Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 05:24:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690897
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Saxon Miniatures  (Read 7364 times)

Offline THE CID

• Mastermind
Re: Saxon Miniatures
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2014, 12:01:09 PM »
Being a painter and collector being packaged this way was ok for me. On top of that getting the whole lot for £10 cheaper was a bonus. Why don't you guys who want different time periods get together and take which figures you need. Then there is always the bazaar for doing an odd deal. THE CID.
Ive seen things you people wouldn't believe - Roy Batty.

Offline Juan

• Mad Scientist
    • Manche´s Walpurgisnacht
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2014, 07:30:04 PM »
I think it can be easier to buy only the figures you need, and not a full package of them  :). I expect they will sell the figures in smaller packs.

Offline Gutbukkit

• Mad Scientist
    • Hrafnslith - Dark Age Reenactment
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2014, 07:54:04 PM »
Very nice. That deal will make a nice early birthday present for myself.

Offline Whitwort Stormbringer

• Scientist
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2014, 08:03:37 PM »
All of the minis look excellent, and if I had the money I'd be using them to build some SAGA warbands (Warlords and Hearthguard) from the ground up.  As-is, sadly I just can't justify going all-in, but there are several sculpts in each that really stand out, so if I have the money in the future and/or if he repackages them in a way that would allow me to focus on the sculpts that I'm really drawn to, I'll definitely be getting some.

Of particular note, for me, are:
Olaf Trygvasson
Gunnar Hamunderson
Thorfin Einarson
Eric the Red
Gyrth Godwinson
Alfred the Great
Redwald of Anglia

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2014, 11:52:46 PM »
Very nice, even though a couple are doing that thing where wrists bend at right-angles. (Look at Osric, for example. Strewth it looks painful)

The only problem is that for my Early Saxons, I could only really use 3 or 4 of the Saxon figures - since they seem to be drawn from the entire Saxon period, 400AD - 1066!
And as they are currently packaged, you have to buy the whole lot - £25 for 15 figures, most of which I won't be able to use because they represent figures from much later periods...

I gotta learn how to tell the difference. :( Helmet style...?

Offline Nevyen

• Scientist
    • 5th Column Wargaming
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2014, 02:55:33 AM »
They look great will have to get both sets - easily the saxon's can be sply across my age of arthur and viking age armies 1

Offline THE CID

• Mastermind
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2014, 09:38:48 AM »
What type of helmet has Harald Hadrada got on, has it got a full face guard. THE CID.

Offline cram

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2014, 10:42:33 AM »
They look great! What with Saxon Miniatures and Footsore Miniatures releasing top quality Dark Age sculpts now and into the future, I'm really feeling spoilt.

I agree with the complaints about the packaging. It does say on the site: ""As always, I would really appreciate your input,observations, corrections or even critcisms…all these will help in improving the range. So if you let me know what you would like to see, drop me an email". I'm sure he will release these in smaller pack sizes if enough people email him asking to do so.

Hope earlier Dark Age gets looked at in the future too. Late Roman and Arthurian would be great, I too would love to see Goths and Franks released.

As for the later Dark Age future releases, I would expect to see Normans next, but I really hope he does ranges for the Scots and the Welsh, both of which are sadly neglected by manufacturers at present.

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2014, 06:32:26 PM »
Utterly love these, and they have come at the right time as I am getting back into my Dark Ages stuff of late. The only figure I don't like, sadly, is Brodir of Man. He is one of my favourite historical characters of the period, but that figure looks naff. Gripping Beast do a better one, so I'll stick with that for Brodir. The rest of the figures are bloody wonderful, though. Big fan of Gripping Beast's various figures as it is, so these were alwasy going to appeal if it's the same sculptor as many of their ranges.  :)

Offline The Dozing Dragon

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • The Little Soldier Company
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2014, 08:42:43 PM »
When he moved into the world of Rupert the Bear etc I thought we'd lost him for good. Wonderful sculpts though;

http://www.classicrupertbearshop.com/contents/en-uk/d33.html

Offline dm

• Scientist
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2014, 09:42:04 PM »
Excellent Dark Age sculpts all round 8) and good to see him back sculpting again :) As for the different periods i dont mind and many of these would make stunning command figures for many different armies/Saga Warbands

Offline Percal

• Bookworm
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2014, 07:52:05 PM »
Those are outstanding!! I may be getting those vikings soon, they'll make perfect addons and warlords for my Saga project.

Offline cram

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2014, 07:46:50 PM »
Just thought I would let you know that I emailed Colin about pack sizes and future releases. He was kind enough to get back in touch and said that many people had wondered if he will be doing smaller pack sizes in the future, his reply to this is a maybe, so we shall have to wait and see. As for future releases....Arthurian seems to be the way he will be going!

Cheers Marc.

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2014, 08:17:06 PM »
Arthurians...oh dear...my poor wallet (and painting schedule)... Must resist...
Repeat after me..."I do not need more Arthurians...I do not need more Arthurians..."

Offline RAD

• Librarian
  • "If it doesn't hurt, it doesn't count"The Redeemer
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2014, 09:53:01 PM »
Of course you won't. As i won't either. Can't miss that one and Arthurians even less. Sculptors turn lead into gold, but we, painters, are doomed to turn our gold into lead. DOOMED, BWAHAHAHA!