Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 11:47:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690820
  • Total Topics: 118353
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 1860s New Zealand Wars  (Read 9099 times)

Offline Arteis

• Scientist
    • My 'Dressing the Lines' blog
Re: 1860s New Zealand Wars
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2014, 06:18:05 AM »
Just seen a new range of Maori from Eureka

That's interesting, Carlos.  However, I can't see them on the Eureka website. Can you provide a link by any chance?

Eureka did do a small Maori range a few years ago.  But those figures were more like true 25s, so didn't fit so well with the Eurekas.  I just sold my old Eurekas the other day.

Roly Hermans
Paraparaumu, New Zealand

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2014, 07:41:29 AM »
Sorry Roly, They've only just been cast up this week, I was in at Eureka on Friday so I had a look at the new toys.
These are brand new 28mm sculpts (Alan Marsh I think) and definitely not the old Mike Broadbent ones. Not my period of particular interest but they were such nice figures I might pick one or two up for the hell of it. There's even a character figure, somewhat bigger than the rest, depicting Maui with his net dragging up New Zealand from the depths. The rest are a mix of warriors and chiefs with traditional weapons plus a bloke blowing a conch shell or maybe just smoking an enormous conch shaped spliff.

Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2014, 09:08:01 AM »
I have seen these too. They are Alan Marsh sculpts, being very similar in style/size/quality/authenticity/wairua of the Empress ones.

They are on my list for those reasons and more.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline Arteis

• Scientist
    • My 'Dressing the Lines' blog
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2014, 09:14:34 AM »
Very interesting - I'll keep my eyes out for them!

We've got a conch shell in our office where I work, which is used for welcome ceremonies.  I've tried blowing it, but there is a real skill, and all I can produce is a rather insipid farting sound.  When in the hands of someone who knows what he is doing, the sound is really impressive, like a ship's fog horn. 

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2014, 09:29:51 AM »
Or a really good fart?!!  lol

Very interesting - I'll keep my eyes out for them!

We've got a conch shell in our office where I work, which is used for welcome ceremonies.  I've tried blowing it, but there is a real skill, and all I can produce is a rather insipid farting sound.  When in the hands of someone who knows what he is doing, the sound is really impressive, like a ship's fog horn. 
Cheers,
Poiter50

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2014, 10:15:03 AM »
Looking forward to seeing these minis and perhaps buying the odd one ;D

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2015, 09:50:15 AM »
Any updates Arteis? This is superb stuff and highly interesting!

Can't wait to see more.... going to make a Perry and Empress order very soon.

BTW, have you any pics of Maori in the 1870's? The reason I ask is that I think their attire would be more European than was the case in the 1850's(??).

Darrell.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2015, 10:42:15 AM »
Are these sailors any good for the 1860's?

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2015, 10:44:03 AM »
And....

What would the Perry Mounted equivalent be for these OG mini's (If indeed there is an equivalent at present)?

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2015, 01:44:52 PM »
Are these sailors any good for the 1860's?

No, not really. Top hats on the officers are a bit out of fashion by then. Dress regulations had been brought in during the 1850s, and for the seamen the peakless cap became the standard wear (with a white linen cover for hot weather introduced in 1863) rather than those funny little tarred hats those figures have (wide-brimmed straw hats were also worn in hot climates). Jackets were regulation for cold weather but I think you'd be more likely to see seaman donning the familiar frock with the big blue collar with three white stripes.

Also, by the 1860s beards and moustaches were permitted. The 1860s were the decade of the ridiculous beard (although the decade we are in now is starting to rival it), so you'd want at least some of your men sporting them if you want that 1860s feel.

Having said all that, even though there were dress regulations by this time, they were also rather flagrantly ignored by all and sundry, and the untidy and non-uniform appearance of both officers and men was something the papers regularly got into a tizz about.

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2015, 05:28:14 PM »
Also, by the 1860s beards and moustaches were permitted. The 1860s were the decade of the ridiculous beard (although the decade we are in now is starting to rival it), so you'd want at least some of your men sporting them if you want that 1860s feel.

Having said all that, even though there were dress regulations by this time, they were also rather flagrantly ignored by all and sundry, and the untidy and non-uniform appearance of both officers and men was something the papers regularly got into a tizz about.

So, a bit of putty may be the answer? Not that I'm going down that route just yet..... just keeping it all min mind with the Perry releases mounting up.

Darrell.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2015, 05:45:40 PM »
Yeah, I suppose. Those jackets and hats were still in evidence in the 1860s, but I feel more as best togs for when Her Majesty reviews the fleet at Spithead than for fighting ''orrible savages' in. I'd be happier with fellas in square rig with caps or sennet hats maybe, those guys look a bit old timey for me. But that's just a feeling, really. And beggars can't be choosers, I guess. Don't know what else I'd suggest instead, except perhaps something from an Indian Mutiny range (but hot weather stuff like neck-flaps and tropical helmets would be a problem then). I think if they had suitable beards and if you dumped the fellow with the top hat they'd just about do.

Oh, by the way, it was moustaches and beards. You had to have both or neither in the 1860s, keep them neat, and it was all at Captain's discretion. So if he didn't like beards you couldn't have one, whatever the regs said (which you could possibly give as an excuse for not bearding them up).

And don't ask me if that gun would be right. I know almost nothing about artillery.  :)

« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 05:47:19 PM by Plynkes »

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2015, 06:24:12 PM »
Yeah, I suppose. Those jackets and hats were still in evidence in the 1860s, but I feel more as best togs for when Her Majesty reviews the fleet at Spithead than for fighting ''orrible savages' in. I'd be happier with fellas in square rig with caps or sennet hats maybe, those guys look a bit old timey for me. But that's just a feeling, really. And beggars can't be choosers, I guess. Don't know what else I'd suggest instead, except perhaps something from an Indian Mutiny range (but hot weather stuff like neck-flaps and tropical helmets would be a problem then). I think if they had suitable beards and if you dumped the fellow with the top hat they'd just about do.

Oh, by the way, it was moustaches and beards. You had to have both or neither in the 1860s, keep them neat, and it was all at Captain's discretion. So if he didn't like beards you couldn't have one, whatever the regs said (which you could possibly give as an excuse for not bearding them up).[/

Thanks as per  8)

And don't ask me if that gun would be right. I know almost nothing about artillery.  :)

I'd better keep my next question to myself then  lol :)

Darrell.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2015, 08:34:33 AM »
You are probably best off using the Foundry  Indian Mutiny sailors in sennet hats. IIRC there might be some gun crew there too, I know there was a stonking great 64pdr gun. If not the naval gunners from their Crimea range would probably do the trick.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God