Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:08:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: A Tale from the Tin Shed. A 28mm Fokker F vii.Plane from Cereal Packet Card.  (Read 29858 times)

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: A Tale from the Tin Shed. A 28mm Fokker F vii. from Cereal Packet Card.
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2014, 07:40:49 AM »
 Slow down there Fram,I was going to cover how to pimp the thing after I've shown off a bit more lol.
Joking aside,I did considor doing this,but would push it beyond the brief of card and cocktail sticks,and twenty hours.
Because you found those clear cabin pictures.You could do the whole inside with same material's,and paint it.In further six to ten hours depending on how much detailing and highlighting you do.Its a length of string,moment on a scratch build.So I've not gone down that road,but I'll cover how to if you want after I've finished the plane.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2014, 07:53:21 AM »
I think ultimately you can go into as much detail as you'd like. For me, the main difficulty I'd have is shaping the wings, so any advice or closer instructions you have there would be very appreciated. I don't know what other people might be hoping to see more of.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Amalric

• Mastermind
  • I have a bad feeling about this...
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2014, 06:39:53 PM »
Looking great so far.

How are you going to do the radial engines?

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2014, 06:49:24 PM »
Ah,thats actually easier than you think.you'll kick yourself.
It can be achived with one curve topped rib and  a single peice of card to skin the wing.
You just need to see the wing as a triangle,with one point rounded off.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 10:24:25 PM by tin shed gamer »

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2014, 07:08:58 PM »
The engine cowellings have been squared off so in profile they look the same,but in plan there rectangular.
There's a couple of reasons for this.The shape makes it easier to build.it makes it simpler to mount to the wing,and to attatch the wheel structures too.As the whole thing is hidden under the wing,the rectangle is also hidden,or face down above the wheels mud guards.As for the rest I'm cutting down the number of "heads" down to six per engine.
The heads will be made from double thickness card layers in reducing sizes.
The rest of the detailing I'll keep under my hat until I've finished them as this is the biggest time killer in the whole project.

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2014, 10:17:03 AM »
This is an excellent project, but could I plead for a tutorial as I am not sure that I can emulate your fantastic work simply by looking at the pictures.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2014, 01:33:01 PM »
I hadn't planned on doing one.It was only ever ment to be me proving it could be done,by showing it being constructed rather than just finished and painted with the odd bit of Q and A.
I'll run through how to make one if your keen. I just need to know if you want the measurements I used or just the methods and basic shapes?

Offline Bergil

• Mad Scientist
  • Toy maker
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2014, 01:36:00 PM »
Tis a thing of beauty.

Offline Constable Bertrand

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2014, 07:27:57 PM »
We certainly need the process expanded (for example fabricating the wing and radial engines, mounts and wheels) and a full process would be very nice!!! If you don't mind of course. While some sizes would be helpful - we all have access to a calculator and the schematic - so that isn't the big issue.

Thanks!!!!!
Matt

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2014, 08:57:29 PM »
okay Matt,
I'll post how to construct the wings tomorrow.But for now I'll just simply start with the wheels.
They're very simple to construct.Each wheel requires eight card disks.Its sounds alot but it should give you a wheel roughly 5mm thick.
you can use two coins as stencils a 1p for the tyres and a 5p for the hub caps.
in total you'll need 12 disc's from the 1p,and 4 disc's from the 5p.
You can speed up the proccess by drawing and cutting out only six,1p disc's and gluing them onto card,then cut around the edges to end up with six double thickness disc's,then glue three of these together,and you have a basic tyre.You'll have slight difference in disc sizes which will give you a tread effect.Then sand the outer disc on both sides to for a curve on the rim( you can sand card if you only sand at 90°ish to the edges layers and from the upper edge at an angle down to the glued edge.) the tyre then needs a 5p disc on either side .Pick one side to detail,in the centre of the disk glue a short peice of cocktail stick.around the base of the cocktail stick place mulitipul dots of neat PVA using the point of a cocktail stick.these raised dots dry to form rivits/wheel nuts ,and show up very well when you paint the wheel.
If you feel you've got the time or you think it needs it then a layer of PVA over the tread will give a smoother feel too the wheels.As you can see it doesn't take very long at all to make the wheels .
Mark

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2014, 11:00:03 PM »
Thanks Mark! Very straight forward - to someone who knows the material properties very well. Thanks for sharing your practice and insight. I'm eager for the next instalment.

