Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 08:50:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Will Pulp Alley work for the Old West  (Read 3055 times)

Offline Goshawk

• Assistant
    • BGG Profile
Will Pulp Alley work for the Old West
« on: October 09, 2014, 01:06:09 PM »
Hi All,

Was thinking of changing up the rules set I use for my Old West minis and wanted to get some recommendations.  I've been using Gutshot, and while it's okay, it just doesn't do it for me - mainly due to the scenario balance problems.  I'm looking for something simple, fun, and convention-friendly with a modicum of balance built into the "team" building.  I recently heard about Pulp Alley via the Meeples & Miniatures Podcast and it sounded as if it could be a good match.  Anyone familiar enough with it to offer an opinion on its "Old West" compatibility?

Many thanks!

(Cross Posted in the "Old West" forum as well.)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
...and the obligatory wargaming blog:
https://thedivergentwargamer.wordpress.com/

Offline religon

• Bookworm
  • 28mm Pulp, Sci-Fi, Fantasy & Historical
Re: Will Pulp Alley work for the Old West
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 03:27:17 PM »
Absolutely. I have used the PA rules for a number of genres, but Old West requires no conversion at all. You may wish to rename a few abilities for flair, but I guarantee a world class game.

I have played lots of Old West games. I doubt I'll ever use those rules in favor of PA in the future. My last PA game had a Star Wars theme. Han Solo used his Quick-Shot ability as he blasted through about 14 lowly cowpokes...uhh...Stormtroopers.

Offline Goshawk

• Assistant
    • BGG Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 08:17:53 PM »
Sweet.

In reading the quickstart rules, I can't get a good feel for how the character creation works but it looks as though balance is built in.

And, is the expansion necessary?  (What am I asking that for, I'm sure to get it!)

It also sounds like it'll play well for multiplayer - say 4-6 players at a con.

Offline Jase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 08:21:13 PM »
My gaming group and I have played several games of Old West PA and it works remarkably well. We only play multiplayer games (5 people) and due to the Initiative system there is very little downtime for players, so everyone is continuously involved. At a local games day I ran a few games for people with no knowledge of the PA rules and they picked it up very quickly. So, very much recommended, both for multiplayer games as well as convention games.

Offline Goshawk

• Assistant
    • BGG Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 08:26:23 PM »
And...sold.  Wargamevault here I come.

Thanks for the recommendations!

Offline religon

• Bookworm
  • 28mm Pulp, Sci-Fi, Fantasy & Historical
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014, 09:51:43 PM »
As Jase says, easy to learn. You'll have fun. One thing about balance is the 6 turn limit and plot points for scoring. Because the game is a hybrid tactical race and skirmish combined, even if one side has a more potent combat portfolio, they can easily lose the race and the game. This is what happened in the Star Wars game I referenced. The Rebels mauled the Imperial player in combat, but lost the game.

Offline Jocke

• Bookworm
    • NoClear Studio
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2014, 07:27:48 AM »
Old West works realy good, we played PA with a lot of settings, actually we have an active Fallout campaign and working on a Cyberpunk one.
I have so many ideas for new settings to usw PA with... Pirates, Wuxia Kung Fu, Superheros and the list goes on...  ;D

Offline Goshawk

• Assistant
    • BGG Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2014, 12:36:06 AM »
After reading the full rules, wow, lots of possibilities.  First, Old West, then a "Kelly's Heroes" scenario using a few of my 28mm WW II.  Then, a Lego-themed game using my son's growing collection.  I'm already impressed and haven't played yet!