Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:55:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: (Kickstarter) Red Box Games  (Read 6587 times)

Offline Nikdo

• Assistant
(Kickstarter) Red Box Games
« on: October 20, 2014, 06:23:45 PM »
Tre Manor is running his 5th Kickstarter for his fantasy range.  We've funded the first 5 Njorn adventurers and 5 Aenglish men-at-arms.  Up next is another Njorn warrior and an Elf Fighter.  Tre is also working on a few halflings and a band of brigands.  Be sure to take a look:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1103158358/red-box-games-heroic-fantasy-miniatures

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Re: (Kickstarter) Red Box Games
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 09:04:39 PM »
I've been patiently planning a Red Box purchase recently, thanks for pointing this out.  Will give it a look.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Nikdo

• Assistant
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 09:56:40 PM »
Glad to help out, Elbows.  I love the RBG line.

BTW, I checked out your painting blog.  I like your painting style.  I've been using a very similar basing style lately.  I think the technique I've come up with is a little different but the end result is very similar.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 10:25:05 PM »
Yeah, mine happened by accident, but works well...and helps tie everything together.  And most importantly it's easy.  lol

Offline Jorny

• Bookworm
  • Space Age Romantic
    • Geek And Garden
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 10:40:38 PM »
I pledged on this one even though I really shouldn't (my unpainted leadpile is starting to stare back at me). Couldn't resist though since I am a huge fan of Tre Manor's style of sculpting!

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 06:21:06 AM »
Love tee manors stuff but wish he would do some more non human bad guys in a kickstarter. Still I'm after a small human good guy warband so... Maybe.

Offline Comsquare

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2014, 10:09:27 PM »
Anyone here EU based who is doing that kickstarter?
Would like to get me one of the minis, just one, so maybe someone could help me getting that :)

Offline Arthadan

• Scientist
    • Forge of Doom Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2014, 11:26:13 AM »
Me, but I'm from Spain. You'll probably want somebody from your own country to cut down shipping cost.

Tre is going medieval on this KS (miniatures-wise, mind you):

Offline Nikdo

• Assistant
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2014, 03:59:58 PM »
Yeah, he is offering some more Njorn which have a Dark Ages feel and some Aenglish which have a Middle Ages feel.  The second image that Arthadan posted is a WIP of his first group of brigands.  Here is a link to the update about the brigands:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1103158358/red-box-games-heroic-fantasy-miniatures/posts/1026531

Offline BigB

• Librarian
    • The Ocala Garrison
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2014, 07:12:13 PM »
I have to ask, are these the normal Red Box Games scale and not the scale he uses when he sculpts for Reaper?  I LOVE his sculpting as RBG but the figs are just too small to mix with my "heroic" scale collection.

Offline Nikdo

• Assistant
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2014, 09:39:39 PM »
@BigB - Yes, they are the RBG "true scale" so they generally don't look good mixed with heroic scale miniatures.

Offline qazbnm

• Librarian
    • http://qazbnmsreturn.blogspot.se
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2014, 09:44:51 PM »
I'm with you BigB. The scale is unfortunately wrong to fit in with the rest of my fantasy collection too. I participated in the last kickstarter to get one model to try out but still haven't gotten around to painting it. I thought the ks went very well, no long delays and everything worked out ok. So for those of you that think the scale will work out, give it a go. Tre really sculpts amazing minis.

Offline Nikdo

• Assistant
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2014, 10:09:03 PM »
I have a large collection of RBG figures but I completely understand people's reluctance to mix scales.  I'm very sensitive to this myself.  Of course I want everyone to like RBG and buy lots of his figures but I also don't want people to be disappointed by the scale so I'll be frank.

I really like Tre's style and the scale/proportions of the miniatures but I generally don't mix them with figures from other lines. 

For instance, I have a growing collection of Otherworld Miniatures and don't have any problem mixing the monsters with my RBG collection.  However, most of the PCs and some of the humanoids (goblins, orcs) don't look good in my opinion.  The exception in the Otherworld PC line is the dwarves, halflings, and gnomes look pretty good side-by-side with RBGs figures.  Larger humanoids like lizardmen, gnolls, and ogres look good.

I mix my RBG figures pretty freely with my pre-painted D&D collection for RPGs.  Again, the D&D line is not consistent so some figures look better than others.

Likewise, the RBG scale looks terrible with anything GW (except perhaps LotR), most Reaper, and DarkSword.  DarkSword uses similar realistic proportions but are much larger in scale so they end up towering over RBG figures.

What the RBG line has going for it is internal consistency (in terms of scale, proportions, and style) and a wide range of very highly detailed characters (though many are out of print).  Also, Tre is a super nice guy and is actively engaged with his fans.

Hope this honest assessment helps. 
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 10:33:59 PM by Nikdo »

Offline Gallahad

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2014, 12:59:12 AM »
Tre's figures would scale very well with the Perry WOTR range and GW's LOTR range.  They really are very tiny.  I am another one who doesn't buy RBG's stuff because it would look out of place with everything else I own.  If Tre had decided to keep realistic proportions, but then scale everything up by a couple of mm, I would likely buy exclusively RBG miniatures.  I love love love the sculpts, but they look silly next to everything else I own.  A good example of what I wish Tre had done would be Helldorado miniatures or many from the old Rackham line.  They are finely detailed and have nice realistic proportions, but they are tall enough that they don't look out of place next to "Heroic" type miniatures.   Miniatures also get easier to paint well the larger they get.  It takes true skill to get decent faces on 25mm stuff.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2014, 04:13:59 AM »
I've hesitated about RBG for that sole reason.  I have a lot of Otherworld stuff --- how do they scale compared?  I just don't think the RBG would work well enough with my random smattering of miniatures.

I do want some though...grrr...