Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 08:29:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690840
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Who's done a kickstarter? If so, was it successful? how did it go?  (Read 7808 times)

Offline black hat miniatures

• Mad Scientist
    • http://www.blackhat.co.uk/
Re: Who's done a kickstarter? If so, was it successful? how did it go?
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2014, 08:49:48 AM »
I get my foam from a company in the UK called Foamforcomfort who cut to size.  They cost me about 3p a foam square cut to size if bought 1,000 at a time.

That is cheaper than the insert card or blister...

Mike
Mike Lewis

Black Hat Miniatures
www.blackhat.co.uk

Offline lou passejaire

• Mastermind
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2014, 01:27:12 PM »
to speak crude " i won't put a single €/£/$ in a kickstarter from an unknown company/sculptor ..."
and i won't put a single €/£/$ in a kickstarter for products already avaible elsewhere . :o

and i'm quite anxious if the packaging is your problem ... i can send you tons of empty blister ... i never buy miniatures for the blister ! ;)

speaking of minis, you have to say " hi guys, i want this figure/model, nobody produce it, i can but can't afford the whole cost, you want some ? can we do something together ? kickstarter ? Go !"
Dans les situations critiques, quand on parle avec un calibre bien en pogne, personne ne conteste plus. Y'a des statistiques là-dessus.

Offline jamii

• Bookworm
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2014, 04:46:00 PM »
I get my foam from a company in the UK called Foamforcomfort who cut to size.  They cost me about 3p a foam square cut to size if bought 1,000 at a time.

That is cheaper than the insert card or blister...

Mike

thanks again. eeeh... and that's my problem. everything ive been digging up is overseas.
Its frustrating. The first spin-casting shop I tried out for a few pattern moulds was in England. The cost to bulk ship metal minis here was astronomical, a lot of them arrived damaged, even worse the packages were constantly being intercepted. A lot of tears and agony.

it was so frustrating, that they had to be in resin. The metal, packed in so tightly, they couldn't x-ray at customs in New York, so each box got delayed a month as each one was red-flagged, opened and inspected.

it was heart breaking and frustrating.

Ive since found a spin-casting shop here on the west coast, but even the 25mm plastic bases are still coming from overseas. As ive yet to find a source here.

A lot of tears, heart-break, and frustration, but eventually ill see it all through.  :D

Offline jamii

• Bookworm
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2014, 10:35:10 PM »
Might I suggest you email some US minis companies and ask them real nice if they could spare 25 minutes on the phone at their convenience in regard to packing supplies and casting.

Every challenge you will face has been faced by someone else in the industry. Get their help in pointing the way.

ive tried that. (wont say with who) but ive sent out several emails to a few. They're very tight lipped. I don't understand why, I could never possibly pose a threat to them, what I am currently doing, and plan to do is an entirely different genre all together. American Civil War + Zombies. That's one of the projects im contemplating. I don't believe ive seen anyone do anything like that yet, atleast not on the 28mm scale (I have seen 1/35th) but that's just one example. And did I mention its my own money ive been using so far? Its not like I have even a rain drop in a bucket compared to their resources.   :-[

Come to think of it, I don't believe ive ever asked an actual store owner; they must be getting those bases from somewhere, I see them selling them in bulk in little baggies.
And theyre sellers, not producers, so what have they got to loose. There's a place here its called 'The Gamescape', ill walk right in there with a few minis in a box, a nice introduction 'hay I come in here all the time, check out these minis im producing, blah,blah,blah, ...Would you happen to by chance know where I can get more of these bases wholesale?'

Alright its a plan.

All they can say is 'sorry, no'.  lol

Offline Archie

• Mad Scientist
    • The Grinning Frog
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2014, 08:40:51 PM »
I can see no reason why a shop wouldnt tell you who their suppliers are. There has to be someone in the US making plastic bases ... backtrack up the supplier chain to find the manufacturer.

Personally I wouldnt rely on emails to get answers or help from companies. Ring them and ask to speak with the owner / directors of the business. Ideally have the name of the person before you call but if not just ask for the top dog when you call.

I train headhunters and researchers and a phone call is a much better way to get information than emails.

Offline Sculptdude

• Schoolboy
    • Bombshell Miniatures
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2014, 12:38:30 PM »
All of the research you are asking about I have done over the past three years.

If you want to see about my Kickstarter experiences, I wrote a little editorial about my projects here.
http://www.patrickkeith.com/2014/03/my-memoirs-of-kickstarter.html

For materials and supplies:

Plastic bases are available here
http://www.dice.co.uk/fs_hobbyacc.htm
Soon, Reaper will be producing a variety of their own bases in the US for both consumer and wholesale purchase in the most popular styles, these are currently the only styles available but you can contact them for wholesale quantities:
https://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/Bases/sku-down

Placon is a great place to get a variety of clamshells we get ours from them.
Find a local copy shop/printer to have your clamshell inserts digitally printed. They should have a way to trim them to size.

Search for a local foam supplier in your area that you can drive to and pick up the foam so you don't have to pay for shipping. We spent $400 to have a special die made to cut our foam and then they average about 10¢ a square. You want charcoal urethane foam or, as we did. send them exsiting foam samples and they will match what you send them. For a start, we order our foam from here:
http://www.foamfabricatorsinc.com/

Having said all of that, do NOT send retail packaging for your Kickstarter fulfillment. Retail packaging should be reserved for just that, retail. It is much too expensive to ship rewards that have been packaged for retail and the backers do not care as long as the items are safely packaged and are not damaged. We find that 4 mil polybags are perfectly fine for metal minis.

Most minis companies are way too busy for a phone call or email so doing your own legwork is a real challenge. Hopefully this will give you a head start.

Offline Archie

• Mad Scientist
    • The Grinning Frog
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2014, 07:05:57 AM »
Several everyday I would imagine Scurv buy in this case the person is looking for information and advice rather than to sell them something so by putting that message forward clearly the call shoukd get progressed through.

"I am doing some research and wanted their help...

"I was hoping they could help me ...

"I have a quick question for Mr / Mrs X ...

Part emotional appeal, part direct request. The person might have to be a bit dogged but I would fully expect them to be able to get through with persistence.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2014, 04:57:47 PM »
me personally I would start with I am a big fan of your miniatures....

This probably works a lot better for a smaller company than a larger one.

Luckily most minis makers are pretty small outfits.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2014, 05:10:14 PM »
One of the very best KS projects that I have been part of and one that just delivered its pledges is Across the Dead Earth.  Maybe if you contact them they can give you some tips on what they did right and maybe what they would have dont differently.  But from a pledger pov, if they ran another one that had a subject I was interested in, I'd have zero hesitation to fork over my money.   They did everything they said they would, and more, and on time.
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka