Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:15:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691074
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 804
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: This Very Ground F&IW AAR  (Read 13995 times)

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
Re: This Very Ground F&IW AAR
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2015, 05:30:25 PM »
Gorgeous figs and battlefield! You have done a wonderful job presenting the period to the attendees at Recruits. I bet your game was full every time. A quality looking board goes a long way towards attracting players!

Mike Demana
www.firstcommandwargames.com

Offline Cluck Amok

• Bookworm
    • Cluck Amok
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2015, 08:36:36 PM »
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the compliments (and to all who responded to the new basing). Recruits is a fun little con because it's held at a high school ostensibly to expose young'uns to the hobby. I usually run my games multiple times and yes, they are always full, usually with a mixture of enthusiastic kids and "old grognards."

FYI - I haven't played "Song of Drums and Tomahawks" yet but I bought them and read them. Nice work with presentation and adapting the Song engine to the period, as well as lots of good background info.

Bests,
Chris

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2015, 04:39:57 AM »
Thanks, Chris, for the kind words about the rules. I personally think Recruits is one of the best ideas going in the hobby. I've been hoping to do something similar out here in Ohio, but haven't found a time or venue yet. I even have a simplified version of Song of Drums and Tomahawks written out for that type of venue -- to introduce it to kids and new players. One day, I will get around to testing it out on some of my own middle school students!

Keep supporting Recruits -- you are doing good for the hobby, sir!

Mike Demana
www.firstcommandwargames.com

Offline sotek486

• Scientist
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2015, 08:44:06 AM »
Outstanding all around, especially on the new basing!  Gotta make some of those fur tiles ... having g a hard time sourcing decent fur to do it ... don't happen to have a tutorial on how you did it??

Offline Cluck Amok

• Bookworm
    • Cluck Amok
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2015, 06:10:57 AM »
Hi and thanks! I did take some pictures of the grass and road builds with the intention of doing a tutorial but never got it done. I cheated with the "fur." I bought the grass already trimmed and painted by John at JG Miniatures. http://www.jgminiatures.com/
John will do a large mat on commission which provides a mass of consistent grass with which to build the tiles. Not cheap but very nice. I can put together a quick tutorial if that would be of interest?

Bests,
Chris

Offline sotek486

• Scientist
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2015, 09:17:09 AM »
Hi and thanks! I did take some pictures of the grass and road builds with the intention of doing a tutorial but never got it done. I cheated with the "fur." I bought the grass already trimmed and painted by John at JG Miniatures. http://www.jgminiatures.com/
John will do a large mat on commission which provides a mass of consistent grass with which to build the tiles. Not cheap but very nice. I can put together a quick tutorial if that would be of interest?

Bests,
Chris

I would find it interesting :)  Thanks for the referral ... I'll be reaching out to him shortly :)