Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:34:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690844
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Round of Fire  (Read 32990 times)

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
Re: Round of Fire - Tester needed!
« Reply #90 on: May 12, 2016, 10:38:58 AM »
Some more pics that will likely go into the manual, provided by the VERY talented (but not so handy with technology ;) ) Ralph Plowman!

Cheers
Jack

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
Re: Round of Fire - Ruleset!
« Reply #91 on: May 15, 2016, 07:10:38 PM »
And, after a few, sespe tried the new version of RoF, writing a great battle report as well!

Here's the link to the thread: http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=90406

and here the blog post: http://wanderingview.blogspot.com/2016/05/round-of-fire-update-playtest.html

Cheers!
Jack

Offline sespe

• Librarian
« Reply #92 on: May 21, 2016, 12:58:31 AM »
A question on the Run action:

My version of the rules says a run action moves you 6 units.  The QRS says it moves you 3 units.
6 units seemed too far, that's halfway across the board.  3 units never gave you enough space to break contact.  I have compromised on 4 units, that seems to work well.

(A group trying to make an end-run around intercepting groups had no chance with 3-unit movement.  With 6-unit they could zoom right by.  4 units seemed enough of an advantage over walking without being overpowered.)

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #93 on: May 21, 2016, 08:35:48 AM »
A question on the Run action:

My version of the rules says a run action moves you 6 units.  The QRS says it moves you 3 units.
6 units seemed too far, that's halfway across the board.  3 units never gave you enough space to break contact.  I have compromised on 4 units, that seems to work well.

(A group trying to make an end-run around intercepting groups had no chance with 3-unit movement.  With 6-unit they could zoom right by.  4 units seemed enough of an advantage over walking without being overpowered.)

Wow! Sorry sespe, that was a heritage of a past version of the rules, run is DEFINITELY 3 units. Afterall, walking is the most efficient turns/units action, while running gives you the edge when you really need to get somewhere in time.
I hear ou about the 4 units, but that makes running far too convenient rather than walking imho. I might want to try that too though. :)

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
Re: Round of Fire
« Reply #94 on: May 21, 2016, 11:14:07 PM »
Hi Everyone!

I worked a little more on the manual layout. The rules themselves are now actually ready for testing and i'm still looking for groups willing to try it.
Just to be clear: the game is for 28mm or 15mm figures, with no preferences! Somehow looks like all the players-readers are 15mm gamers! :)

Cheers
Jack

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #95 on: December 03, 2016, 08:28:22 PM »
Cheers Everyone!
The manual is evolving well, a good portion is already paginated and yesterday i managed to introduce a new player to the game, with a full-scale scenario!

Some pics of the night:

Here the two factions ready for the game: the Elements cards have associated mini-cards for equipment and customized power-ups. This was a mid-small game, four units per side, 14 men versus 10.

Four objectives where placed per side: one was a defensive objective, another had to be captured by the enemy, but each player only knew its own goals.

Here a rectangular version of the Wheel, for the activation system:

Finally, a bunch of in-game photos. The whites advanced in the centre to offer cover to the hero running to recover the main objective. Their suppression fire worked well, although the rebels managed to deploy their HMG and burst a rain of lead, killing and suppressing people all over.

Very interesting the fact that both the Officers (one per faction) didn't do much other than giving orders (to boost the units to act quicker). both of were in good cover, with a line of sight with their troops.

Overall, the game was more static and less lethal than usual, and i think that considering the scenario and the terrain it is a good sign: The objectives were all in a neutral central zone, and both the players didn't want to loose men needlessy.
At the end, both the players managed to grab and retrieve the main objective, without grabbing anything else, and minimizing their losses. The victory was close, very close.

Cheers
Jack

REMINDER: Anyone interesting in playtesting the rules can ask, PM me or send me a raven! :)

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
« Reply #96 on: December 03, 2016, 11:56:52 PM »
Gorgeous looking game - so good. Sorry to (briefly) change the subject, but what troops are the beige blokes with the excellent visors? I don't think I've seen those before.

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #97 on: December 04, 2016, 08:50:04 AM »
Gorgeous looking game - so good. Sorry to (briefly) change the subject, but what troops are the beige blokes with the excellent visors? I don't think I've seen those before.

Thanks! :)
I honestly have no idea, we bought them painted and they look fabulously painted! One has even a sombrero hat on the back!

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #98 on: December 04, 2016, 04:26:34 PM »
Meanwhile, the scenario we played last friday!

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #99 on: June 05, 2017, 02:10:10 PM »
Hello everyone! While silent on the forum, i've been working VERY actively on the manual and the rules, and now the game is in beta-testing sincea  couple of months. The facebook group is rather active, and there is a beta-testing hidden group where players are updating me providing me with precious feedbacks.

SO FAR the game rules are in their definitive form, all that is missing are factions tweaking and additional scenarios, as well as illustrations and examples of the manual.
The factions, weapons and scenarios of the manual are focused on a modern-near-scifi setting, but the rules are setting agnostic, and soon will follow rules for fantasy melee and other settings.
The basic idea of a simulative game is that keeping the same mechanics you can vary the dynamics easily simply changing the context: different weapons, or units, or scenarios.

You can find the facebook group on the following link:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/roundoffire/
and, if you PM me here or on FB i can also add you on the beta testing group, where a link to the rules is available.

I'd really love to hear from you any feedback about the current state of the rules.

Thanks,
Jack

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #100 on: June 06, 2017, 08:25:43 AM »
I can vouch that this is a very good set of rules, with an interesting activating mechanic that integrates speed moral and suppression all into one.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
« Reply #101 on: June 10, 2017, 07:31:12 PM »
I'd be happy to give this a go if you still need a few testers. Looks really interesting.
RP Tabletop Blog:

RP vlog channel: https://www.youtube.com/@RandomPlatypus

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #102 on: June 10, 2017, 08:05:37 PM »
I can vouch that this is a very good set of rules, with an interesting activating mechanic that integrates speed moral and suppression all into one.

o thank you, Tim! :)

I'd be happy to give this a go if you still need a few testers. Looks really interesting.

Sure thing! if you have facebook, i'd rather ask you to contact me there (so i could take all the testers together), otherwise drop me a PM! Any AAR or feedback about the rules is precious!

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
« Reply #103 on: June 14, 2017, 11:27:01 PM »
Blimey - this is shaping up to be a really good looking ruleset, let alone the rules. How far off do you think it is?

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #104 on: July 30, 2017, 04:52:09 PM »
Blimey - this is shaping up to be a really good looking ruleset, let alone the rules. How far off do you think it is?

Thanks Jagannath! :)

I've released today the beta version 0.3 for the beta testers and on the group, and hopefully the FINAL version (that could be purchased!) will be available before the end of September. Honestly i can't wait to print a copy or two for myself as well!

There's mostly example illustrations and scenarios to do, the rest is already all there. :)

Cheers

Jack