Andrew May of Meridian Miniatures, Antimatter (Eric) from Antimatter Games (DeepWars/Shadowsea), to name a few.  Both users come by here often enough, I am sure you could get an answer from them.

Are you planning to run a KS for yourself?
Paint log - leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=36840.0

Blog - My life in Millimetres

Offline Bergil

• Mad Scientist
  • Toy maker
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2014, 04:20:41 AM »
Don't do it! It'l make you go  ;D

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2014, 09:37:21 AM »
I've pledged several :
The first were Wreck-Age (just a small amount to support a member which got me a couple of nice figs)
next was the Zombie Plague comic from Roebeast (and later on the superb miniatures he produced)
The first big pledge was Zombicide which was a fantastic experience and got me hooked on KS  :?
This was followed by my first KS disaster : Sedition Wars (minis in crappy material, gameboards that warped like a bent Iphone6 and an incomplete ruleset...
Zombicide 2 was again a joy and restored my faith in KS.
Unfortunately a friend pointed me towards Dark, Darker, Darkest. A 28mm horor Coop boardgame and my second disaster. When delivered the minis turned out to be more like 20mm and 1 mini was missing. 1 year later and still haven't received my missing fig  >:( Rules were flawed, but the designer of the game already posted an alternative ruleset on Boardgamegeek.
Since then I pledged Battlesystems SF Terrain (already received and all in all happy with that one) and I am waiting on delivery of Incursion (the optional metal figs have already arrived and are gorgeous), Aliens vs. Predator and Zombicide season 3.
So, when pledging a KS with minis, be sure they are gonna be the right size and made out of the right materials.
When in doubt, pledge $1. That'll keep you updated as a backer and you can always upgrade your pledge.
Expect delays!  AvP is already 6 months delayed and probably won't be delivered within the next months.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Photobucket: http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd388/zizi666/
BGG: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/zizi666

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2014, 09:38:10 AM »
I've backed one (it went fine, but with a few delays) but haven't launched one myself. I have, however, floated a business proposition and had it shot down in flames.

The short version of my advice is - 'Do your homework'.

The long version is - the less you leave to chance, the less you rely on other people's competency and honesty, the more secure your project will be and the more likely backers will be happy to trust you with their money.

Have some solid figures based on good research and make sure you work in a decent profit for yourself. If you try to wing it or fly by the seat of your pants well ... that's a huge risk. A lot of honest, intelligent people have ruined themselves through weak planning and bad luck.

Get a sturdy plan in place, get quotes for the work you need done and shop around for good prices. Follow up references so you get a feel for the people you will be working with (assuming you'll be working with others at some stage). Liking someone is not the same as knowing they are good business people.

With timelines it is a lot, lot better to over-estimate any completion dates and deadlines, than to under-estimate and have delays. If you tell your customers they will need to wait six months, and then delivery in five, they'll be happy. If you tell them to wait three months and delivery in four, they won't be so happy. Under promise, over deliver.

Overall, the work you put in beforehand is going to pay you back ten times over when things get up and running. Even a dead end is not wasted, because it helps to narrow your options to better ones. Best of luck with it, I hope things take off for you.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline black hat miniatures

• Mad Scientist
    • http://www.blackhat.co.uk/
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2014, 09:53:53 AM »
I ran a Kickstarter to add a small range of WW1 Halflngs to my existing WW1 Goblin range.  It was deliberately very limited in scope and was really a test to see what Kickstarter was about, how to run a campaign, etc.

The campaign was successful and reached a couple of stretch goals without being too wildly successful which would have meant possibly more work than I could cope with.

There was slight delay (1 month) in delivery as my mould-making machine broke in the middle and I had to farm out the production of two moulds to a friend.

I would consider doing it again but probably with longer timescales.  I am considering using it to develop the French for my 18mm Martian Empires range to complete the range as it would let me judge the amount of interest in adding that range.

Mike
Mike Lewis

Black Hat Miniatures
www.blackhat.co.uk

Offline jamii

• Bookworm
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2014, 03:19:48 AM »
Well, that is all good advice from everyone, much thanks.

I ran a Kickstarter to add a small range of WW1 Halflngs to my existing WW1 Goblin range.  It was deliberately very limited in scope and was really a test to see what Kickstarter was about, how to run a campaign, etc.

The campaign was successful and reached a couple of stretch goals without being too wildly successful which would have meant possibly more work than I could cope with.

