Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:33:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686605
  • Total Topics: 118111
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: A Tale from the Tin Shed. A 28mm Fokker F vii.Plane from Cereal Packet Card.  (Read 29864 times)

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
I'm glad you like it.
I'll start a new 'Tale from the Tin Shed'.Some time this weekend.The subject has already been Chosen.All I need to Know is Would you prefer me to Do the Traction engine,or the Howitzer first?If people prefer I could do them as two topics rather than one .As they both use the same construction methods.
Mark.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 09:37:54 PM by tin shed gamer »

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
10/10.

To answer you question - all in the same thread. I think the traction engine first (though it really doesn't matter).
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
That sounds fair.Traction engine first.
Tony how about a Ju52 ? I think it was Matt who wanted to do one.The only real difference would be the cowelling around the engines.A quick solution would be to make a shallow tube then wrap card round the outside until its thick enough for you.Then sand the rounded open end in.

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
Couldn't help but notice was that a Sopwith Camel in the book case looking pic? If so did you also construct it out of a cereal box? If so you must be eating a fair amount of cereal  lol

Fokker looks great.

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
More photos of the Sopwith here:
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=60175.msg779508#msg779508

As stated in this thread, it was an exercise in minimum number of pieces possible.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Actually the first Sopwith was made of card.Just to prove it was possible to reduce the number of parts.Its now part of scenery peice of a crashed plane in a shell hole.
You can make pritty much any Bi plane/tri plane of the war using this method.Infact pritty much any thing from this period can be done in cereal packet.(At some point I'll have figured out how to or used card to construct a concept model.I write all my concepts down .You wouldn't belive how many times those books have tried to grow legs)

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Excellent tutorial.  Your skills with just a few basic mediums is amazing.  The plane looks like it was from a scale model kit.  Well done.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
I'm glad you liked it. I've just spent the evening doing the Math(for want of a better word)on the Traction engine.It will be a much Simpler build than I thought .It can be done in one or two evenings.Depending on how much detail you put into the paint work.

Offline Pijlie

• Mastermind
    • Pijlie's blog
Re: A Tale from the Tin Shed. A 28mm Fokker F vii.Plane from Cereal Packet Card.
« Reply #83 on: September 09, 2022, 08:06:43 AM »
This is marvellously inspirational!

I wonder what I could do with XPS foam? Hmmm.....
I wish I were a glowworm
'cause glowworms 're never glum
How can you be grumpy
When the sun shines out yer bum?

http://pijlieblog.blogspot.nl/

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: A Tale from the Tin Shed. A 28mm Fokker F vii.Plane from Cereal Packet Card.
« Reply #84 on: September 22, 2022, 09:15:33 AM »
Definitely you can make planes using foam.
I've made a fair few planes from cereal packets since this tutorial  lol

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #85 on: September 22, 2022, 04:50:22 PM »
When (if?) we get back to playing Pulp Alley and when (if?) I have time I would use this tutorial to make a Gruman Goose:

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #86 on: September 22, 2022, 06:06:03 PM »
I've agreed to make a Dragon Rapide ( or it's sister plane) next as it's  a lot easier than it looks at  first glance.

I could do a Sea plane. But to be perfectly honest as your state side. It would be far simpler to go down the Ertl diecast money box route.
I've two different Ertl versions of their Grumman Goose.  The one in the 'Cutter's Goose' livery .was originally the Ertl Shell petroleum version in a red and yellow livery. Plus side coin slot is hidden under a flip up cockpit canopy. Downside quite low detail .
The Red livery is the Ertl, 'Wings of Texaco ' Goose. Plus side Good level of  detail, Down side the coin slot is in the fuselage.

The third is my water lined Smér 1/48 Walrus. Plus side easy to get very chunky model. Down side very old style of plastic detail and moulding issues. If you treat Smér kits as a white metal kit you'll love them .If your expecting scale modeling quality then you'll hate them. The real plus is their chunky build. It's got a much better survival rate on a table than the Airfix version ( in fact in the UK you can get 3 Smér Walrus models for the price of one Airfix Walrus.)

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #87 on: September 22, 2022, 06:37:15 PM »
Thanks TSG; that looks like a great option.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #88 on: September 30, 2022, 07:52:48 AM »
Fantastic collection!