Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:24:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Some questions  (Read 2752 times)

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
Some questions
« on: October 20, 2014, 12:48:28 AM »
1, Am I correct in thinking that because the martial arts talent is zero hands it can be used with other weapons? For instance a figure armed with two knives and martial arts would have a FV bonus of +3.

2, In campaign mode do you pay the cost for your company beforehand, and then allowed to go over this as you spend victory points as the campaign progresses?

3, In SDRS you mention in the acknowledgements two magazine articles. Could you tell me which magazine and issue please? I have missed them.
He that trades Liberty for Security will soon find that he has neither.

Benjamin Franklin

Offline Silbuster

• Scientist
Re: Some questions
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 06:27:58 PM »
Good point about the martial arts talent. I hadn't noticed that before. Logically if it were only confined to unarmed combat then it would be two hands. So zero does suggest that it adds to other weapons. I'll be interested to read Craig's decision.

Offline oabee

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 10:42:48 PM »
1, Am I correct in thinking that because the martial arts talent is zero hands it can be used with other weapons? For instance a figure armed with two knives and martial arts would have a FV bonus of +3.

In the explanation of the Talent Martial Artist--remember,it's not just a weapon, it's a Talent--we read, "Can fight unarmed [my emphasis] very effectively..."

So, no, you can't combine it with a weapon: by it's very nature it's "unarmed" combat. It doesn't take any hands because practitioners of the martial arts can use their feet or head or whatever, allowing the fighter to have their hands otherwise occupied, or even tied behind their back! If your practitioner has a fighting weapon, he'll have to choose between it and the Martial Arts Talent.

Unless Craig says otherwise.

I guess.  :?

Another great value of the Talent is the addition of an extra inch of speed. A good bargain for only three points.
I was talking aloud to myself. A habit of the old: they choose the wisest person present to speak to; the long explanations needed by the young are wearying.
Gandalf

Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face.
Harry Dresden

Offline Irishrover13

• Scientist
  • Most of what I say is lost in translation.
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 12:44:43 AM »

Another great value of the Talent is the addition of an extra inch of speed. A good bargain for only three points.

I also like the +1 to melee defense.
“You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
― C.S. Lewis

Offline oabee

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 12:56:44 AM »
I also like the +1 to melee defense.

Right, because of the +1 Speed.  :) Forgot that.

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Youth & Talent are no match for Age and Treachery.
    • The Ministry of Gentlemanly Warfare
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014, 06:17:10 PM »
In the explanation of the Talent Martial Artist--remember,it's not just a weapon, it's a Talent--we read, "Can fight unarmed [my emphasis] very effectively..."

So, no, you can't combine it with a weapon: by it's very nature it's "unarmed" combat. It doesn't take any hands because practitioners of the martial arts can use their feet or head or whatever, allowing the fighter to have their hands otherwise occupied, or even tied behind their back! If your practitioner has a fighting weapon, he'll have to choose between it and the Martial Arts Talent.

Unless Craig says otherwise.

I guess.  :?

Mike is correct.
My sincerest contrafibularities
General Lord Craig Arthur Wellesey Cartmell (ret'd)
https://theministryofgentlemanlywarfare.wordpress.com/

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Deeside Defenders
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2014, 06:37:57 PM »
Cheers. Can you comment on 2 and 3?

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2014, 08:30:53 AM »
2, In campaign mode do you pay the cost for your company beforehand, and then allowed to go over this as you spend victory points as the campaign progresses?

Are you working from IHMN or HVF?  I ask because in HVF we rework the campaign section to make it both more complete and clearer.
If you do not have HVF here is the relevant passage from section 9.0:
At the beginning of the campaign, each player writes up a 300-point Company roster.
Then before each game he chooses 250 points’ worth of troops from this roster to take part in it.
Victory points can be spent to replace lost comrades up to the 300-point maximum and to add or replace equipment.
In the last game of the campaign – the grand finale – the players can use their full 300-point Company roster.
Note that these points levels are advisory only and should be adjusted to suit your fellow players and yourself.

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2014, 08:37:50 AM »
3, In SDRS you mention in the acknowledgements two magazine articles. Could you tell me which magazine and issue please? I have missed them.

The magazine is Wargames Soldiers & Strategy edited by the inestimable Mr Guy Bowers esq. Both were companies that we later published on the blog in the Bonus materials Section:
http://inhermajestysname.wordpress.com/additional-material/
Item 10: The Kentish Men
Item 19: The Secret Service Bureau - Grey Section

It should be noted that long awaited Martian Invasion mini-supplement for IHMN shall be published in January 2015 by WSS. It begins with those fated words "My name is Lord Edward Ronan Curr and if you are reading this you are the Resistance".

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Deeside Defenders
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2014, 09:29:55 AM »
Thank you.