Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 05:23:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691081
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: This Very Ground F&IW AAR  (Read 13996 times)

Offline Cluck Amok

• Bookworm
    • Cluck Amok
This Very Ground F&IW AAR
« on: October 14, 2014, 02:19:29 AM »
We played a pair of games of This Very Ground at Recruits in Kansas City last month in glorious 54mm scale. The scenario was loosely based on the Battle of Lake George. As usual, TVG provided a fun game. . . and in this case, two fun games!

You can check out the scenario description here: http://cluckamok.blogspot.com/2014/08/f-scenario-for-recruits.html

Game One here: http://cluckamok.blogspot.com/2014/09/bloody-morning-scout-game-one.html

and Game Two here: http://cluckamok.blogspot.com/2014/09/bloody-morning-scout-game-two.html

Bests,
Chris (Cluck Amok)

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
Re: This Very Ground F&IW AAR
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 01:30:31 PM »
Lovely - but you need to share those photos.

Only crititism I have is the bases - in my opinion they let the figures and terrain down in being too plain.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline Trooper

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 03:47:57 PM »
Excellent looking terrain, and those John Jenkins figures are indeed gorgeous, and you fielded a good sized contingent, especially knowing how expensive they are. But I have to agree, the plain figure bases let you down, they detracted from that fantastic terrain, and frankly I wouldn't have thought you needed them anyway. The actual figure bases are substantial enough. Just a thought. A couple of pictures added to the forum would also have been nice, but bravo, and well done for a game in 54mm, a size of game which I am currently embracing. This provided great inspiration and encouragement.
They will not force us,
They will stop degrading us,
They will not control us,
We will be victorious!!

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 09:34:32 PM »
It's worth stating that I wouldn't walk away if offered a chance to take part in these games. They really are up there in their overall quality.

I also pulled out some 40mm Sash & Saber last night I had planned to base on 50mm square bases with 4 to a base. These games have made me decide to single base them all - old school style.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 09:37:20 PM by von Lucky »

Offline Cluck Amok

• Bookworm
    • Cluck Amok
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2014, 03:08:56 AM »
Thanks for the feedback, gentlemen!

Per your request for sharing photos, if I figured out how to do it correctly, some photos should accompany this post  ;)

While the bases may have "let me down," they are definitely keeping the soldiers up. After introducing the "fur grass" to the terrain squares, bases for the figures became necessary. Even on the flat cork, some of the figures balance a bit precariously. I made an aesthetic judgement and opted for a base with a simple look and color that I hoped would "blend" with the terrain (without adding more terrain to the bases) and play up the "toy soldier" feel.

All that said, I'm sincerely interested - what would you suggest for the bases? Anyone else with suggestions?

Offline Cluck Amok

• Bookworm
    • Cluck Amok
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2014, 03:17:19 AM »
And a few more photos  :)

Offline Cluck Amok

• Bookworm
    • Cluck Amok
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2014, 03:19:39 AM »
And one more. . .

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2014, 10:43:13 AM »
Lovely stuff as I look at them again with my Friday night glass of red.

I can't believe how convincingly this thread has made me throw out the multi-basing idea I had to doing them like this instead.

Basing wise, I think you want to simulate the table. So either sand/plaster mix painted in earth tones (to match the miniatures' current cast bases) or additionally add varying static grass flock on top of this to match the grass terrain.

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2014, 11:21:03 AM »
These are stunning and the shots of the columns and the breastwork especially so.

The oldschool toy soldier base is plain green to match a plain green tabletop - you have so much more going on that than that. You've worked up your "terrain" to become something more like "scenery" if you catch my meaning. Incorporating some of the colours and materials in your bases will do the trick.

Well done... I'm off for another look at your blog!

Offline raif

• Librarian
    • alea iacta est
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2014, 11:27:47 AM »
short question - do anyone have information if the guys from iron ivan games are active? i tried several times to get access to their yahoo-group to get the errata-files, but no success. no answer to e-mail or that they granted access to their group.

i don't know what i should think about it, but it seems there is no support for their rule-systems.   :-[ unfortunately i have the older issue from the rulebook and need the errata-files.  :'(

Offline Cluck Amok

• Bookworm
    • Cluck Amok
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2014, 02:29:15 PM »
Thanks again for comments and am open to more, of course  :)

Raif - the Iron Ivan Yahoo Group is alive and kicking. It sometimes takes a day or two to get a response.

Offline raif

• Librarian
    • alea iacta est
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2014, 02:49:44 PM »
Thanks again for comments and am open to more, of course  :)

Raif - the Iron Ivan Yahoo Group is alive and kicking. It sometimes takes a day or two to get a response.

I cluck, thanks for info. But i don't spreak from days - i have tried to get access to the group weeks ago. Too i sent mails to the iron ivan guys with no response weeks ago.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2014, 02:56:53 PM »
short question - do anyone have information if the guys from iron ivan games are active? i tried several times to get access to their yahoo-group to get the errata-files, but no success. no answer to e-mail or that they granted access to their group.

i don't know what i should think about it, but it seems there is no support for their rule-systems.   :-[ unfortunately i have the older issue from the rulebook and need the errata-files.  :'(

Drop me your pm and I can send them to you. Their yahoo group is quite active?

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2014, 03:00:58 PM »
Files uploaded here see below :)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2014, 03:30:11 PM »
Well that really does look wonderful. Those John Jenkins figures cost a fortune, don;t they? That must be one heck of a lot of money on the table...  :o

Agree it's a slight pity you were forced to mount them on squares for extra stability. I guess, time permitting, you could always texture and decorate those extra bits of base to match the rest of the integral bases...  :)