Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 12, 2024, 12:20:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1697202
  • Total Topics: 118815
  • Online Today: 423
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: New Late Roman Range  (Read 5901 times)

Offline area23

• Mastermind
    • area23
Re: New Late Roman Range
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2014, 10:40:53 AM »
Strange that nobody does thicker wire spears, thinking of it. Both Gripping Beast and Aventine sell pewter spears though.
If you don't believe in lead, you're already dead.
+++AREA23 BLOG+++

Offline WillieB

• Mastermind
  • Gotcha!
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2014, 11:19:25 AM »
Oddly enough I prefer the cast Gripping Beast spears, simply because IMHO they look better. I even go as far as to drill out the Musketeer (and other brands) hands to fit in the thicker GB spear. These would be replaced as well.
(possible tip*) I don't glue these on permanently with superglue, so if a spear bends beyond rescue, I'm almost always able to just easily replace it with a new one. And yes, that means thinning the GB hands somewhat in most cases and folding them into a 'gripping' shape.

The cast on shields however, are what will probably keep me from buying them. Another oval(ish) shape that won't fit in with any of the existing ranges.
Separate shields are a godsend if you want to apply shield decals and even when not.
I can get a more 'uniform' look (if desired) by just adding shields 'A' to figure range 'B','C' or whatever. Or do the opposite and go for a more 'barbarian' look.

They look like really nice figures, but as said, I'm probably going to give them a miss.

Panic, Chaos and Disorder. My job here is done

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2014, 11:57:03 AM »
I quite like them and may avail myself of a few come payday.

Two things strike me.
Are these for the mid to late 3rdC onwards? There seems to be a mix of helmets - difficult to tell from the pic and I may be my eyes, but some look ridge helmet type while others look more italic. I like this though, I want less uniformity in my legions please, especially in this period.

The shields being separate make no odds to me, but I wonder if they are large enough to take any of the transfers around. (Something to bear in mind if planning more, these transfers are popular!). The shield looks a little small (again just maybe the pic), compared with those found at Dura.

Good figures and a welcome addition - look forward to seeing more and a webpage too please ?

Thanks!

Offline Graven Steve

• Bookworm
    • http://groups.yahoo.com/group/JimbowensDisturbia/
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2014, 02:25:53 PM »
Emir - you are bang on with your time period sir - Jim loved the period, with its potential for a nice mix of kit, and it's a shame these weren't given a proper release, but I always loved the 40mm figs more - so they had priority when it came to moulding. They were all Jim's children and should have been treated equally!

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2014, 02:44:29 PM »
Now I know the sculptor and got the timeframe right I'm looking forward to the rest of the range with even more relish.

Thanks for sharing that Steve.

Offline bigredbat

• Mad Scientist
    • BigRedBatCave
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2014, 04:47:42 PM »
Interesting period; that puts them between the A&A Mid Romans and the various Late Imperial ranges.   How many different sculpts are there?

Re the shields, maybe send Steve at LBMS a couple of samples?  He will have suitable designs that could be re-sized.

It's funny, I don't much like a cast-on spear, but I don't mind a cast on shield.  Different strokes!  ;-)

Offline dm

• Scientist
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2014, 08:33:05 PM »
I really like them and looking forward to seeing some painted :)

Offline Graven Steve

• Bookworm
    • http://groups.yahoo.com/group/JimbowensDisturbia/
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2014, 09:20:11 PM »
Simon - there are about 30 figures in the range

Offline bigredbat

• Mad Scientist
    • BigRedBatCave
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2014, 09:23:41 PM »
Thanks Steve- look forward to seeing the rest!

Offline area23

• Mastermind
    • area23
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2014, 01:04:28 PM »
28mm Jim Bowen should work well enough with Copplestone in style. Hope there are good choice of early saxons in the mix.

Very Warlord Chronicles in feel.

Offline area23

• Mastermind
    • area23
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2014, 01:31:44 PM »
@Steve; These 30 miniatures were a range parallel to the 36mm England Invaded range or early dark ages only? What can we expect to see released?

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2014, 10:41:58 PM »
Shield wise there is always VVV - http://www.3vwargames.co.uk/

And these are on my must have list. Been looking for elite looking late Romans for my dark ages based fantasy/myth human army.

The cloaks on these will help them stand out as such as well.
RP Tabletop Blog:

RP vlog channel: https://www.youtube.com/@RandomPlatypus

Offline MediumAl

• Librarian
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2014, 07:43:51 PM »
Easy enough to replace the spears. Cut them off above and below the hand, then use a pin-vise or a mini-drill to put a hole down through it, and slide in a steel spear from North Star or the like.
Don't mind cast on shields, and if I'm painting the shield design then I don't mind if the shields are a slightly different size. I think a bit of irregularity suits very late Romans, so like mixing figures. However, I like the LBM shields in particular, so if they were of a size to take the same decals as one or more of the other manufactureres, that would be good.