Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:03:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689744
  • Total Topics: 118292
  • Online Today: 821
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Pulp Alley for Old West  (Read 8942 times)

Offline Goshawk

• Assistant
    • BGG Profile
Re: Pulp Alley for Old West
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2014, 04:29:23 AM »
Ah, yes...forgot about that one!  I'll see if I can find my copy. Thanks for the reminder!

I'm not sure if they're still available for free download, but Blackwater Gulch rules are pretty good. I've played a half dozen games and enjoyed it quite a lot. You can use pre-made gangs or create your own, and the weapons list is pretty solid without being ridiculously detailed. I made up two squads of five from scratch, for my EM4 western pre-paints in about an hour.

http://obsidian3d.blogspot.ca/2012/09/wild-west-wanderings.html
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
...and the obligatory wargaming blog:
https://thedivergentwargamer.wordpress.com/

Offline Alcide Nikopol

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2014, 03:22:17 PM »
Fine work on your Pulp Alley league cards. That's an idea worth stealing.
Our group has played most of the games mentioned in this thread and we decided to use Pulp Alley for our Old West campaign. Brilliant game mechanics, surprisingly tactical, granular in all the right places, really cannot say enough good things about it.
A.Nik-

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2014, 10:50:28 AM »
Goshawk, where in NC are you?  I'm down in SC. 

You can peruse the rules for Shoot N' Skedaddle for free:

https://www.thegamecrafter.com/games/shoot-n-skedaddle-boxed-version-

In the "Downloads" part of the page.  While I'm taking off for a few months, I'd be happy to run some games for ya if you're in Charlotte or Raleigh some time.

2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Goshawk

• Assistant
    • BGG Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2014, 06:38:09 PM »
Elbows, I'm in Mooresville (on the north side of Charlotte) and would love to play SNS. As I recall, Shoot N' Skedaddle was at Siege of Augusta, but I had a conflict and didn't make it into the game.  Was that you?  It was a great looking setup.  Thanks for the link to the rules!

In what part of South Cackalacky are you?

Goshawk, where in NC are you?  I'm down in SC. 

You can peruse the rules for Shoot N' Skedaddle for free:

https://www.thegamecrafter.com/games/shoot-n-skedaddle-boxed-version-

In the "Downloads" part of the page.  While I'm taking off for a few months, I'd be happy to run some games for ya if you're in Charlotte or Raleigh some time.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2014, 12:52:34 AM »
Ah, I know Mooresville (went to UNCC).  Yeah I was running it at Siege of Augusta (had a buddy run a game as well).  I'm actually potentially moving to Rock Hill after these next 10 weeks, so if I do, I'll hit you up and we can get together and game.  I'm currently down around Charleston.

Oh, and please don't wait 10 weeks for me to run SnS before you decide on other rules...get as many as you can!  lol

Offline Jan

• Bookworm
  • English isn't my first language. Forgive me. ;)
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2014, 11:30:22 AM »
Yes, Pulp Alley gets away from the idea that characters are just walking-weapons. "That's a shotgun-guy" is pretty limiting and unrealistic when you really think about it. Personally, I can guarantee you that I'm far more dangerous with a .38 revolver than a shotgun.

There are weapons in Pulp Alley and they are part of the character profile/abilities. If you're guy is effective with a shotgun, then you can pick Short Blast, Blast or even Burst Fire ability. If you want your guy to be good with a rifle, then take Eagle-eye and so on. So when you create a character you take their weapons into account.

Ok, in Fistful of Lead you can say, that the characters are „just walking-weapons“ but this system is designed to be very easy. Let everyone choose an additional ability and you have a first characterisation. The common thing ist, that miniatures and weapons are two different things with two profiles. I (just me) like this more.

In MY OPINION a weapon can be used more or less effective influenced by the skill of the being carrying it. BUT this will not make the shotgun a long range weapon or a pistol to a rocket launcher (does not change characteristics of a weapon type). So if you are more dangerous with a revolver than a long rifle, i guarantee you, that you will change your opinion when you have to hit a target realy far away (more than 24“ ^^). I think my point is clear.

So now you have pulp alley. A system with many possibilities for characterisation. I like it very much.
But if you want to take in account the different weapons the guys on the table are wearing you have to use the abilities to do that and no ability-slots are left to illustrate the charasteristics of the model itself (see Allys and Follower). Or look at a guy without weapon (Ally, Follower). You „HAVE“ to give him the Brawl/Animal Ability. Sure you could give him something else and say „He ist throwing knives/stones/bits of snot now, but …

This is just my opinion and one of the reasons PA is not my favorite system fort he settings i play. It is much worse in a setting like 40k FOR ME, cause there i want to illustrate different types of armor AND weapons AND equipment/characteristics.

But hey, you CAN play all of them. It is just a question of taste. Of course you could increase the abilities for each characterclass or something like that.
X-Wing | Oak & Iron | Old West & Sci-Fi Skirmish (WiP)

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2014, 05:20:59 PM »
'Fistful of Lead' for me every time, no dicking about, fill yore hands and go for it...
never had a game yet that didn't make me feel like a Cowboy!

:-*
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline Goshawk

• Assistant
    • BGG Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2014, 03:22:19 PM »
Pulp Alley was a great success themed for the "Old West."  I hosted one session at the MACE con in Charlotte, NC last weekend and another session last night for a local gaming group.  None of the players had played or heard of Pulp Alley, but impressions were very good.  Wheels were spinning during the games as to how the system could be easily adapted to virtually any setting.  Great fun was had by all in each game.

The setup was four rival "gangs" (Leagues just doesn't sound right for the Old West) vying for the standard five plot points distributed across town.  The major plot point was secured in the first game (giving the player the win), but was unclaimed in the second game which resulted in a three-way tie (one faction was left empty-handed).

Some pics from the games:

The setup:

Sarah Toombs sneakin'.

After Old Elroy dropped the plot point, other interested parties showed up.  Remarkably...neither was able to do diddly-squat to his nemesis...and neither could get their hands on the plot point.

The Witch keeps an eye on the street.

Showdown on the gallows.  Sarah Toombs went down, but shortly thereafter her compatriot, Tess Duvall, fanned down bandit Joaquin Murrieta.  No plot point for you!

Character cards:

« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 04:07:22 AM by Goshawk »

Offline Alcide Nikopol

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2014, 09:42:21 PM »
Wonderful photos. Nice use of the Whitewash City buildings. I want some cards like those for our Pulp Alley games.

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2014, 12:10:08 PM »
Pulp Alley was a great success themed for the "Old West."  I hosted one session at the MACE con in Charlotte, NC last weekend and another session last night for a local gaming group.  None of the players had played or heard of Pulp Alley, but impressions were very good.  Wheels were spinning during the games as to how the system could be easily adapted to virtually any setting.  Great fun was had by all in each game.

Great looking game! I'm glad y'all had fun. THANKS for sharing your pics.  :D

Years ago, when we first started playtesting some of the basic mechanics for Pulp Alley, we used my Old West cowboys and outlaws figures. In fact, the first AAR we ever posted online was a cattle rustlin' scenario.  ;)

HAVE FUN