Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:56:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Command/Handgun rule.  (Read 1457 times)

Offline Bergh

• Scientist
Command/Handgun rule.
« on: October 26, 2014, 07:37:38 PM »
yes thats right, that rule is not included included in the rulebook lol, but it should be!

Simply add this to the end of the "Command:" rule (page 25):
"Models with the Command Special ability can only use Handgun/pistol type ranged weapons".

Why have I come to this conclusion?, there are several factors involved, both theme and game balance.

I always play SA as i would see an horror movie or each scenario this weeks episode of some TV series, and I try not to min/max, but it can be hard too impose such taste on new players (and myself sometimes).
First of all the theme of the game is most important and I see Threshold Characters in a bigger perspective, as the person taking tough decisions, both under fire and between games so to say. Its hard to give orders while your firing your Tommy gun or reload your shotgun.
A real movie/TV series hero, have more simple and sometimes brutal sidekicks to take care of all the heavy stuff, including using firepower to keep the opponents at bay, while he use his wits to ruin the evil baddies plan, even possible being the one knowing a few tricks, like spells. 

As weapons have a fixed point cost, it cost the same if you have it on a Dex6+ or Dex2+. this is pretty unbalanced and I don't think there are a simply fix for this, which would follow the simply style of the game, but it could atleast be a fix that your main character (Threshold or Lurker) is the most logical choice of investing the cost of weapons on, and gives the agents/cultist a better role in the game, while opening up, game-wise for your character to take roles like handling books of forbidden knowledge.

About firepower: a .45 handgun with D6+2 damage is actually a very powerful weapon on the game, so its no like your Character don't have killing potential. 

I know I'm stepping on some toes when I say I DON'T want a "Superhero with a Heavy machine gun killing monsters"-game, I got plenty of those games on my shelf already. I really like SA for its Threshold concept, yes your main Character is tough, but he's can't handling things on his own, I think this should be empathized even more in 2nd edition.

I sincerely thinks this little rule addition will adjust alot of things in the game, and give agents/cultist/generic henchmen a more varied role in the game, both in the starting setup and in the higher BP games. 
I hope Uncle Mike will read this and think about it for the 2nd edition of the rules.
-Brian Bjerregaard Bergh