There was slight delay (1 month) in delivery as my mould-making machine broke in the middle and I had to farm out the production of two moulds to a friend.

I would consider doing it again but probably with longer timescales.  I am considering using it to develop the French for my 18mm Martian Empires range to complete the range as it would let me judge the amount of interest in adding that range.

Mike

I would imagine people would have confidence that you would deliver as promised, because you're already in business. (Ppl have bought from you before, and they would know what to expect.) I would also imagine, you already have a considerable customer base to pull from. I also assume in order for a kickstarter to work, people obviously need to know about it. ie, sending out newsletters informing them.

So my question then is that im pondering, lets say you have an email list of about 500 customers... I would guess maybe 10% of them would be a low estimate, but a brutally realistic expectation that would pledge and take part in...

hmmm...

I just gave myself more to ponder.

well, another thing that I have noticed, some people only showed sketches and designs. Others, showed all the minis already sculpted. Some still, showed some with some of the pattern mould stage already started.

That, I think would give people the most confidence; already seeing some completed, so they already have an idea of what theyre getting...

hmmm...  ???

Offline jamii

• Bookworm
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2014, 03:25:17 AM »
Oh, and before I forget, scheduling; when is the best time of year to start one?

Im thinking middle January, after the Holidays are over. But again, that is an assumption.

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2014, 07:08:45 AM »
I would imagine people would have confidence that you would deliver as promised, because you're already in business.

Ehm, learnt the hard way that this isn't always true with Sedition Wars.
I had always marveled over McVey's miniatures, but never bought any as they were rather expensive.
So, when he started his KS, I immediatly signed up. After all, it IS McVey, right? Renown for his excellent minis. What could possibly go wrong?
A lot so it seemed. Figures casted in PVC that you had to soak in boiling water to fix deformation, mould lines on the worst of places that you can't sand off (need to be shaved off with a sharp blade), warping gameboards and an unfinished ruleset. When people started asking him about unclear sections of the rules on his forum, he had the audacity to answer that he had no time to clear things up since he was working on the sequel to the game...
This KS really left a bad taste in my mouth  :'(

Steve63

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2014, 10:15:51 AM »
the less you leave to chance, the less you rely on other people's competency and honesty, the more secure your project
That applies to just about everything.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2014, 11:35:26 AM »
That applies to just about everything.

Ain't that the sad truth.

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2014, 11:59:49 AM »
I'm in talks right now, and pretty much decided, at do work for an upcoming KS project.  It is set to launch next month, but I'd rather hold off on anything more until after the project is over. 
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2014, 01:31:51 PM »
Oh, and before I forget, scheduling; when is the best time of year to start one?

Im thinking middle January, after the Holidays are over. But again, that is an assumption.

No matter when you run one, there will always be a bigger competitor at the same time, whether its a holiday season and the associated spending, or one of the 'big' companies (CMoN, Reaper, Mantic, etc) will be running, will have just run, or will be about to run some 'crazy good deal' on KS.  I have seen a few of the smaller companies I have backed lament at the 'poor timing' of their campaign.  IMO, there is never an optimal time to run a campaign as the competition is always quite fierce.  The big guys can throw down a lot more freebies and advertising, so expect that they will.

Offline jamii

• Bookworm
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2014, 07:39:20 PM »
No matter when you run one, there will always be a bigger competitor at the same time, whether its a holiday season and the associated spending, or one of the 'big' companies (CMoN, Reaper, Mantic, etc) will be running, will have just run, or will be about to run some 'crazy good deal' on KS.  I have seen a few of the smaller companies I have backed lament at the 'poor timing' of their campaign.  IMO, there is never an optimal time to run a campaign as the competition is always quite fierce.  The big guys can throw down a lot more freebies and advertising, so expect that they will.

yeeeah, about that- What is the point of a large company doing a kickstarter; they already have the funds at their disposal. I thought the whole point of kickstarter was a way for the little guys to get projects off the ground.

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2014, 01:47:41 AM »
In spirit, perhaps, but I would say Kickstarter exists to make money for Kickstarter inc.  lol  The big guys make kickstarter way more money than the little guys, considering they take a cut of every dollar raised. TBH though, even the 'big guys' aren't necessarily swimming in cash to fund new adventures.  If they can avoid a bank loan to make a new product, then why not? 

As a backer, I often feel more comfortable supporting a larger, established company (if I like the product) as it is more likely that the stuff will be produced, rather than having an unknown startup company take my money and then fail to deliver.