Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:32:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Round of Fire  (Read 32750 times)

Offline Comsquare

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Round of Fire - Grab your Copy!
« Reply #135 on: December 16, 2017, 06:14:52 PM »
Thank you all! I've already done some sales, you're being SO kind!!!

And please, join the group on Facebook too and share your questions and stuff. I'm really planning to let RoF grow and become a big thing, if you all will help me!

Jack

Sorry, am not doing facebook, but will bother you with questions none the less  lol

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #136 on: December 16, 2017, 06:24:21 PM »
Who knows, maybe the Prof will allow a dedicated sub-forum here?

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #137 on: December 16, 2017, 07:26:45 PM »
Who knows, maybe the Prof will allow a dedicated sub-forum here?

Sounds good to me!
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
Re: Round of Fire - Link on p.1!
« Reply #138 on: December 17, 2017, 04:40:01 PM »
We'll see what we'll get. It all depends by the player base, i assume. :)

Meanwhile, a more in-depth description of the game on my site:
http://thelazyforger.com/games/round-of-fire

Cheers
Jack
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 11:02:24 AM by Sangennaru »

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #139 on: December 18, 2017, 01:52:16 PM »
I've left my review on wargames vault, quoted here for your convenience:

Full disclosure, I was involved in playtesting this game and received my copy for free because of it.

Round of Fire isn't a game that sets out the re-invent the wheel and becomes another dime a dozen skirmish game. Instead, it invented a new wheel, the eponymous "round of fire" which completely breaks up the classical turn structure we have all grown used to. Instead, the speed of a unit's action, as well as suppression by enemies will determine what unit acts when. This adds an element to the game hardly ever seen in others, tense timing! It is maybe the closest to "real-time gaming" you can get with a miniatures wargame, and makes the fight one of the most dynamic you will ever play.

The combat overall combat mechanics are nothing new under the sun, requiring a roll from the attacker and the defender. It's quick and unobtrusive. Where things get interesting is the "shock" value of weapons which acts as a suppression and pinning mechanism, delaying a unit's action on the wheel. The time (or distance?) between 2 units on the wheel will determine if a unit is capable of returning fire instantly.

My greatest critique would probably that the point system is in depth to a fault, it reminds me a bit of older days of Warhammer, where some equipment change might cost a single point. Still, some others might find value in this and spend hours tweaking their lists. Definitely, the game has an interesting army building mechanic. there are relatively few units, available to all, but each faction will influence how much units and particular upgrades cost, or even prevent the purchase of specific ones.

A surprising plus is the overall quality and presentation of the book. The layout and graphic design are better than many "professional" games out there! full of well drawn and clear diagrams as well as evocative pictures of miniatures "in action" Even though the game is meant to be setting neutral is has more character than many setting specific books.

All in all, RoF is the first game where I didn't feel like it was my turn to activate my army or even just a unit. Instead always felt like it was "now" and a unit needed to decide what their best course of action would be then and there.

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #140 on: December 19, 2017, 09:27:10 AM »
That's VERY kind Tim, thank you! :)

As a sweet news, we're on TGN too: https://www.tabletopgamingnews.com/round-of-fire-miniatures-skirmish-game-now-available/

:)

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #141 on: December 22, 2017, 08:18:29 AM »
Meanwhile, a couple of figures i painted for my elite band: I'm going to feature these in a heroic 6-players mini expansion, to show the boardgame-ish aspect of the game!

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
Re: RoF - on Wargame Vault!
« Reply #142 on: December 22, 2017, 09:35:46 AM »
Loos brill mate - that's the same guy with different equipment yeah? I'm just about to order my copy - I'll sit down with the iPad this weekend and get to grips. Stoked!

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
« Reply #143 on: December 22, 2017, 09:45:45 AM »
This is a gorgeous PDF mate...

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #144 on: December 22, 2017, 10:41:11 AM »
Loos brill mate - that's the same guy with different equipment yeah? I'm just about to order my copy - I'll sit down with the iPad this weekend and get to grips. Stoked!

I wanted to have them with the same palette, but they are more like... brothers? :D

This is a gorgeous PDF mate...

Thank you man! :)
I'm a bit stalled with the sales, I guess I covered my audience entirely. I have a few reviews and articles that will come with the next year, for now it just need sharing, i guess. I'm very present on Facebook but i don't use forums much (other than LAF), or reddit and such.

Any suggestion is welcome! :)

Jack

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #145 on: December 22, 2017, 10:56:42 AM »
You may get another sale soon - just reading through this thread to see how things play before deciding :)

The link to your website a couple of message up has a problem - you've missed the ";" after http - http//thelazyforger.com/games/round-of-fire

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #146 on: December 22, 2017, 11:06:43 AM »
You may get another sale soon - just reading through this thread to see how things play before deciding :)

The link to your website a couple of message up has a problem - you've missed the ";" after http - http//thelazyforger.com/games/round-of-fire

O thank you!!! I just fixed it.

By the Way, there is a very nice video done by a user (Sean Gewecke) during the beta-testing season earlier this year. The video is quite long and some parts can be bypassed, but it does shows the rules with only minor errors.
I'll see to do some more concise videos in the future, for now here's the link!

http://www.youtube.com/v/sz1BW_wLruw

Cheers,
Jack

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #147 on: December 22, 2017, 06:27:02 PM »
Meanwhile, i finally managed to add some full-size preview on Wargame Vault. A bunch of pages, but still it gives the idea.
Actually, I've uploaded the whole chapter regarding the wheel!

http://www.wargamevault.com/product/227996/Round-of-Fire--Core-Rules

BTW, if someone has a TMP account and is kind enough to tell the people there about that, it would be lovely!
http://theminiaturespage.com/news/talk/msg.mv?id=611366979

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #148 on: December 28, 2017, 07:02:42 PM »
Meanwhile, a few shots of today's game! Some random pictures as the game was to show the rules only, so an AAR might be hard to follow. Still, some nicely coordinated actions really destroyed my hopes for victory.

Cheers! And please do share yours too!

Jack

Offline Manchu

• Mad Scientist
    • Life on Jasoom?
« Reply #149 on: January 02, 2018, 11:59:31 AM »
Picked up a copy from WGV - very intrigued by the wheel and eager to get it on the table.