Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 08:47:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690903
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 907
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Corn fields  (Read 7130 times)

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
    • The Shed Wars Experience
Re: Corn fields
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2014, 02:38:23 PM »
I built mine out of aquarium plants

build details here

http://shedwars.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/a-simple-crop-field.html

Offline Weesparky

• Assistant
    • Fictional Miniatures
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2014, 03:25:27 PM »
I made my corn field out of twist ties, the kind used to seal bread bags. They can be ordered online. Easiest is Green paper type, no painting necessary, just glue to a base.

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2014, 04:14:50 PM »
That's a great idea!!

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2014, 06:32:23 PM »
Firstly, I apologise for the lack of images but I felt it unethical to reproduce photos from a magazine without getting permission.

This technique for reproducing cornfields was first published in Mainline Modeler August 1999 and written by Ken Patterson.

1 The construction started with Christmas tree wreath material which was cut into 2 inch sections.

2 Melt the cut pieces with a heat stripper (paint stripper) gun. let the small leaves drop until they look like dry shriveled up corn leaves. It is sometimes best to 'thin out' the branches before melting.

3 Hold the stalks with a set of pliers. If you feel the stalks look too pointy at the top, cut this top section off until it looks right.

4 Image four shows the three steps - the standard Christmas tree wreath, the stalks melted and the stems drooping and finally - the painted cornfields.

5 Insert each cornstalk into pre-drilled holes.

6 Image six shows a section of railway track with the cornfield in the background. It looks very realistic.

I hope that this helps.

Tony

Offline Jerekin

• Assistant
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2014, 10:28:50 PM »
@Dampfpanzerwagon: Thank you for the tip. I found this pic on Mr. Pattersons homepage. Is this the result from the technique you have spoken of?
http://www.kenpatterson.com/images/730_corn_wm.jpg

@Weesparky: Man this idea is awesome! A small effort with a huge result.  :-*

How long were your single strips? Can you let us know something more about your twisting technique?

I suppose you took about six strips, twisted them about one inch while leaving two leafs behind midway, then forming three smaller young shots at same height and leaving a small tip in the mid. Correct me if I am wrong.
 :)

Offline Weesparky

• Assistant
    • Fictional Miniatures
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2014, 04:39:19 AM »
The twist ties I found were four inches long. I used five at a time. I would "stack" the five ties and then twist them tightly in the middle for approximately one inch. Getting a tight twist is important, as it will prevent the corn plant from falling apart when you cut the ties in the middle. After the initial twist, I would cut the ties in half. Turn the two outer ties outward, give the three remaining ties a couple of twists, and then turn the two outward ties twist out turn twist tie. Bwahahahahaha...

I could have demonstrated the "technique" seven or eight times while I was attempting to write it out. It took me maybe twenty minutes of playing with the ties to figure out what worked best for me. The hardest part was finding someplace local to order the ties from. I did it with the paper ties, but the paper sides will pop apart sometimes when twisted excessively exposing the inner wire.

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2014, 09:35:04 AM »
@Dampfpanzerwagon: Thank you for the tip. I found this pic on Mr. Pattersons homepage. Is this the result from the technique you have spoken of?
http://www.kenpatterson.com/images/730_corn_wm.jpg

@Weesparky: Man this idea is awesome! A small effort with a huge result.  :-*

How long were your single strips? Can you let us know something more about your twisting technique?

I suppose you took about six strips, twisted them about one inch while leaving two leafs behind midway, then forming three smaller young shots at same height and leaving a small tip in the mid. Correct me if I am wrong.
 :)

That's it.

Tony