I totally want to build one of these.  8)

Cheers
Matt

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2014, 12:17:24 AM »
I might as well,give a quick guide for building the body,As I'm literally sat watching paint dry.(I always run out of steam when I'm painting for myself).
Start with a rectangle the length you want the plane to be(I made it 24cm).by the max hight of the body (underside of the wing is the top of the body)copy the shape of the body from the side view plan,don't bother fiddling with adjusting measurements for curving sides its just not needed for a gaming model(its to gather dust and look pritty on your table not to fly).
mark and cut out all the windows including the door window,Then cut out the door shape(keep this to one side) before you cut out the body shape.The use the shape as a template and mark around it with a knife no a pen(keep both pannels the same size)mark and cut out the windows before you cut out the pannel.
Its worth knowing that you must always have the printed side of the card on the inside of any part you make.The printed side has a coating which is wax based and makes it difficult to paint.It also is raise so lettering will often leave raised areas in your paint work.A wonderful blended flat surface could still say "corn flakes" when the light hits it .
Then glue each pannel to a peice if card and cut around,you'll have both sides of the body with window pannels.Now go back to the door shape you saved and trim a very small amount off all the way around the door.Glue it back into the whole you cut it out from in the side pannel leaving an even gap all the way around.
Make three double thickness spacers the hight and with of the plane one for the hight of the body where the body top is level and starts to slope down(near the door),one for halfway towards the tail.
The third to be at the front behind the engine this requires a semi circular top.Also you need a double strip 5mm wide and the hight of narrowest point of the tail end.
glue the spacer behind the door in first,and attatch to both sides so you have a "H"shape.Then glue the the 5mm strip to the inside of the tail end so that the end view is now 3 layer of card thick.Now glue the other side to it to form an"A"shape.
glue the egine end spacer in place.
No take a rectangle of card and cover the top slope from the 'door'spacer down to the tail.When dry trim it back til level with the side pannels,
Now do the same to the small slope under the engine end.Once dry then take a longer peice to run from the small slope pannel the length of the underside to the tail.
Now the curved engine.Do not just cut a peice of card it won't work.Card has one direction its happy to flex in.Use that flex direction as the spine of the curved section and cut to shape around it.Make a couple of dry runs before you glue and cut into place.
Thats the basic body.detail as you feel works for the model.

Offline The-closet-gamer

• Librarian
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2014, 12:23:32 AM »
I'm very impressed. It's given me something to think about. I always tend to turn my nose up at card as a material.
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass....and I'm all out of bubblegum. No wait I've just found another pack in my back pocket. Mmm tropical fruit bubblicious.

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2014, 12:47:34 AM »
Ah! Double thickness :o thats how you did the side/door. Very smart. Thanks for taking the time to answer.  :D

I have a question Mark about warping/bending when gluing and when painting. I hope you cover these in a later instalment. I dont thinks there is anythingw orse than working on a model for 30+ hours then it all going pear shaped when you poke a paintbrush near it.  >:(

Cheers
Matt

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2014, 06:06:23 PM »
Starting to paint and construct the wings.
If your painting directly from the pot for the base colours will reduce the chance of warping.That said I've never had problems with warping as I tend to use a hair dryer to speed up drying times.
As long as you don't go mad with repeated washes then it shouldn't be an issue.
A good sign that the model needs extra time to dry is,The paint is dry to the touch but it feels colder than your room temp.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 06:59:05 PM by tin shed gamer »