Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:53:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Kontos/spear and bow armed cavalry  (Read 5421 times)

Offline scarabminiatures

• Scientist
    • Scarab Miniatures
Re: Kontos/spear and bow armed cavalry
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2014, 08:21:25 PM »
Andy

A couple of years ago at the Society of Ancients Battleday (lots of different games using different rules being used - great fun!) we did the battle of Chalons

I produced some orders of battle and of course the all important profiles for War & Conquest - after the battle I know I spotted a couple of errors but I will wing the original across to you via the wonders of email - it might come in useful for those lists and the various troop types.

Next year, the Society Battleday will be Hydaspes so get your Alexander models ready for action!
We will be there with a War & Conquest game, theres a possibility Scarab may even do a small range of Indians to accompany the event  :D
Kind regards
Rob Broom
ScarabMiniatures
www.scarabminiatures.com
www.warandconquest.co.uk

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2014, 11:27:24 PM »
I don't have any Alexander the Great era models...Marius/Sulla/Pompey/Caesar is as early as I go at the mo.  :(

I'd love to see those Chalons lists as Patrician Romans is a big favourite of mine and is one I'd like to put in the mix as a European contemporary of the Arthurians. So yes please, do wing them over on the email, please!

Interestingly, having been reading quite a lot of Procopius plus some other works/articles about the mid 6th century and the Gothic wars in particular, I'm increasingly coming around to questioning the way many wargame rules' army lists portray the Ostrogoths - the idea of massed light infantry archers seems increasingly implausible reading the (admittedly Roman-biased) accounts of Belisarius' battles against them and their inability to reply effectively to Roman archery other than by simply attacking the archers hand-to-hand and forcing them back... Close order infantry spearmen supported by spear armed cavalry seems far more the order of then day (and without the restriction forcing them to have loads of cavalry either, as there's an awful lot of mention of foot warriors, especially in the battles outside Rome...)

Offline scarabminiatures

• Scientist
    • Scarab Miniatures
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2014, 08:08:09 PM »
Andy

lists in the email system and on their way - as for the Alexander battle - we have the armies, just come along and play..